Cigar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the pleasure of smoking one of these bad boys the other evening. Nice medium to full bodied cigar. It started off strong and proceeded to get stronger as I got to the end. Cool burning all the way to the nub. I'll be looking for a box of these!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Finally got to try one of these. They only had the natural. Seems the maduro are impossible to come by.

I agree with MADURO_MAS_DURO. It started off strong, and pretty much stayed that way to the end. Never got harsh. Just plenty of strong, smooth tobacco flavor.

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts
I had both the maduro and natural. I thought they both started stong, but the maduro stayed a little stonger all the way through. The natural had a better taste though (don't get me wrong, the maduro tasted good too).
All in all I'd say I preferred the maduro just b/c I like my smokes stonger :pu

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
The naturals are excellent cigars and I just scored a box of the maduros for Christmas and can't wait to try one!

·
Punch Suckling in Brain
1,116 Posts
Re: La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel

I can't believe that no one has put a review on these in over a year and a half. This past weekend I had the Natural version of the La Flor Dominicana DL Chisel.

The wrapper was very smooth, not veiny in the least and had a uniform dark brown color. The chisel head was almost perfectly wrapped and construction overall was very good. This cigar feels much heavier than it looks, but it was not too tightly packed that affected the draw.

The CUT. Needless to say I was a bit confused, the shop owner advised either a punch through the middle of the chisel head, or a regular cut off the end of the chisel. I did not want to crush the head with punch cutter, as I figured what most likely would happen, so I opted for the regular cut with just the smallest part off the end.

I half expected this cigar to 'feel' wierd in the mouth and be hard to smoke, but I was suprised. The chisel head fit well and was very easy to smoke

The burn was very even the whole way through, only in the last 1/4 did it start to go uneven. Even more suprising, I lit up this cigar right after the tip of the UNC/MSU game and it lasted through 2 mins to go. That's well over 1hr 45 mins, not to bad.

As for flavor. This cigar started off very smooth and flavorful. Not toasty or bitter, but what I would say true tobacco flavor. It switched over to a strong full flavor, still not unpleasant but all tobacco. Gave the same type of feeling in the mouth as a Opus or other "strong" cigar. Until the end this cigar stayed smooth and smokeable.

Overall impression- I was very impressed with this cigar. For $6 I had the feeling I was just buying the novelty of the chisel head. I was very suprised to find and excellent cigar underneath. I am a fan of any stick that really changes flavors while smoking. This one is no exception. I would say if you are not a fan of a fuller bodied smoke to stay away, but any med--full smoker should give this one a try.

I have one more in my humi that I will forget about for a while and see if it gets even better.

·
Registered
803 Posts

One of my favorite NC's. I smoked one for about 2 hours (no joke) once during a poker game...beautiful, tasty, and full. I think LFD is one underated smoke.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

I love the chisel head! This cigar also knocked me on my ars! :w

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts

My local shop has both the maduro and nat wrappers for around 6 bucks. I usually have a couple around for when I want a "one cigar" evening .... because after one of these I'm done for the night.

·
Registered
72 Posts

I had the 'pleasure' of the maduro LfD DL this past weekend while sitting with work buddies in the Texas hill country on a star-filled night. We each exchanged a stick (sort of a PIF, but only one stick) and I ended up with the DL (I passed a CAO Anniv Cameroon). This was my first ever LfD of any kind...I was impressed with the construction (firm but not overly so and a nice oily wrapper) and was very excited because I love maduro's.

Prior to lighting up, we each paraded to the bar for our favorite stogie-drink...mine happens to be a little bit of ginger ale with the remainder of the tall glass filled with JD! :D

Well, I'll make this long story short...we bull**** for a while and rolled some dice for a while (broke even) and bull**** some more and I was still drawing on this puppy! Most of the others were long finished and I still had a couple of inches to go!! Just to paint the picture, throughout this 90 minutes or so of activity we were getting up and grabbing drinks from the bar, heading to the bathroom, etc...

Here lies my fatal mistake...I let my neighbor get up and get me my drink the last couple of drink rounds, so I didn't leave my chair for about 30 minutes, which coincided with the final inch or two of the DL...well........now it is time to stand up and head to bed......

WOW!!

I almost fell down! :r I've NEVER had that feeling from a cigar. I know it wasn't just the drinks because I've drank more and not felt even close to how I felt that night...I have to say that I was a bit suspect when I've read earlier stories of how a cigar hit someone hard like this 'cause it had never happened to me...well, this baby made a believer out of me! :w

I have to say that I'll probably wait a while before I jump up and smoke her again, but I'm sure I get back on this horse sometime and see what happens again.

Grizz

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

I can beat that! I did not move for 45mins. Then I got up to go to bed and almost fell over the side of the 20ft deck. haha

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts

grizzrider said:
Here lies my fatal mistake...I let my neighbor get up and get me my drink the last couple of drink rounds, so I didn't leave my chair for about 30 minutes, which coincided with the final inch or two of the DL...well........now it is time to stand up and head to bed......

WOW!!

I almost fell down! :r I've NEVER had that feeling from a cigar. I know it wasn't just the drinks because I've drank more and not felt even close to how I felt that night...I have to say that I was a bit suspect when I've read earlier stories of how a cigar hit someone hard like this 'cause it had never happened to me...well, this baby made a believer out of me! :w

Grizz
And you just thought my name was Sally huh? So smooth that you nub it and then it nubs you. Nice review.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts