Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
-
11,412 Posts
my grandpa, who worked forever as an engineer at mcdonald douglas, he told my brother and I that he had to learn how to use the first computers... they took "punch cards" that you slid into a slot and whatever configuration the punches were is what the computer did...

he also designed the nuts/bolts/screws that went on a # of airplanes that the military still uses today (f-16 i do believe was one of them), and the tools that worked on them.

now we have friggin palm pilots that have as much power as that thing that took up a living room!

wonders of science and how far we've come. i think of that every time i'm flying over an ocean... "y'know, we were just learning about fire, and here i am in a giant metal tube with wings, hauling ass over the ocean..."

amazing, and scary at the same time.
:al

·
Registered
163 Posts
While it is a great picture, it is fake.

Check out this link if you want the full story:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp

It's a picture from a US submarine control room display that's been photoshoped.

However I have punched many a punch card in my early days of computer science when computers used core memory and a large memory was around 30 kilobytes, that's 30 thousand! as opposed to most laptops that come standard with 250 million!

Guess I'm getting old! :r

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Too bad it is a hoax! I was hoping I could get one of those steering wheel type things for my home pc! :r

I do remember the punch cards. Friends in college would carry those things around and if they got out of order or they lost some, man, you should have heard them cry! :mad:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
partagaspete said:
When it first popped up I thought it was Capt. Nemo at the helm of the Nautilus.

T
As it turns out, maybe it was Captain Nemo! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.