Discussion Starter · #1 ·
J Fuego Origen Originals
Wrapper: Honduran Corojo
Binder: Costa Rican Corojo
Filler: Nicaraguan and Honduran Corojo
Sizes: Corona (5×44)
Retail: ~$2.50/ea - $12/pack

Wood Font Handwriting Commemorative plaque Electric blue

Every once in awhile, you pick out a winner. While I was visiting a local B&M, I didn't find the cigar I was looking for. Because I was there, though, I couldn't leave empty handed. Perusing the shelves, I happened upon the Jesus Fuego Origen Originals. Sold in a paper wrapped 5 pack, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect or what I was getting myself into. I ended up as happy as ever.

Plant Finger Terrestrial plant Thumb Grass

The J Fuego Origen Originals is a rustic looking cigar. It is hand rolled and then skips the normal molding practice. This gives you a cigar that is a bit misshapen. No two ever look alike. It's said this is how things are done in the factories when they're sampling cigar tobacco blends. And I believe it. There is no cap, just an open head, so they're great if you managed to forget a cutter. While a bit rustic in appearance, it is not excessively veiny, and I have yet to notice any soft or hard spots. The wrapper leaf is a bit mottled in color. The Origen Original is pure Corojo for full strength from Nicaragua, Honduras and Costa Rica.

Plant Wood Finger Trunk Grass

Because the Origen Original is a small 44 gauge corona, I fired up the foot with a soft flame lighter. I think a touch, especially triple flames, are going to burn this cigar. It doesn't take much to get these going. I was greeted with a variety of flavors right off the bat. Wood, earth, leather, pepper, nutmeg, they all came rolling on in. A few puffs in and things mellowed out to present a nice floral sweetness at the beginning that quickly makes away to earth and leather with each draw. I found it interesting how the flavors played out with each puff. A touch of floral sweetness at first with the leather and earth flavors swooping in and coating the mouth. As those faded, there was a touch of black pepper to finish. It was nothing short of great. The ash was a nice white, though a bit flaky. It fell, on its own, at just shy of an inch long.

Plant Leaf Wood Grass Twig

Moving into the second third, I began to notice a coffee bitterness. This had always been there, but very low lying. The floral bouquet was slowly fading and the primary flavors continued to be of earth and leather. There was a good woody flavor from time to time that was much more defined on the retrohale as oak. As I worked my way through the second third, I could feel the pepper build up and become more and more spicy as I went. The pepper wasn't so much of a flavor at this point as it was a feeling. The finish of earth and leather held on for some time before fading to the pepper spice. The smoke was thick enough to be satisfying making this a medium bodied cigar.

Hand Photograph Finger Gesture Font

The last third of the Origen Original really saw the coffee bitterness increase some more. I was able to see now how well that flavor build up through the stick really carried the whole experience. It connected every puff of the cigar with the next. The last part of the cigar also brought back the oak flavors and bits of nutmeg, here and there, as was experienced when lighting the cigar. At this point I was also noticing a bit of tar buildup at the head. I don't doubt that this is what brought along the coffee bitterness throughout the cigar.

Hand Finger Wood Nail Mushroom

Jesus Fuego has hit it out of the park with the Origen Original. This is a very unique looking cigar, with great flavor and and especially wonderful finish. I will have no problem making sure these cigars have a permanent home in my humidor. The corona size burns in under an hour which is perfect for me while my daughter is taking a nap. Also, with the inexpensive price point, it's not hard on the wallet should you have to walk away from it.

· Registered
143 Posts
Great review. I have a load of these in my humidor for those times I want a quick smoke, which is most of the time at the moment. What got me was how strong they are. I don't know whether they have a particularly high nicotine content for their size but it seemed so to me.

Might do a review myself at some point, compare notes!

· De nihilo nihil
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great review. I have a load of these in my humidor for those times I want a quick smoke, which is most of the time at the moment. What got me was how strong they are. I don't know whether they have a particularly high nicotine content for their size but it seemed so to me.

Might do a review myself at some point, compare notes!
There is a fair amount of nicotine, but I think I've been accustomed to other small format cigars with much more kick than these. Would love to hear your thoughts. From what I hear, Pete Johnson likes these, I'll have to ask him tomorrow what he thinks.

· A Squid founder, retired
3,417 Posts
I, too, am very fond of these. I think I slightly prefer the J. Fuego Gran Reserva Corojo No. 1 Originals, followed by the Origen Originals, then the Sangre de Toro Originals. They're all very good though, and provide tons of flavor. Didn't care as much for the Origen Maduro Original, however - perhaps I need to revisit.

Very nice review, Isaac! Where did you pick these up? Perhaps we should compare shops...

· De nihilo nihil
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice review, Isaac! Where did you pick these up? Perhaps we should compare shops...
I picked them up at Rich's on (s)Nob Hill/NW 23rd. I went in looking for a Viaje, struck out, and grabbed these. I want to say I've seen them down at 11th Ave Liquor, which means they'd be less expensive there. I'll double check tomorrow when I'm there.

3,417 Posts
I got some recently out on 82nd Ave, a pack of each of the three other varieties, but I believe they were closer to $15 for each 5-pack. I've not yet visited 11th Ave liquor, but keep hearing good things. Let us (okay, me) know what you find out.

3,417 Posts
. . . it's only the 8th and my monthly budget has been exhausted.
This 12-pack was one of the items that helped me reach the goal early this month.

Just came in today, and were supposed to be the Gran Reserva Corojo No. 1 Originals. I won't complain, though, at $1.75/cigar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.