Cigar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know this tidbit, until reading Smoke Magazine...

"What many people don’t know - and what would probably drive them nuts - is that Kennedy actually attempted to have cigars exempted from the embargo! Richard Goodwin, a White House assistant to Presidents Kennedy and Johnson, revealed in a 2000 New York Times article that in early 1962 JFK told him, 'We tried to exempt cigars, but the cigar manufacturers in Tampa objected. I guess we’re out of luck.' Indeed - as an entire generation of cigar enthusiasts eager to sample the island’s output remains out of luck today."

· X Canadian
1,329 Posts
I wish that there were 2 things excluded from the embargo. Cigars and cars. Being a car nut, I wish that I could take a container ship to Havana and load up all of those old cars that are driving around Cuba. I've seen documentaries about Cuban life and I can hardly pay attention to the story while looking at all of the old Chevrolets etc driving around the island. I'm in So Cal and it's pretty hard to find "barn cars" the type that grandma discovers in the old barn and decides to let it go for a couple hundred $.

p.s. if your grandma has any 55-57 chevys in the barn....pm me, i've got a couple hundred $.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts