Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
formerly Jokieman
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got my 9 cigar sampler of Lonsdales in the other day from Jr's, and Today I tried a couple....

The first was a Monte Cristo White No. 1 (I believe)

The wrapper looked great, and it had a strong refreshing peppery taste to it when I lit up. Before lighting it smelled pleasant, but with no hint of the pepper I experienced...

It went downhill from there. I noticed when I first made my cut that it was a little harder to draw on than previous cigars I've had, so I made a bigger cut and lit up. By the halfway point I had purged this cigar twice and at the 2 1/2 inch point the draw became very difficult, and the cigar needed to be relit. After about another 5 minutes, it needed another purging and the draw became so difficult that I ended up just putting it out.

Oh, After lighting, the smell of the cigar started emitting the peppery scent. It was refreshing, like I said, and my wife said it cleared her sinuses. hehe (not in a bad way)

There was some complexity to it towards the midpoint, between purges my wife and I both noticed hints of oak mixed in with the peppery smell.

However, I was disappointed with the fact that it was so tightly rolled, and that it loaded up so quickly and required so many purgings. I expected more from such a respected cigar maker.

Feeling dangerous though, I decided to try a second cigar from the box... And believe me, it was very dangerous indeed.

The second was a:

Romeo Y Julieta Reserve (I'm guessing it had a maduro wrapper? it was darker than the wrapper's I'm used to.

Before I lit it, the cigar had a faint odor to it that I can only describe as "Sweet Pooey stink." It didn't smell well at all to me. Because I'm new to cigars and basically a cigar-tard I figured it might taste different than it smelled, like the Monte did.

First, this one was also a very hard draw upon cutting, so I cut a bigger hole and it seemed manageable like the Monte was at first. Unfortunately, I never got down to the halfway point. In fact this one stayed lit for about 3 minutes before I put it out.

It smelled like poo, tasted like poo, and my wife came out onto the porch and asked me what moron had let their dog poop right by our porch. This was when I put it out.

Perhaps I'm not seasoned enough to try this cigar, but I really don't think my nostrils or my tastebuds would ever get used to smoking poo. Maybe I'm wrong here. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why I didn't like it, was it something I did wrong? Or are my tastebuds messed up somehow?

Determined to get the most out of the matter, I finished off with a Cusano 18, and I am now writing this with a big smile on my face, and feeling very pleasant. It's the first time I've had 2 full cigars in one day, and the buzz I've got is pretty great! :D

If the Monte hadn't needed purging (so many times), and wasn't plugged, I believe it would have been wonderful after some of my spicey homemade chilli, But overall, I wasn't impressed and I'm now a little put off of the entire altadis line.

I'm terrified of lighting up the two don diego's that came in the sampler, as I heard someone else mention recently that they taste like dog crap too. :confused: , I didn't think this was literally possible, but after tonight, I know better.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Jokieman said:
It smelled like poo, tasted like poo, and my wife came out onto the porch and asked me what moron had let their dog poop right by our porch. This was when I put it out.
Hahaha!!! Great!!!

·
-
11,412 Posts
i'm the one who can't finish a don diego cuz they taste like charred ashy dirt. to me, they just plain suck.

glad you liked the cusano...

now, back to the piece of poo.

what flavors was it that you didn't like? did it make you feel like spitting all the time? like you had a mouthful of dry dirt that someone dumped an ashtray into? <--- that's the way i feel about most "earthy" domestics.

i think you should try some CAOs, toranos, Padrons. they are more solidly construtcted than what you reviewed. i'm not a huge fan of padrons, but they're solid. i prefer Toranos and CAOs (and perdomos, but i'm one of the few around here, they're good cigars, just need time to dry out).

·
formerly Jokieman
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IHT said:
i'm the one who can't finish a don diego cuz they taste like charred ashy dirt. to me, they just plain suck.

glad you liked the cusano...

now, back to the piece of poo.

what flavors was it that you didn't like? did it make you feel like spitting all the time? like you had a mouthful of dry dirt that someone dumped an ashtray into? <--- that's the way i feel about most "earthy" domestics.
I've had a CAO gold and did enjoy it, and I like to keep a couple on hand for a change of pace. :)

The Romeo Y Julieta made me want to regurgitate, honestly. Something about the favoring of the wrapper on my lips and the smell was just overwhelmingly bad to me. I really don't think I could ever like it. I usually either like something, or hate it, very few in-betweens with me.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to try some of the ones you recommended since our tastes seem to be similar. :) :D

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had a Romeo and Juilet Reserva the other day and liked it, guess that is how tastes differ! Someone asked if one of the cigars had him want to sipt all of the time, everytime I somke a cigar I feel like I need to spit no matter waht the smoke it is. I guess my mouth just waters too much.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Very nice review! I have smoked a couple of maduros that have that Stinky Pooey smell....a CAO MX2 just a couple of weeks ago. This cigar smelled like a barn unlit and stunk like poo during the smoke also. Now, with that said I really liked this cigar! Not that I like poo, but it had just enough stinky pooey rasiny smooth dark maduro taste to keep me interested. As for the RyJ Reserva maduro, I have not smoked the single one in my humi, but the aroma is much more intense than the CAO and not very appetizing.

If you want to try some solid maduros try a Padron 2K maduro, Torano exodus gold and a CAO MX2 and see what you think.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
I happen to like the :BS aspect that many cigars display. Dog crap, on the other hand is very unpleasant. If a cigar makes me feel like I've got my face stuck in the southern end of a north bound cow, I'm just happier than a pig in sh!t. :D

·
Test Subject
2,651 Posts
Good honest review.....
Even though I have ordered a lot of cigars from J&R, I have had problems with some of their smokes, (plugged, stink when lit, etc) same problems from Cigar International...I do not order anything on special from either one anymore..Even after calling customer service received little or no help from them..I just wonder what quality of cigars your getting in these so called samplers.

Jerry in Minnesota.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Interesting about the RyJ.

The Reserve Maduro is one of my favorite smokes and I'd never experienced the "Poo" odor before... until I got some from JR's that is. I did the "8 belicosos for ordering the new magazine" deal they had a couple of months ago and it included 2 RyJ Reserve Maduro Belicosos. One of my kids came in after I opened the package and he actually checked the bottom of his shoe.

My other RyJ Reserves are NOTHING like the 2 from JR's. I haven't worked up the nerve to smoke them yet and I have them in my "Cigars I give to guests who whouldn't appreciate a quality hand-made cigar, but want to try one", humidor with the hope that they will de-pooify with a little age.

We'll see.

-Q

(Oh yeah, while I'm busting on Jr's... the other 6, I put in my 300 ct humi, and they shot the humidity up almost 10%. Geez!)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
kansashat said:
I happen to like the :BS aspect that many cigars display. Dog crap, on the other hand is very unpleasant. If a cigar makes me feel like I've got my face stuck in the southern end of a north bound cow, I'm just happier than a pig in sh!t. :D
OMG KH, I'm dyin here.... I haven't laughed this hard in ages... You are soooo weird!

I had a puros indios once that I was given, smoked and smelled like barnyard refuse... it didn't stay lit for long...I tossed it 1/2 way through.

·
formerly Jokieman
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions & Info, I really appreciate it. I may have to try another one from a different shop in the future, but I think i'll hold off for a little while and see if my tastes change (as I've heard they sometimes do over a period of months.)

It was the 9 lonsdale gift pack for $25.00 At Jr's, I had gotten it so I could mainly try the Montecristo's and the Romeo Y Julieta's, but also so I could test out a variety of different cigar's since I'm so new to it all. :)

I think if the Montecristo White hadn't needed purging and wasn't plugged it would have been a thoroughly enjoyable smoke, and I don't think I'm ready to give up on it quite yet just because of that. I really enjoyed the peppery smell/flavor it had.

Thanks again. All the input is valuable to me. :)

·
-
11,412 Posts
a cigar not many talk about anymore, although i liked when i was smoking domestics (because of it's lack of dirt flavor) was the La Perla Habana. they were mild and spicy at the same time... i've had some that were as hard as rocks that weren't that great, but i always managed to have some 5 packs (from C-bid.com) in my 300 count humi...

which now, my 300 count (and 150 count) are empty??
maybe i should stock up on connies? ..... then again.... i wont.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Jokieman I don't like the RyJ Reserve either. I would try the RyJ Reserve Real and the Anniversario line they are much better that the standard lines.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.