Cigar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S, there is a guy at workwho finds out I smoke cigars...He says hey I have a few that have just been taking up space do you want them....sure I say. He said but I don't even know if they are any good they are probably dried out. One or two are pretty dry. Is it worth to bring some life back into these sticks...pics to follow. They were in this box.

Only one was an identifiable RP, called a Lite with the band at the foot.

So, is this worth my time and effort,and should I just put them in my humidor which is around 68% RH, or should I just toss them.

So what do you think??

·
True Derelict
4,041 Posts
Do the prep, then destroy by fire!

With the humidity hovering right at 80% here at the campground, you could send them to me for some hydration. After a couple days, they would go into the dry box for some stabilization before being destroyed while sitting around the BBQ pit.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well, they're okay smokes in regard to quality...probably a little on the mild side for me. I guess it sort of depends on how long and how badly they were abused. If they've been in a sock drawer at 15% humidity for two years, they're probably toast. If he bought them for a wedding reception last month and didn't smoke them, and the humidity hasn't been ridiculously low, they can probably be mostly saved even if they haven't been in a humidor.

Since you have no money invested in it, I don't really think you have much to lose by giving it a shot. Be careful bringing them up too fast. The wrapper will absorb humidity fairly quickly; the filler will take longer to equalize. The foot, being open, will also absorb/expand quicker. That being the case, you might want to make this a separate process and use a tupperware container to slow down the re-humidifying process and achieve the same level as your humidor. The other advantage to this would be that you could isolate the "strange" cigars from your regulars in case there are beetle problems.

My problem with pitching them would be that they were a gift. I'm a big believer in "It's the thought that counts." Even if they were trashed, I'd probably still try them and thank the giver for giving them to me, regardless of how they smoked.

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,752 Posts
Its a 50/50 shot good luck!

·
Codger In Training
4,771 Posts
The Davidoff is a fantastic and relatively expensive mild-medium cigar. The Punch is certainly decent enough, but cheap enough that I wouldn't feel bad about pitching it. Same for the RP Edge Lite (actually, I don't think I've tried the Lite, but I've had the original and maduro). No idea what the unbanded ones are.

Regardless, I'd toss 'em in the humidor and cross my fingers. Definitely worth a shot.

·
Registered
863 Posts
i wouldn't be too upset if you pitched that RP edge lite. i have no idea what the two unbanded ones are, but they look like a very lite wrapper. the punch is easily found. the davidoff is the only one that looks like it is really worth saving. i would give them a shot in the humidor for a while, then incinerate.

·
Disinterested
10,299 Posts
I'd determine based on the ambient humidity in your area and whether or not the guy has central air and heating, or perhaps a humidification system attached to it. If they haven't spent a prolonged time below 50%, I'd say go for it.

It's a SLOW process that should be done SLOWLY. You don't want to increase humidity all at once, but rather take them to 55%, 60% and then to their final respite. I'd say about a month at each step and probably 6 before I'd smoke them.

·
Architeuthis dux
704 Posts
I had some dried out cigars a while back and brought them back up to the correct humidity and they weren't bad. Do take your time when bringing them back to life as others have mentioned here. I brought one of them up too fast and it split on me a little. I lucked out and it didn't split enough for air to get through so it still smoked fine.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I am goingtoleave them a travelhumi I have with some KL,seewhat happens.They weren't really a gift so to speak.Basically he was cleaning out his space and needed to get rid of these orphans. I'll let ya know what happens maybe next summer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had some cigars a friend gave me, 2 punch, that had been sitting in his car for god knows how long. They dry but didnt seem too bad, I thought it wouldnt hurt to try and salvage them.

I threw them right in my humidor and just about over night they exploded, literally. They were probably toast anyway but maybe I should of put them in a lower RH environment before putting them in my humi :doh:, which is 70% RH.

My opinion, which may mean little, start them in a lower RH environment.

It was actually kind of cool to see.

·
Architeuthis dux
704 Posts
I had some cigars a friend gave me, 2 punch, that had been sitting in his car for god knows how long. They dry but didnt seem too bad, I thought it wouldnt hurt to try and salvage them.

I threw them right in my humidor and just about over night they exploded, literally. They were probably toast anyway but maybe I should of put them in a lower RH environment before putting them in my humi :doh:, which is 70% RH.

My opinion, which may mean little, start them in a lower RH environment.

It was actually kind of cool to see.
Cigars are definitely not at home in a car! That would be like keeping them in an oven for an extended period of time causing them to really dry out. Did you take any pictures of the exploded cigars?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts