Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend my family and i will be traveling to Ireland for a week long vacation. First we will stay in dublin. Why'll their we will get a pint at the Guinness factory and see the sights. Then we will travel to Galway.

Question:
Has anybody been to Ireland if so can you recommond some places to see in either Dublin or Galway or in between the since we will be driving to Galway from Dublin.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Man ... I can just smell the peat fire in a cosy pub, tipping back a Smithwicks and yarnin' with the locals.

Depending on how damp it is and if you are en famille or not, Inishmore is a nice trip to visit the concentric ring fort (forget the same). Be sure to bring walking shoes/sneakers.

South of Galway are the cliffs of Moher (sp??) and ring of Kerry.

Newgrange is worth a detour if the allow you to go inside still. When I was there 10 years ago they were talking about stopping that. A pity, amazing to see. Kylemore Abbey is quite pretty but relatively new.

Did I mention the pubs? Remember they drive on the wrong side there and they drink. Be careful.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
D. Generate said:
I'm jealous! :c I've always wanted to go to Ireland.

And bring back some redheads. Unlike Hollywood, I'm not joking. :D
I'm guessing a young guy like Dale can handle his share, but I'm good for any redheads he passes on. :p

·
Banned
87 Posts
There is a total smoking ban in Ireland--no smoking in pubs, no smoking in any public indoor venue--a truly revolting development. James Joyce is no doubt vomiting in his grave. For an idea of how pathetic the smoking situation is in Ireland you might want to check out:

www.sadireland.com

The cigar aficionados in Ireland are heading to Northern Ireland or England for some decent pub action.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Last time I was there, you could still smoke everywhere--I don't think there was an hour I was awake in which I didn't have either a pipe or a cigar going.

As far as Dublin goes, the brewery is a cool sight to see--you get a great view of Dublin and an ice cold pint at the top. All of the pubs are fun and the Guinness you get there truly is far superior to any pour you'll have elsewhere in the world--the folks there are right, Guinness just doesn't travel well.

I would also recommend taking a tour of Dublin Castle. For a history buff like me, it was pretty awesome experience.

If you like golf, there are some great courses close as well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey thanks alot for the info you guys. To bad about the smoking laws i was looking forward to smoking a nice cigar :c all well i guess i will just have to seatle for lots of Guinness. Oh and SeanGar thanks for the suggestions, the cliffs are very close to were we are staying in Galway so we have something to look forward to as well. And as for as the redheads i will take some pic's to show you what you missed out on :tg

:D thanks again guys :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've only been in the Northern Ireland (Belfast) area. If you like Guinness, you'll flip when you taste a pint over there! Its ssssooooo much better - maybe because its fresher, i don't know.

Oh, and be prepared to wait a while for a pint! They make sure that baby is topped off before serving it to you, and you know Guinness... that takes a while. A word of advice... if you get about half way though your pint and know you'll have another... order it at that time. Then when you finish drinking your pint, they will be just getting done pouring your next one!

·
Registered
343 Posts
One more thing....

While you're hitting the pubs, try one of my other favorite pints of irish brew while you're there...

Looks pretty good, eh???

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
knuckles said:
One more thing....

While you're hitting the pubs, try one of my other favorite pints of irish brew while you're there...

Looks pretty good, eh???
That looks so good I am going to have a couple of pints of that as well. :al

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We are also going to hit the links. I will make sure that i take plenty of pic's of the course and everything else and post them here with a detailed review for you guys. :cool:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Ireland UPDATED

:u Hello again not to happy about being back in the states but had to come back. Ireland was awesome! One word comes to my head Heaven. We could not have had a better week.
Dublin was rainy when we arrived but cleared up as soon as we got to our hotel in central Dublin stayed there for one night and then we drove to Clifton, Galway about 3hrs outside Dublin. That was a very scary drive their roads are very small to compare think of a neighborhood road and turn it into a highway that you can pass on we could literally touch the vehicles that passed us. Thats another thing their vehicles do not suck gas like ours, we drove a van while we were there and we thought that the fuel guage was broken b/c the needle did not move after a 3hr drive it was crazy.Sorry for cutting this story a little short I will start the next chapter as soon as i get the pictures back. Just wanted to give you heads up on our trip I will write a more detailed review as so as i get all our pictures back and you will see this beautiful country. :D
Oh by the we came home and our front door was blown to smithereens and our neighbor gave us what looked like our mailbox.the contains include a issue of Cigar Aficionado and a Puros Roly and a Don Melo. I think these were from MiamiE if so thank you for my first bomb :w

·
Banned
87 Posts
Re: Ireland UPDATED

CAOlover said:
:u Hello again not to happy about being back in the states but had to come back. Ireland was awesome! One word comes to my head Heaven. We could not have had a better week.
....so ditch your cigars and move to Ireland, a veritible nanny-state
smoking-ban paradise......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.