Cigar Forums banner

Kitchen Cutlery... Whatcha got?

2K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Scap 
#1 ·
I use the Chicago Cutlery Insignia2 18-Piece Knife Block Set. It's not their best but it does well for my purposes.

What's in your kitchen?

#3 ·
I buy them by the piece as I need them to. I always find myself using just 3 knives out of my collection.

Enso HD 5.5 Prep knife Damascus with VG10 core made in Japan
Ryky Tran "Burrefection" 240mm Gyuto Damascus with VG10 core made by Tojiro out of Japan
North Arm 8" Chef Knife S30V made in BC

I'll take pics tonight and post em tomorrow. Pics if you got em guys, I love me some knife pics.

#7 ·
These are my 3 go to's. I have a butcher block of knives and a whole drawer of knives but I rarely use anything but these 3 knives. The Japanese blades I wont use on anything frozen or anything that I think I might hit a super hard bone with. These knives are prone to chipping if you hit anything over 60 - 61 hardness.

20210712_210728.jpg

Attachments

#12 ·
These are my 3 go to's. I have a butcher block of knives and a whole drawer of knives but I rarely use anything but these 3 knives. The Japanese blades I wont use on anything frozen or anything that I think I might hit a super hard bone with. These knives are prone to chipping if you hit anything over 60 - 61 hardness.

20210712_210728.jpg
I have been putting together a set of Japanese Enso VG10 damascus knives. So far I have from the 10 inch down now I need some of the specialty slicers! I believe that last one of @ADRUNKK is an Enso

For the money they are hard to beat and look very nice

#25 ·
Picked up a couple more Japanese knives. One of the Petty's and Honesuki's are Xmas gifts for my mom.

Sharp little bastards. Barely nicked my knuckle while unboxing the Nakiri and felt it hit bone. Small little cut but it bled for a minute.

20211214_165338.jpg

20211216_194806.jpg

20211214_164051.jpg

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
@ADRUNKK, now that's a beautiful collection, including the Japanese honesukis, kiritsukes, debas, sujihikis and nakiris. Makes you want to gut fish and slice sushi! I noticed in you earlier post that you bought a knife from Ryky Tran. I've watched all his YouTube videos and bought a strop from the Burrfection store. Now I just have to get motivated to practice whetstone sharpening on my old dull Zwilling chef's knife and Wustof paring knives that can barely cut through butter. The Japanese knives don't need sharpening yet but I wouldn't even risk trying to sharpen them at this point.

#28 ·
Thank you Piper. I think they're beautiful as well. I have 2 knives from Ricky Tran... well 2 of them with his name on it. Most of the Japanese knives on my wall came from the Burrfection store but only two bare his name.

Practice makes perfect on the sharpening. It's definitely an art form and so far I'm still drawing with coloring crowns. I can get a knife sharp but not as sharp as Ricky can. I'll keep trying and get on his level one day.

Xmas morning I took a chance and bought some more knives although these ones aren't Japanese. They're made in Canada. 67 layer damascus steel with VG10 core. Rosewood handles. 61 HRC. 5 knives total. A chef, cleaver, santoku, utility, and boning knife.

The knives were marked down to an incredibly low price and I couldn't pass it up. I waffled for a day and a half because it seemed like it was too good of a deal; but eventually I caved and took a swing at it. I'm actually very impressed with the workmanship and quality of these knives. I got all 5 for the price of 1 or 2 japanese knives. I will wait another month or two and see how the edge holds up. Hopefully these truely are VG10 core.

20220103_182508.jpg

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.