Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm just starting to get into smoking. I've smoked a cigar here and there in the past several years(probably no more than 5 total) but now I'm ready to start making it more regular. Can someone recomend some starting out cigars and maybe list them in a sequence to try out so that I can get a feel for their differences with out bouncing from one strength extreme to another? I'm thinking something like wine tasting where they start you out with mild whites then move into strong cabs.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you are looking to start off mild, there are alot of cigar store sites like famous-smoke.com that offer cigars grouped by strength. I would suggest looking over the lists and ordering a sampler pack and go from there.

Also, there are cheaper sites like AtlanticCigar.com that offer better prices.

BTW Welcome to CS!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Welcome Joe,

My recomendations would be as follows.

Helix -- mild
Montechristo White -- mild
Don Diego Reserve -- mild
Arturo Fuente -- Hemingway -- mild/medium
Romeo and Juliet Reserve Real -- mild/medium
Romeo and Juliet Anniversario -- mild/medium
Punch maduro maduro -- medium
Flor de Oliva -- medium
Padron 3000 -- medium
Perdomo Estate Selection -- Medium/full
Padron 1964 Anniversario -- Medium/full
TTT Trinidad -- Medium/Full
Oliva Master Blends -- Medium/Full
Oliva O Maduro -- Full
LA Flor Dominican Double Ligero -- Full
La Gloria Cubana Serie R -- Full
Joya De Nicarauga Antano -- Full

·
Registered
449 Posts
Welcome to CS! You have come to the right place! I would suggest buying some singles and some fivers form your local shop to see what your tastes are. I started out mild and started to move up rather quickly. Helix maduro is a good mild one in my opinion, Onyx reserva is a mlid to med bodied. Your tastes are going to differ from othrs so I encourage you to find what you like as you go, hey remember this process is a lot of fun. With that being said there is a lot of helpful information here as well as a lot of knowledgable folks here too that will be glad to help you.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Welcome to the Jungle. I hope your stay here is comfortable and full of quality smoke.

As for suggestions as stated already I would advise just go out and buy sampler packs. Try as many different kinds of cigars as you can. Then you will start noticing a trend in the type you like. It isn't always the mild ones. Have fun and start smoking.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Welcome to Club Stogie!

I would suggest either going to your local shop and pick up some singles or order some samplers online. Get to konw what flavors you like, then start picking up 5-packs and boxes. Yes, I said boxes :D

Personally I like Torano (1916, Exodus - heard the sigs and the tributes are very good also) A. Fuente Hemingway - Short story, Padron 2k Maduro, Ashton VSG's and Opus X. I've had some good Oliva and Perdomo's also.

I would start with the Torano sampler at MD cigars (there are a couple of them, but this one on page 3 looks good.

Mike has some great samplers to choose from and you will save some $$ vs. your local store.

I know there are TONS of smokes out there, it will take some time so be patient and enjoy the journey.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Welcome aboard Joe. Lot's of good advice here. Once you have tried a few cigars, note which ones you like and dislike, post those here and you'll get plenty more suggestions. As with wine though, you can expect your tastes to change as you learn to appreciate stronger smokes.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
kamikaiguy said:
Welcome Joe,

My recomendations would be as follows.

Helix -- mild
Montechristo White -- mild
Don Diego Reserve -- mild
Arturo Fuente -- Hemingway -- mild/medium
Romeo and Juliet Reserve Real -- mild/medium
Romeo and Juliet Anniversario -- mild/medium
Punch maduro maduro -- medium
Flor de Oliva -- medium
Padron 3000 -- medium
Perdomo Estate Selection -- Medium/full
Padron 1964 Anniversario -- Medium/full
TTT Trinidad -- Medium/Full
Oliva Master Blends -- Medium/Full
Oliva O Maduro -- Full
LA Flor Dominican Double Ligero -- Full
La Gloria Cubana Serie R -- Full
Joya De Nicarauga Antano -- Full
Welcome Joe! :)

I think kamikaiguy's list is quite good and would be an excellent start. There are some really good cigars listed and you will really enjoy them.

Take care and have fun!

:D

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Welcome to CS. Your menbership fees are due inmediately. Your membership fees are 2 cigars mailed to my addie. :D

Can't go wrong with Arturo Fuentes (AF), Montis and when you are ready for more flavor without the kick try a Torano 1959 gold

·
Sneaky Bombin Bastage
2,569 Posts
Welcome to CS! The guys here have given you an excellant list of smokes to try. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.