Cigar Forums banner

Kauai Cigar Company Island Prince Luana Iki Dark - Review

14K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Dread 
#1 ·
Disclaimer (Spoiler Alert!) - this review is one man's opinion of a single example of this cigar. It is always possible that I picked up a bad one. If anyone has tried these cigars and disagrees with my observations, please reply to this thread and give your input.

There is a B&M across town from me that carries the Kauai Cigar Company line of cigars. Apparently there are not many stores on the Mainland carrying these sticks. I think I know why.

The Luana Iki Dark is a little cigar (4.5" x 46) with a hefty price point -over $10.00. Incidentally, the 46 RG seems a little generous - you can see a bit of space all the way around the circumference of the cigar when you set it in the 46-ring. When set in the 44-ring, the line of the ring shows all the way around.

According to the Kauai Cigar Company web site, the filler is grown in Hawaii, then shipped to Nicaragua for construction. The Dark version uses a Nicaraguan wrapper. No mention of binder.

I just had to try one. Clerk at the B&M advised me I was in for a treat. So, when I sat down last evening to give it a go, I was anticipating something really interesting, if not great.

Appearance - the best word I can use to describe this cigar is cute. Not the best start. It is small, slender, and has a little curly head, like the stem of a small pepper. Just looks cute. A gentle squeeze showed it to be rather soft all over. Another not-so-good sign.

Cut and draw - I cut the little curl away and lit the remaining twig (not really big enough to be a stick). The draw was roughly equivalent to pulling air through a 46 (or 44)-gauge hollow tube. No resistance whatever. This, along with the overall softness of the cigar convinces me that I did not receive much tobacco for my $10.00 investment.

Burn - Over its short 4.5-inch length, this cigar produced no fewer than 3 canoes - may even have been 4, but I remember 3 for sure. As soon as one corrected, another formed. It also burned pretty quickly - yet another tribute, I think, to its loosely-rolled pittance of tobacco.

Flavor - Leather. Pretty much nothing but leather on the draw, with a harsh, unappealing aftertaste. After the first third I caught an occasional fleeting note of florals, and further along I encountered a trace of chocolate. Otherwise it was nothing but leather, and the strongest leathery flavor I have ever experienced - not that my experience is all that broad. I didn't mind the flavor, but for a tiny stick, with very little tobacco, and carrying a premium price tag, I expected at least a little complexity. On a positive note, the smoke smelled very nice in the air, and there was actually a fair amount of it.

My early impressions were that this was probably the worst cigar I have ever smoked. In retrospect, I can't really swear that I liked the flavor any less than some others of my non-favorite cigars. The aftertaste, yes, but not the flavor. I can say without reservation that this was the most disappointing cigar I have ever smoked. Between the price paid, the somewhat exotic heritage, and the recommendation of the store clerk, I had high hopes, none of which bore fruit.

Note to Stogie - if anyone reaches expert status on Kauai Cigar Company cigars, the award logo has to include a medal for bravery above and beyond the call of duty. I can't feature anyone smoking five of these for any reason other than a bet, a dare, or a reward.

Again, this review is just one man's opinion! I wish I had a better report. I really enjoy writing positive reviews, and tend not to review cigars I really don't like. This one was just too disappointing to leave alone.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have seen this brand over on Maui on the Kaanapali beach by the Marriott Hotel,,,there was a cigar place..small B&M that sold those. I almost bought a couple but the pricing was like $14 each and though...nahhhhhh as I had a lot I brought anyway. Good to know that I didn't waste $30 on them. Another great reason for bringing your own cigars on trips.

#3 ·
Maybe it canoed a lot since Hawaiians made canoes? Nah, just joking. Being from Hawaii, and living here my whole life, I tried a local cigar. Forgot what brand and everything it was, but just had to try it. From what I recall, I had a flavored chocolate macadamia nut cigar. Loose pack, light weight in a tube. I don't think it was the same company, but I remember it smoking well and tasting like chocolate. If you're ever in hawaii, the ones I've tried came from an abc store. I think it was $8. Can't say if it smoked like an $8 cigar, but I'd smoke one on occasion to support the local economy.

#5 ·
Wow to this review. New to puff.com, but I've been a regular consumer of the Kauai cigars for 3 years now, and absolutely love this brand. I'd say it is the most unknown cigar in the world, and every time I light one up it's a conversation piece. I now buy them direct from the company and avoid the high 50% tobacco tax they have in Hawaii. They still run about $9-$11 a stick, but it's Hawaii. You get a free hat with all boxes of 18 too. The momona is my favorite size, but the blends seem consistent in all their sizes. I actually did their farm tour, last year when visiting, and was amazed at what they have going on out there, amidst the outrageous cost of labor and land. They've found a niche and applied a lot of 1st world ingenuity to their operation. Tour included free cups of their organic coffee, chocolate, and a free cigar at the conclusion of the visit. I had to pull over on the drive back to the hotel, since I was so legally intoxicated from the goodies!!! I'd give the cigar another try, and they have a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee on all their products if you aren't happy. Great cigars, try one again!!!

#6 ·
Thanks for the second opinion - I'm actually glad not everyone's experience matches my own. I probably won't try another one - the price point is too steep for experimentation, and there are cheaper cigars that already wow me. Really - for the same size stick, you're really close to Opus prices. If I got the bad one, I guess it's my loss.

#7 ·
Wow to this review. New to puff.com, but I've been a regular consumer of the Kauai cigars for 3 years now, and absolutely love this brand. I'd say it is the most unknown cigar in the world, and every time I light one up it's a conversation piece. I now buy them direct from the company and avoid the high 50% tobacco tax they have in Hawaii. They still run about $9-$11 a stick, but it's Hawaii. You get a free hat with all boxes of 18 too. The momona is my favorite size, but the blends seem consistent in all their sizes. I actually did their farm tour, last year when visiting, and was amazed at what they have going on out there, amidst the outrageous cost of labor and land. They've found a niche and applied a lot of 1st world ingenuity to their operation. Tour included free cups of their organic coffee, chocolate, and a free cigar at the conclusion of the visit. I had to pull over on the drive back to the hotel, since I was so legally intoxicated from the goodies!!! I'd give the cigar another try, and they have a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee on all their products if you aren't happy. Great cigars, try one again!!!
Seriously buddy i wouldn't be surprised if you were an employee or the owner of this cigar company based on the way your post read. If so please
introduce yourself in the retailers section of the sight! I noticed that you just became a member and ironically your first post is in defense of this cigar.... Too many coincidences for me! :deadhorse:

#8 ·
Seriously buddy i wouldn't be surprised if you were an employee or the owner of this cigar company based on the way your post read. If so please
introduce yourself in the retailers section of the sight! I noticed that you just became a member and ironically your first post is in defense of this cigar.... Too many coincidences for me! :deadhorse:
That could be true, but he could also just be a fan of the cigar. Not an imposibility. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

#9 ·
I haven't tried these yet, my friend got me the maduro one when he went to Hawaii. I looked up some info on the internet and it all sounded good...so i was expecting a well constructed cigar. When i received the cigar i was very disappointed by the construction as it didn't exactly match up to what i was expecting after reading about it. It's still sitting in my humi since it dried out a bit from the transport. My friend smoked the natural one though and he said it was pretty bad

#10 ·
"Maduro" and "natural" - even when I was buying the cigar, their use of the "dark" and "light" to describe the wrappers bothered me. Made me wonder if they were hiding something, or didn't know enough about cigar construction to use the right terminology. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and hoped they had a good reason to use different language.

#11 ·
I'm new to the site, but I'm from PA, and I teach engineering for a living. I also like cigars, and thought I would register, and put in my two cents, since I personally visited the farm. Call the company and verify my visit with them. They'll remember if you tell them the guy who almost got sick on the way back to the hotel referred you. I'll hold off on any more opinions for now, but a lesson in light, dark, maduro, natural, colorado, etc, wrapper might be in order.

#12 ·
Thanks for the second opinion - I'm actually glad not everyone's experience matches my own. I probably won't try another one - the price point is too steep for experimentation, and there are cheaper cigars that already wow me. Really - for the same size stick, you're really close to Opus prices. If I got the bad one, I guess it's my loss.
I was on a business trip in Hawaii, and was desperate for a cigar (hadn't
brought any with me - I don't EVER make that mistake anymore).

Anyway, I found a package of 2 sticks in a little odd shaped wooden box, they
are the Momona size and the box says "Dark" on it. It has been over a year,
but based on my memory, they were reasonable cigars if they had been much cheaper
but for the $36 price for the two, I wouldn't buy them again. I chalked it up
to a Hawaii experience and Tourist Pricing and called it good. This one is
definitely not in Opus territory where it is priced, it doesn't really compare
even with the RP Vintage 1990 or 1992 cigars.

That said, you definitely had a bad experience as my 2 were not nearly as bad
as yours was. Mine were just mediocre $5-$6 cigars.

#13 ·
I'm on the big island right now and also didn't brainy cigars so I thought I might purchase sone of these island prince cigars. I bought the momona samll box of 3 light and three dark for 100us. A bit steep considering that I could get some padron anniv or a box of Lfd for a few bucks more. The cigar I am trying is about a 50 rg in 6 inch or so. Sorry no ruler. The dark darts out a bit spicy in the nose and the ammonia taste is absent thankfully. About halfway through I get cocoa, macadamia, floral, nutmeg and a hint of cedar. Just a little bit of spice through the nose. For 8-10 buck it's a really enjoyable cigar. For almost 20 bucks it's a bit of a tourist premium. I will thoroughly enjoy this one and chalk the price up to cost of tobacco on the island. Try the dark for under 10 bucks if you get a chance it a treat.

#14 ·
Yes I am new to the forum but no I do not work for, own or have a relative at the Kauai Cigar company. I came across the cigars two years ago when I was golfing in Hawaii. I had brought some cuban cigars with me but forgot them at the hotel so I picked up a couple of the Island Prince, dark cigars. I am not an expert by any means but I really enjoyed these cigars and they are among my favorite, only problem is they are not available in Canada and to have them shipped in means the price almost triples. (Welcome to the Great White North)

#15 ·
My wife brought me one back (nice wife!) and while I was extremely hopeful for a good smoke it was very disapointing and definitely not worth the $12 she paid for it. To start it was just too loose for a cigar costing that much. I like cigars that you can bite down on and it won't mush down much at all but this one came close to collapsing.

It was harsh in the start and very strong in the nicotine. I smoke regularly but I have never gotten such a buz on a cigar since I first started smoking 30 years ago. As the cigar progressed the flavor just didn't get any better and even started getting harsher. I was also getting so buzzed I was getting sick. I finally just had to put the cigar out and say enough was enough.

The Kauai cigar company certainly excelled at one thing and that was nicotine but compared to a colorado oscuro or other really good flavor cigar it just is not even in the same ballpark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.