Cigar Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two major questions to follow.

Some pretty big news (albeit a bit old) for those who shop frequently from JR... CA reports that Altadis USA bought a controlling interest in JR Cigar.

Curriously there's been no mention of it yet at the JR website.

Article at: http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Daily/CA_Daily_News/0,2342,885,00.html

1) JR's always been a good source for Villazon (General Cigar, right?)and Altadis products at fair prices. How do you forsee the new arrangement at JR changing pricing and selection, if at all?

2) The latest JR catalogue said that the Henry Clay brand will move its production from the DR to Honduras at some point in the future and that the cost per box will fall by about $5. I'm a real fan of the HC broadleaf wrapped cigars. The Brevas a la Conserva are among my favorite sticks. The trick is that besides the CT broadleaf wrapper, the HC is made almost completely of Dominican Tobacco. The blend of Por Larranaga has changed in its move from the DR (Conn shade wrapper, DR binder, DR/Brazil filler) to Honduras (Ecu CT shade, Hon, Hon). Can I expect HC's blend to remain unchanged after its move to Honduras?

It is possible for HCs to be made in Honduras using the same materials, but will Altadis continue to do so?

Any info or leads would be great.

Thanks again,
Eichen

·
Registered
207 Posts
Henry Clay...

I'm with you on the Brevas a la Conserva, great smoke for the price. However, I don't see how the flavor can't change w/ a H2000 wrapper. I'd be happy if the they continues the Broadleaf wrapped Dominicans as separate line.

I've picked up a few of the Mirabelle w/ the H2000 wrapper, but haven't smoked one yet. Letting them rest in the 'dor for a while. From what I've seen the Honduran line doesn't have the tradmark rugged box-pressed look of the of the Domincans (shame too, cause I like that). I hope HC doen't mess up a good thing to bring the price down a few bucks on the box!

bd

1 - 2 of 2 Posts