Cigar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting in the Cold and Snow Last night out on my deck and decided to Light up on of these nice dark and oily cigars with my cousin.

This particular cigar was gift to me by my uncle. It was a Sun Ripened Oscuro from Jr Cigars. It was a corona sized cigar. V

ery nice looking. In looking at it you would think that the really dark almost black oily wrapper was going to be a powerhouse. It's appearance almost remided me of a Oliva O Maduro but not quite as dark.

I clipped this guy with a my trusty Colibri V cutter and the prelight draw was easy but not too loose. I slowly lit the foot of this cigar and it lit perfectly, which if you read my past reviews I am notorious for burning cigars and geting a bad flavor for about an inch or two.

My first impression I was surprised. This cigar was as smooth as they come. It had a vegatable like flavor. That was consistent the whole way down. I was impressed at the consistency.

This cigar was a mild to meduim strengh cigar with a fuller body. It would have been a nice morning cigar to start the weekend with. It went really good with the Nestea Brisk Iced Tea I was drinking. This was a good cigar.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Re: JR Cigars Sun Ripened Oscuro

kamikaiguy said:
I was sitting in the Cold and Snow Last night out on my deck and decided to Light up .......

.........It went really good with the Nestea Brisk Iced Tea I was drinking. This was a good cigar.
Brrrrr......

Thanks for the review. I do not normally go for the mild to medium body cigars, but this one sounds interesting. As a bonus, it's in my price range! I just may have to throw in a box next JR order.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts

Roger Miller" said:
Brrrrr......

rm
I agree!!

But your tasting notes sound interesting. There's always room for milder cigars in our life; and just because they're made by JR doesn't necessarily mean that the quality is bad (although sometimes it is). :D
Thanks for the reivews.

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts

I have smoked a couple of the SRO Rothschilds and they suprised me a bit as well. It was both richer in flavor and less spicy than I was expecting. If you like your oscuro wrapper flavor without the pepper blast these are definitely worth a try.

My new favorite Oscuro is the Honduran ERDM I reviewed a few days ago. The SROs are really good for the $36 they run; and even better when JR makes them an add in or puts them on sale.

-Matt-

·
Test Subject
2,651 Posts

kamikaiguy said:
. I slowly lit the foot of this cigar and it lit perfectly, which if you read my past reviews I am notorious for burning cigars and geting a bad flavor for about an inch or two.
QUOTE]

Dwayne thanks for this little quote...I have been lighting my cigars by using about 4 or 5 book matches struck at once and then using the large flame to stoke the cigar up..Almost all of the time I get a harsh taste for the first inch and then the cigar mellows out..Should I just be using one match and slowly get the end fired up. Christ I have been smoking cigars for some time now and you would think I would know the proper way to light one..I have almost exclusivly been using matches and not lighters to fire up my cigars.

Jerry in Owatonna.

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts

c2000 said:
Dwayne thanks for this little quote...I have been lighting my cigars by using about 4 or 5 book matches struck at once and then using the large flame to stoke the cigar up..Almost all of the time I get a harsh taste for the first inch and then the cigar mellows out..Should I just be using one match and slowly get the end fired up. Christ I have been smoking cigars for some time now and you would think I would know the proper way to light one..I have almost exclusivly been using matches and not lighters to fire up my cigars.

Jerry in Owatonna.
Jerry, The number of matches won't make a difference really. When using matches though it is very important to give them time for all the striking agent to burn off; that stuff will add very bad taste!

It is also a best practice not to actually touch the flame to the cigar but use the heat from the flame to light. This is why you toast the foot first and then light while inhaling; you don't have to spend soo long puffing.

When stuck with matches I would use a couple for the toasting and 3 for the lighting.

As soon as I find a shop that actually has one for me to play with I will probably be buying a Vector KGM Emporer lighter. This gives a very wide flame, not a jet, through the use of 3 gas openings. The nice broad flame should be good for lighting the cigar without nuking it like kamikaiguy described, which I frequently do as well.

Out of curiousity Jerry, why don't you use lighters?

-Matt-

·
Test Subject
2,651 Posts

txmatt, thanks for the information. I smoked one late the morning and followed directions and there was a big difference.Like I said in my post I have been into cigars for approx 8 yrs and really never gave lighting them a thought until I read Dwayne's post.
As to why I do not use a lighter, I guess I never thought about it much, but I will be looking into one..

Thanks again,,,Jerry in Minnesota.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Jerry Matt is right. I used to plunge the end of the cigar into the Flame. Now I slowly toast the end first and then Hold the flame below the cigar and draw the flameinto the cigar. It really has a much better taste at first.

As for Matches. This Local Cigar shop has these matches that light a cigar with one match. They are not longer or anything they just light better I am not sure what it is.

·
Banned
6,267 Posts

txmatt said:
As soon as I find a shop that actually has one for me to play with I will probably be buying a Vector KGM Emporer lighter.
-Matt-
I've actually been to someone's house who had one. It lit my smoke to perfection every time. Really easy to toast with it and even easier to light.

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts

LasciviousXXX said:
I've actually been to someone's house who had one. It lit my smoke to perfection every time. Really easy to toast with it and even easier to light.
That is how it seemed like it would perform. Said lighter won't be able to perform in the wind like torches do, but I would like a flame lighter for when it isn't windy. The emporers are soo purdy too! :w

Looks like Vector is getting pissy about hosting their pictures off site. Their web master disabled right clicks. Unfortunately they left their source code and images directory wide open. :tg Below is the nice big image from their site showing the lighter and its features.. :D

-Matt-

what a thread jack we are on here!​

·
Banned
6,267 Posts

Same for me, I toast till the foot turns a black color and tiny wisps of smoke emerge. Then I light that sucker up and puff like there's no tomorrow :D

·
Registered
235 Posts

txmatt said:
Not a dumb question at all! I am not sure that I do it the "right" way though either. :D I toast it until I see the tobacco turn darker in color. I rotate the cigar slowly while toasting it so that the entire foot turns a few shades darker.

-Matt-
I'm glad I read how to do this before I met anybody that smoked cigars for a long time.

Me: (sticks cigar in flame)
Long-Time Stogie Smoker: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Me: Abuh?
LTSS: HEATHEN!! INFIDEL!
Me: please don't hurt me. (cowers)

·
Registered
45 Posts

Just had a friend that doesn't smoke cigars give me a box of these. Box still had 14 in it. I've had one before. It was New Years '05. I do remember it being very mild for the appearence. Well, they haven't been humidor kept so I'm going to let them chill for a while before lighting one up. I'll throw in my $.02 once their ready. One thing I do remember is that they are surprisingly mild. I also remember this mild smoking stogie leaving me w/ quite a buzz that snuck up on me somehow. :w None the less, I'd suggest getting a few. Their good for the money.

Cheers :al

·
Banned
8,745 Posts

Nice reviews guys.

JR was throwin these in a while back for $ 5 when you bought a box of anything. Probably the greatest deal of all time. Try and find a better $.20 cigar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.