Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All, Have touted these in the past and with my consistantly pleasurable smoking experiences will continue to do so, and these are the Occidentals, Particularly the Havana Sun Growns. Yet to smoke a bad one. Medium body, good construction , great burn and draw, minimal aftertaste. Not a world beater but a consistantly good honest cigar. Have spent more than twice the per stick cost on other HSG's and felt like for the bucks they are at least the equal of these pricier smokes. They come in on average for about 3 bucks a stick. Incidentally for what it's worth the Occidental HSG Robusto scored a 90 in the last CA. Not bad for a 3 dollar smoke ! Frank B

·
-
11,412 Posts
cool, i've always wanted to try one of the regular line Occidentals.

my buddies (who i started on cigars) kinda laugh at me when i say the Don Asa's i've had for more than half a year taste better than half the high $$ stuff they give me. i got my bundle of 50 for under $20 off c-bid. got 'em as a mooch cigar, but now all my mooches have their own stash.

·
-
11,412 Posts
speakin' of cheap. i just had a connie on the way back from lunch. great smokes. i need to get a few bundles of #9 maduros pretty soon. they're gonna be my "everyday" smoke once i rid my humi of some of the other stuff i have.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Yada yada yada. But is nice to have my own stash. Except my humi is STILL messed up. I give up. Time to go humi hunting.

Anyway I also enjoy cheap cigars. CVs are still one of my fav non-cubans to smoke.

:pu

·
-
11,412 Posts
coppertop, what in the H-E-double-hockeysticks is wrong with it now?

i'll give you a call on my way home from work.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
It won't keep it's fuggin humidity. I'm wicked pissed

·
-
11,412 Posts
wicked, huh? like gnarley, gag me with a spoon, dude. i know that tweeks your melon when a buff bro like yourself has that jack his high.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
No, you bastage.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Copper I have been having the same problem. I think a combination of things sucked all the moisture out of my humidors this winter, it sucks waiting for everything to stabilize again... one day I'll learn...

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
I used to have problems with my credo, but then I got a knockoff of climmax beads at my local shop and I have 0 complaints. Good stuff.

·
-
11,412 Posts
coppertops humi has 3 drawers in front with nothing covering the drawers. y'know, it's just 3 slide out drawers, so i think that those aren't sealing good enough to hold the humidity in.

he's also using climmax media, and that had helped, but i think it might just be the design of the humi itself.

i'd see if you can exchange it, coppertop. maybe we can do something during lunch and discuss (my wife has a dr. appt, i'm free for chow).

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a bad experience with a cheap smoke today....purchased a Don Jose Maduro something or other for $1.65 at lunch today at a nearby liquor store that also has a walk-in humidor.

Yuck! I wasn't expecting quality but man, this thing was nasty. Harsh as heck, bitter aftertaste...worse than smoking a cigarette. I think I took 4-5 puffs before tossing it. Of course, I understood the risks associated with trying a $1.65 cigar but figured I would at least give it a shot.

·
-
11,412 Posts
what's funny is some Not cheap cigars taste the same way.

don't try any don diego reserves, or you'll feel the same way you did today...

·
Registered
106 Posts
IHT -

Your warning comes too late as I have already tried one of those. :pu

I have also tried the Playboy by Don Diego....that was one of the first cigars I purchased a few weeks ago. I though it was OK but just too mild and not enough flavor for my tastes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ditto to what IHT said also ,it's bad enough to smoke a cheap, crappy, cigar & toss it, & not cry over a buck & a half, but when you pay good money for the same experience that can PYO. Unfortunately that's part of the "learning curve"

·
Registered
58 Posts
My goto cheap smoke of the moment is the El Credito. Very similar to the LGC Series R. I hear they are from the same factory, leaf etc. With California tax they are still less that $4, and bundles are about $60. PM me for a supplier if you're interested.

·
-
11,412 Posts
my "go to" cheap cigar was Don Asa (50 bundle off c-bid for less than $20), which aren't bad with some age. mine are actually pretty darn good, a little nutty and coffee flavored.

i also use to like "5 Vegas", they were pretty creamy, but i jacked them all up...

i'm going to stock up on some Connies when i get back from my next 2 trips. i really like the #9 Maduros (punch/hdm). under a buck a stick, that aint bad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.