Cigar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has done it. What choice do you use. Any do's and don't about it. What is you favorite. What process to use or take.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only reason I ask is that I have heard that some dip their sticks in some liquid and is this not the same or some type of infusing. :dunno:

I mean, could not one fill their Humidifier with some liquid other then water and the cigar would take it up. :dunno:

· Registered
7,325 Posts
I've seen people dip the tip in cognac, scotch, etc throughout the smoking process. Just makes it sloppy-wet to me, but whatever.
Yeah, I think that's how the Kahlua is made for General. Big vat of Kahlua in the room with the aging cigars. I don't have the room, time, patience, or intelligence...........

· Registered
1,471 Posts
I used to have a second small humi where I just kept a layer of unused coffee ground up in the bottom. It gave the cigars a nice toasty coffee taste.

· Registered
1,947 Posts
I do a home-brewed version of infusion

I use liquor instead of distilled water to humidify a “Tupper-dore” for several months to year. I use the Tupper-dore because I want a larger area then I would get in a regular humidor, and this allows for a larger airspace to exchange “vapors” in. The liquor(s) of choice for me are scotches and bourbons. Once in a while I’ll place a sweet liquor in like Benedictine or Amoretto in the humidifier. The humidifier is simply a glass container with floral clay in it. I also place a small amount of glycol solution in the sponge to prevent over humidification. Any cigars I put into the infusion process do not get touched except for the occasional rotation to assure all are getting equal exposure to the booze. The process won’t make a dog rocket in to a primo, but it does move them up from the “toss out” list to the “okay to smoke while mowing the yard” list. 8)

I’ll try and take a few pictures of the apparatus this weekend and post them for you guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Patrick said:
I used to have a second small humi where I just kept a layer of unused coffee ground up in the bottom. It gave the cigars a nice toasty coffee taste.
Thank you Patrick. I was just wondering if changing the liquid (not that I want to) that we use could maybe change the flavor of our sticks. You sold me.

I guess I need to buy another humi and play with it a bit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ram416 said:
I do a home-brewed version of infusion

I use liquor instead of distilled water to humidify a "Tupper-dore" for several months to year. I use the Tupper-dore because I want a larger area then I would get in a regular humidor, and this allows for a larger airspace to exchange "vapors" in. The liquor(s) of choice for me are scotches and bourbons. Once in a while I'll place a sweet liquor in like Benedictine or Amoretto in the humidifier. The humidifier is simply a glass container with floral clay in it. I also place a small amount of glycol solution in the sponge to prevent over humidification. Any cigars I put into the infusion process do not get touched except for the occasional rotation to assure all are getting equal exposure to the booze. The process won't make a dog rocket in to a primo, but it does move them up from the "toss out" list to the "okay to smoke while mowing the yard" list. 8) :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

You the man Ram. Thanks Rick. And the process begins.

I'll try and take a few pictures of the apparatus this weekend and post them for you guys.

· Registered
1,471 Posts
I don't add any moisture, I just use dry freshly ground coffee.

· Registered
1,947 Posts
Pat,

I've heard of the dry infusion process, it’s also called aromatic infusion. Drew Estate uses the process along with wet infusion, or hydroscopic infusion. The dry process is used to impart the elements of the herbal components. From my understanding of the operation, dry infusion takes a lot longer then wet infusion. It also is much more subtle then wet infusion.

So, if one wanted to accelerate the process of imparting a coffee flavor into their cigars, one might try steeping a coffee extract with a glycol solution and small amount of alcohol to act as a preservative and transfer vehicle, to gain a faster and hardier transfer of the coffee’s aromatic elements.

· Registered
1,947 Posts
Cycleman said:
So what do you call the type of infussion that Clinton did with ol' Monica???
Ahh..that's was the third method...the skanky method, also called the damp punta method... :oops:

· Registered
2,540 Posts
This all seems complicated and involved. Given that I like a flavored cigar 1-2 times a year its easier just to head over the B&M cigar store.

· Registered
1,947 Posts
Ice, it can be a complex process. I started out doing it as an experiment to recover some dog rockets I was gifted. With a little trial and error, I happened on to a system that works just for that process. 8)

Call me a cheap-ass Irishman, but could bring myself to just toss out a stick. :|

· Registered
2,540 Posts
ram416 said:
Ice, it can be a complex process. I started out doing it as an experiment to recover some dog rockets I was gifted. With a little trial and error, I happened on to a system that make works just for that process. 8)

Call me a cheap-ass Irishman, but could bring myself to just toss out a stick. :|
Maybe I should reconsider... I am a cheap-ass half Irishman... :beerchug:

· Registered
372 Posts
I've never tried this before, but I've always been curious. Maybe I'll have to give it a go.

· Puff.com Editor & Writer
3,894 Posts
Rocketman248 said:
I've never tried this before, but I've always been curious. Maybe I'll have to give it a go.
It sounds like fun to me too. :smoke:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.