Cigar Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Picked up a couple more Japanese knives. One of the Petty's and Honesuki's are Xmas gifts for my mom.

Sharp little bastards. Barely nicked my knuckle while unboxing the Nakiri and felt it hit bone. Small little cut but it bled for a minute.

20211214_165338.jpg

20211216_194806.jpg

20211214_164051.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
@ADRUNKK, now that's a beautiful collection, including the Japanese honesukis, kiritsukes, debas, sujihikis and nakiris. Makes you want to gut fish and slice sushi! I noticed in you earlier post that you bought a knife from Ryky Tran. I've watched all his YouTube videos and bought a strop from the Burrfection store. Now I just have to get motivated to practice whetstone sharpening on my old dull Zwilling chef's knife and Wustof paring knives that can barely cut through butter. The Japanese knives don't need sharpening yet but I wouldn't even risk trying to sharpen them at this point.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
@ADRUNKK, now that's a beautiful collection, including the Japanese honesukis, kiritsukes, debas, sujihikis and nakiris. Makes you want to gut fish and slice sushi! I noticed in you earlier post that you bought a knife from Ryky Tran. I've watched all his YouTube videos and bought a strop from the Burrfection store. Now I just have to get motivated to practice whetstone sharpening on my old dull Zwilling chef's knife and Wustof paring knives that can barely cut through butter. The Japanese knives don't need sharpening yet but I wouldn't even risk trying to sharpen them at this point.
Thank you Piper. I think they're beautiful as well. I have 2 knives from Ricky Tran... well 2 of them with his name on it. Most of the Japanese knives on my wall came from the Burrfection store but only two bare his name.

Practice makes perfect on the sharpening. It's definitely an art form and so far I'm still drawing with coloring crowns. I can get a knife sharp but not as sharp as Ricky can. I'll keep trying and get on his level one day.

Xmas morning I took a chance and bought some more knives although these ones aren't Japanese. They're made in Canada. 67 layer damascus steel with VG10 core. Rosewood handles. 61 HRC. 5 knives total. A chef, cleaver, santoku, utility, and boning knife.

The knives were marked down to an incredibly low price and I couldn't pass it up. I waffled for a day and a half because it seemed like it was too good of a deal; but eventually I caved and took a swing at it. I'm actually very impressed with the workmanship and quality of these knives. I got all 5 for the price of 1 or 2 japanese knives. I will wait another month or two and see how the edge holds up. Hopefully these truely are VG10 core.

20220103_182508.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
@ADDRUNK, those are stunning-looking knives. If they're made in Canada, they must be high quality. (I'm an ex-Canuck.) You can't go wrong with VG10 either.
I'm quite happy with them. I think I need to buy half a hog and put that boning knife to use. It's been long over due for some home made bacon too.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts