Cigar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya folks, noob on the scene...

Great forum - my thanks to the owner(s) & moderator(s)!

Former heavy cig smoker that just can't eliminate tobacco from my life 100%. Used to smoke Marlboro red's at a rate of 40/day (2-packs). Quit cold turkey three months ago and haven't looked back (at cigs that is). Have just the most minor education in cigars, but am reading tons and trying out a few choice picks from the top ranks of sub-$6 puros - definitely enjoying it!

Have a few Q's - as the noob I am, I obviously have been acquainted with the offerings of Thompson's on-line store. Been looking into buying a tabletop humidor and some cigar assortments. Really like some of the nicer humidors that Thompson has to offer, such as the Champion 150 the Westminster 150+ combo or another Westminster 150+ combo or the Colossal 150+ or Another Colossal 150+ combo

What's your folks take on that? Good deal, with decent cigars in the combo offers? Or should I go with a humidor from another source, or perhaps from EBAY? Any favorite 150+ humidors in the ~ $100 range anybody cares to comment on?

How about combo cigar packs for the noobie? I see 'em everywhere out here on the Internet, on all different sites, and just don't know which site or combo might be a good beginners choice. One combo I thought might be worth trying if I purchase something from Thompson is the Thompson All-Star Sampler IV - any comments on that particular sampler? God, they carry SO MANY samplers - HELP!

You folks get the idea, now be good to the noob and don't slam me too hard now... ;)

Hope to make some fun acquaintances around this neck of the woods - TIA for your thoughts and knowledge!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Jafn Welcome to the jungle. I got my 300 count Humi from Thompsons. It is a nice Humidor. I am really happy with it. However the Hugrometer and the humidifiers were junk. I switched to a Digital Hygro and different humidifiers.

Major Warning: Thompson's cigars that come bundled with Humidors are usually terrible(Thompson's Cigars in general are usually terrible). That said if you have tried the cigars that come with the Humi and you like them go for it. If not stay away. There are better chances that the cigars are bad and not good.

If I had to do it again I would try Bargain Humidors ( http://www.bargainhumidors.com )for a new humidor. They seem to have the best deals around. Plus the quality is there.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Tom

As for different cigars to try. I have tried the Thompsons all star combo. Some were good but most were bad. You best bet is to go into your local shop and talk to the guy behind the counter. Tell him what characteristics you kind of like and ask him to recommend you some single to try.

Another option is to go into the non-Habano Review section and read some of the reviews. Then try to find the cigars that were reviewed that you think you will like.

And Finally Go to top25cigar.com and read the revies on that site for some ideas there are a lot of good info there. And best of all there is a link in the upper right of the page.

Good luck in your search
If you have any questions just post them. There are a lot of really great gorillas and gorillets her at Club Stogie. We will try to help the best we can.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Welcome to CS......

I would say that any 150 ct humi bought of thompsons would be fine. I have never had any Thompson cigars. And honestly there are alot better places to buy your sticks from. Atlantic Cigar is a great place. Cigarbid is another. JR cigars has a great selection of sticks. I would stay away from Thompsons cigars. You would be better off buying five packs off of Cigarbid and JR's then Thompsons. IMHO.

A few brands that I like NC wise are

CAO Brazilia(but be careful these are not for novices)
HdM Excalibur are pretty good(not sure which one I smoked)
Trilogy Authentic Corojo(thats for you IHT :) )
Punch Rare Corojo

Go to Top25cigar and read some reviews on these and others. I just looked up the Trilogy AC and it isn't there. But I know they make it. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I see I was beaten to the punch on top25cigars website. But visit the links for places to buy some fivers to try.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Welcome to Club Stogie.

Good advice on humidors given.

Some cigars I like are:

La Aroma de Cuba corona minor
Padron Maduro
Carlos Torano
RyJ Reserva Real

Then there are the ISOMS....don't want to push you down the slope too quick so I'll save some of those for later!

Hang out here, you will learn a lot.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Since cigar smoking is a Journey of evolution, Thompson cigars might be ok at 1st, but you can get a lot better cigars for your money. Good advice has been given in previous posts. I would research a bit 1st & try www.cigarbid.com. Prepare to get a bigger humidor, or 2, or 3......

BTW, welcome. :)

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
I did exactly the same thing except I smoked Camels. I'll tell you what, after a few months you'll wonder why you wasted so many years with cigarettes.

You will find that the humidors never hold the number of smokes their listed capacity states unless you only stock petit coronas. I bought my first one from Thompsons but the cigars they sent were horrible. I bought my second and third on ebay, which were the same model Thompsons sold sans the dog rockets.

The advice you already have is excellent. I second the local shop recommendation as you can buy singles and find out what you like. You won't go wrong with pretty much any Fuente, Torano or Padron.

:w

·
Test Subject
2,651 Posts
I'll join in with the rest of the replies..I don't know about their humidors but if you want to pay too much for cigars then shop Thompsons.

Jerry in Minnesota.

·
Yeah, yeah... It's me...
958 Posts
Welcome to the jungle...

Good information on this thread. As you may have figured out by now, Thompson cigars are mostly crap and overpriced on their name-brand stuff. Hey... it costs money to put out their catalog every month...

I have had good luck with their humidors as they are reasonably price... not the best quality in the world but not bad for the price. Give the cigars away that come with the humidor to unsuspecting novices...

I have bought from all of the sites mentioned in the thread and have had good luck with every one of them. I have also had good luck with Cigar King and Phat Ash.

Cigar Bid is an excellent way to try and find cigars you like without investing in a full box with their 5 pack auctions... JRs also offer a limited selection in 5 packs as well.

Good herfin'

·
Registered
451 Posts
Welcome to CS Nort...I'm sorta new here also,but I "cut my teeth" on Thompsons a couple years back,and believe these guys when they tell you that there are alot better deals out there...Most of Thompsons house brand cigars are marginal at best...good luck on your journey into the world of cigars.you made a wise choice in comming here for advise and conversation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just wanted to update this thread and say "Thanks!" for the warm welcome everybody! I've lurked a lot since the original post, learning all sorts of good stuff from you folks through the forum.

Can't say "thanks" enough concerning the general feel for Thompson's cigar offerings, and all the great links to other reputable suppliers. For that fact alone you folks saved me $100 or more, from making a mistake of trying to learn cigar qualities from possibly inferior products. I like learning with known & proven products first, then branching out on my own after getting a little decent education. I swear, that's one of the best things about all the different on-line forums pertaining to practically any subject - knowledge from numbers! So again, thanks so much for helping point the newbie in a decent direction!

Been experimenting with lots of different sticks, mostly staying within the most popular brands, in varying sizes, styles and tobacco types. Lovin' it! Keeping a log book at this newbie stage - taking notes, pasting rings, etc. Fun stuff. I'd say 90% of my choices have been very pleasurable so far, with the other 10% being racked up to education.

I tell ya, the cigar size I'm liking the best at this stage is the smaller cigarillo size. I find that when I have the time to smoke, it will typically be about 45 minutes of time, and these smaller cigars seem to fit the bill perfectly. Can smoke right down to 1" in that period of time. I'm learning I just don't like the taste of a re-lit cigar nearly as much as one I'll smoke all the way in one sitting. Now when I say cigarillos, I'm speaking of the small tins that typically house 10 small cigars, and the better brands such as Arturo Fuente, Romeo y Julieta, Macanudo and the like. Also like that I can spend $15 to $20 for a tin of ten small cigars to get the general taste and feel of each product without having to spend $60+ for a box of a fuller size of cigars. I must say, I'm amazed at how well these small cigars truly smoke - easy draw, very fresh & properly hydrated/humidified, nice clean burn - very refreshing to me!

Here's one to spank the newbie about - I gotta' admit I like the Drew Estate Kahlua tins of ten small cigars. Yeah, yeah, I've read about the ACID line (and probably all of Drew Estate's offerings) and how flavored cigars are really the down fall of a great cigar (and I do believe this too), but damn, I gotta' say when ya get a good tin of these that are good & fresh, they ain't all so bad! Besides, I've learned that these are cheap & easy to get, and make a perfect small cigar to hand out to folks who never really smoke cigars (or any tobacco for that matter). The flavor keeps 'em happy, and the overall tobacco quality seems pretty good for the price of about a buck a cigar. Very few 'hard draw' sticks as well. Gotta' say though, I'm learning to enjoy the better cigars more as time passes...

As for humidors (dang it), I'm still lookin'! Lookin'' at ALL KINDS, found everywhere on the Internet. EBay, Yahoo Shopping, just searching on Yahoo or Google, etc. I must say, I like what Bargainhumidors.com has to offer, and am swaying toward something around the 250 size, maybe like Bargainhumidors.com's Gettysburg . Anybody care to comment on the quality of these boxes in general? For the time being, I'm just using the disposable, 6-month humidor bags which are working just great until that time.

Okay, that's it for now - I'll keep lurking, smoking and posting... :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.