Cigar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just really got into puffing as more than just the occasional single cigar two to three times a year. Probably my fifth smoke since taking up the hobby was a Comacho triple maduro. Smoked it down to the nub and man, it put me on my rear end, but in a good way. Had to sit down and chill out for a while after taking that bad boy on. Though no sickness at all, nothing to drink but water.

It was an excellent smoke, with a nice nuttiness and a subtle cocoa taste. Very even burn. Draw was a tiny bit tight, though that was probably a good thing, with the power it packed. You know it's an excellent smoke when you take a sip of water after a puff and you find yourself savoring the water because it is making you taste the cigar again.

So if I'm starting off liking and being able to handle a triple maduro, where do I go from there (since the general trend seems to be you gradually move to more full bodied smokes)?

·
The Karate Squid
10,158 Posts
I'll give you the same advice I gave Tex.

As a relative newbie myself, I'd recommend:

1. Rocky Patel Edge Maduro - fantastic, very accessable, tons of thick creamy smoke. Leaves a bit of sweetness on the lips. My go-to smoke, and can be had for around $4.
2. Oliva V Maduro - you'll be able to tell the difference between a cheapie and this one. It's just straight up delicious quality. This is one that will open your eyes to the world of better cigars.
3. Perdomo 10th Maduro - easy, accessible but still fuller and darker.
4. Oliva G Maduro - finally got around to this one, not as complex as the V, but a great stick
5. Padron 1964 Maduro - a premium stick, but can be had in the $10 range. The vets can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is actually easier for a newb to enjoy than some of the better sticks out there.

A couple other sticks I've tried and enjoyed are the Alec Bradley Tempus Maduro, the Alec Bradley family blend, the regular Oliva V, the La Flor Dominica Double Ligero, the Savinelli ELP, Ashton Aged Maduros, and RP Olde World Reserve maduro. The La Flor Dominica Air Bender is another top favorite, but it'll kick your butt!

Try each with a glass of ice-cold coke. The coke will help with the nic kick.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll give you the same advice I
As a relative newbie myself, I'd recommend:

1. Rocky Patel Edge Maduro - fantastic, very accessable, tons of thick creamy smoke. Leaves a bit of sweetness on the lips. My go-to smoke, and can be had for around $4.
2. Oliva V Maduro - you'll be able to tell the difference between a cheapie and this one. It's just straight up delicious quality. This is one that will open your eyes to the world of better cigars.
3. Perdomo 10th Maduro - easy, accessible but still fuller and darker.
4. Oliva G Maduro - finally got around to this one, not as complex as the V, but a great stick
5. Padron 1964 Maduro - a premium stick, but can be had in the $10 range. The vets can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is actually easier for a newb to enjoy than some of the better sticks out there.

Try each with a glass of ice-cold coke. The coke will help with the nic kick.
I just had an RP Edge maduro (basically went into my local tobacconist and asked for the five great maduro sticks) and I wasn't all that impressed. To me, it was full, but lacked some flavor. May have just gotten a bad stick. The triple maduro comacho totally blew it away in terms of both body, flavor and overall quality (though the Comacho cost like $4 more per stick, you'd expect that, I guess, ezpecially with maduro wrapper, binder and filler).

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
I can definitely recommend both the Oliva V and G's. The G maduros can be had for under $3 each very easily on CBid. In fact there is a 10 count of the G maduro torpedo on free fall right now bottoming out in the low 20's.

Haven't smoked the edge maduro I just received from a certain someone yet :thumb:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Just because you've been smoking cigars for a while doesn't mean you move up the nicotine tree. You can see Ron recently enjoyed a Lot 23 and I find myself going back to all sorts of different sticks. If all you're looking for is a nic kick get a Punisher, if you want flavor, don't discount the medium body sticks there are some really really good ones!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Camacho Trip Maduro and the 10th Anni' are my two top favs from the entire line. Heck, I haven't had a Camacho I didn't like.
yeah, though I don't think it (triple maduro) an everyday smoker, though that is probably a good thing, as I'd probably go broke smoking those things every day. Or crazy. Or both.

I'll have to try out the 10th anny. How would you compare it to the trip maduro?

·
The Karate Squid
10,158 Posts
I just had an RP Edge maduro (basically went into my local tobacconist and asked for the five great maduro sticks) and I wasn't all that impressed. To me, it was full, but lacked some flavor. May have just gotten a bad stick. The triple maduro comacho totally blew it away in terms of both body, flavor and overall quality (though the Comacho cost like $4 more per stick, you'd expect that, I guess, ezpecially with maduro wrapper, binder and filler).
I don't think a "bad" Edge would lack flavor, it would just be too harsh or wet. You probably have a more developed palate than I do, or just prefer stronger flavor. Try the Oliva V or the La Flor Dominica Air Bender. Those will likely be more up your alley!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just because you've been smoking cigars for a while doesn't mean you move up the nicotine tree. You can see Ron recently enjoyed a Lot 23 and I find myself going back to all sorts of different sticks. If all you're looking for is a nic kick get a Punisher, if you want flavor, don't discount the medium body sticks there are some really really good ones!
yeah, I mean I didn't mean to imply that. I enjoy a broad spectrum as well. I also just bought a lot 23 that I'm really looking forward to and I just smoked a monte cristo platinum vintage 99 that I loved. I was just saying that if my top end full body cigar I like is starting out at a triple maduro, what then?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think a "bad" Edge would lack flavor, it would just be too harsh or wet. You probably have a more developed palate than I do, or just prefer stronger flavor. Try the Oliva V or the La Flor Dominica Air Bender. Those will likely be more up your alley!
yeah, the edge I had was definitely harsh, which perhaps covered up the flavor. I doubt I have a more developed palate than anybody here. Up until like a month ago I thought Macanudos were the best thing you could buy in the US.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
yeah, I mean I didn't mean to imply that. I enjoy a broad spectrum as well. I also just bought a lot 23 that I'm really looking forward to and I just smoked a monte cristo platinum vintage 99 that I loved. I was just saying that if my top end full body cigar I like is starting out at a triple maduro, what then?
I can see what you're saying, I just never really had an issue with nicotine, but I base all my decisions on taste. I neither seek out nicotine nor shun it, I'm just in search of a great tasting stick. To that end, I would definitely recommend the Kristoff Maduro or JJ Maduro if you just want maduro wrappers.

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
I"m still digesting the fact that you could start out with a Camacho Triple Maduro! Those things are powerful. The La Flor Dominica is another powerhouse if your'e into that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I"m still digesting the fact that you could start out with a Camacho Triple Maduro! Those things are powerful. The La Flor Dominica is another powerhouse if your'e into that.
Ha, well in the previous couple of days I had started out with a Gran Habano Corojo #5, which was pretty powerful. Then next day I hit a Rocky Patel Edge Maduro. So I did work my way up to that, though in a short period of time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.