Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or does Gurhka cigars never live up to the hype. I mean for the amount of money that your must pay per cigar, and with all of the advertising hype that goes into the "Rolls Royce" of cigars, I have never smoked one that deserved this prestigious title. Granted, since im not made of millions, I have not tried the His Majesty's Reserve or their other $500+ per cigar line, I can not comment on those SUPER HIGH END cigars.

I tried the Beast awhile back, along with many others lines of Gurkha. The other day I reluctantly bought the Titan, and the wrapper ran more then an escaped convict. I was constantly repairing the burn. This isn't a fluke either, this burning problem has happened to me from most Gurkhas that i've smoked. The flavor was nothing spectacular, in fact just plain forgettable. The reason why I write this is, it's the first time that i've smoked a cigar, and couldn't wait for it to be done.

Anyone else disappointed by the "Rolls Royce" of cigars?

· Registered
271 Posts
Is it just me or does Gurhka cigars never live up to the hype. I mean for the amount of money that your must pay per cigar, and with all of the advertising hype that goes into the "Rolls Royce" of cigars, I have never smoked one that deserved this prestigious title. Granted, since im not made of millions, I have not tried the His Majesty's Reserve or their other $500+ per cigar line, I can not comment on those SUPER HIGH END cigars.

I tried the Beast awhile back, along with many others lines of Gurkha. The other day I reluctantly bought the Titan, and the wrapper ran more then an escaped convict. I was constantly repairing the burn. This isn't a fluke either, this burning problem has happened to me from most Gurkhas that i've smoked. The flavor was nothing spectacular, in fact just plain forgettable. The reason why I write this is, it's the first time that i've smoked a cigar, and couldn't wait for it to be done.

Anyone else disappointed by the "Rolls Royce" of cigars?
It's not you.

· Registered
98 Posts
I've had good Gurkhas and bad Gurkhas. I wouldn't classify it as a 'luxury' cigar. There MSRP is outragous and I think it is a marketing ploy. It possibly could be genius marketing strategy trying to convince the customer that they are getting a deal all the time with their 'MSRP' prices.

Sometimes I laugh when reading a catalog with some of the 'suggested retail' prices of their cigars. 12 perfectos for $370 retail, on sale for $40. Sounds great, a STEAL, but I've bought those 12 perfectos 6x60 black dragon ( shit, I forgot the name of the things, who knows w/ the amount of names Gurkha uses, more marketing ) and they weren't great. Never would pay over 10 a piece, $20 a piece, ah!

· Registered
361 Posts
I've had good Gurkhas and bad Gurkhas. I wouldn't classify it as a 'luxury' cigar. There MSRP is outragous and I think it is a marketing ploy. Sometimes I laugh when reading a catalog with some of the 'suggested retail' prices of their cigars.
:tpd:

I've had some Gurkhas, though, that are excellent smokes. It's hit or miss with me, but there are very few brands that aren't "Hit or Miss" to me.

· Registered
271 Posts
Welcome to the board. Apparently you haven't been introduced to the Devil Site yet. Gurkhas aren't bad for a $3 cigar and you can fill up your humidor with Gurkhas for $3 a stick at the Devil Site.
I still think there are better sticks to be had at $3 a piece. CI Yellow, CI White, Joya Celebracion, etc.

I've tried the beast, beauty, titan, and most of the others. I thought the beast, beauty, and titan were sub par, and as to the others, while not terrible, I'd rather spend my money on cigars I like.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It seems that they put most of the money into their packaging and advertising and not into making a cigar worth the price. I mean who really wants a metal or leather case with a box of cigars. They have "more talk, then walk"

· Registered
827 Posts
I will say nothing about the Gurkha other than we only sell the Cognac and the owner is a very very nice guy. They sell a ton of sticks, so they must be doing something right? I chose the opposite approach. Little to no packaging (keep the prices low) and focus on the blends.
:ss

· Registered
271 Posts
I will say nothing about the Gurkha other than we only sell the Cognac and the owner is a very very nice guy. They sell a ton of sticks, so they must be doing something right?
I'm sure he's a great guy. His marketing and sales ability are next to none and I can respect that. His cigars seem to attract people new to cigars and he manages to keep them as customers (unlike acid).

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will say nothing about the Gurkha other than we only sell the Cognac and the owner is a very very nice guy. They sell a ton of sticks, so they must be doing something right?
While i've never med the dude personally, from the interviews that i've read, he does seem like a very intelligent and probably nice guy.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.