Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Habanos SA website:

Habanos S.A. is pleased to announce the world launching of Edmundo, the new vitola from Montecristo. The launching is going to take place in Paris on May, 13 . Coprova, our Exclusive Distributor in France will be in charge of this remarkable event. Other Exclusive Distributors will be invited to the launching of Edmundo which is the first size to be added to Montecristo's standard size range since 1971.

From a reputable source dated today:

Lots of stories about regarding the new Montecristo Edmundo
which is due to be launched in the UK market on the 20th of May but I have it confirmed :

1) Edmundo is not yet for sale in Havana
2) Edmundo is not yet for sale anywhere.

Consequently,if you have bought or been offered Edmundo already,
it is likely that the cigars are not what they are purported to be.

Heres my question. If the Montecristo Edmundo in due to be released in May, according to Habanos SA, how is it that some of you already have them?
If I were a cautious man, I would question my sources.

·
Registered
226 Posts
"Diplomatico
Club Member

Posted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:01 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And mine came from a LCDH owner who scored several boxes pre-launch from a friendship he has with a VP at Habanos SA. Review posted.
"
This was a post at Cigar Weekly today. Apparently David at the TJ LCDH has had quite a few boxes.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Promo boxes? Wait, if Habanos SA controls the launching date of a cigar & also names the distributer (Coprova) that will be launching the event, I see no way anyone can get a "promo", let alone a full box. I could be wrong, but I personally wont be buying any Edmundos till after they are more widely available. I would rather "know" I will get the real deal, then "hope" I get the real deal. :)

Kinda reminds me of when Siglo VI's were starting to show up a month before they were officially released. Reports of fake VI's floated around at that time too.

Just food for thought.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Deem said:
"
And mine came from a LCDH owner who scored several boxes pre-launch from a friendship he has with a VP at Habanos SA. Review posted.
"
This was a post at Cigar Weekly today. Apparently David at the TJ LCDH has had quite a few boxes.

What Deem said, and sources have also indicated to me that the LCDH does have a few boxes.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I got mine from MotheMan and his source seems legit to me.
If they were not real, then they used Montecristo's tobacco.
I know two very reputable sites that are selling them.
One advertizes right here on C.S.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Poker, didn't the LCDH in TJ have the Siglo VI's before the official release for an event? The box Barry bought? Not sure the exact date and if it was before official release though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
me thinks the reputible source....who calls us his friend....is in competition with the other vendors...........so dont believe every email you recieve..why is he so concerned anyway? oh...thats right hes our friend...yeah, right..o.k.
there around and there legit...he simply hasnt got them in yet... ;)

·
Registered
756 Posts
poker said:
Heres my question. If the Montecristo Edmundo in due to be released in May, according to Habanos SA, how is it that some of you already have them?
If I were a cautious man, I would question my sources.
and i would love to hear about, or see the responses from these vendors posted here if possible. of course ommitting the vendor.
jimmy

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ilikecigars, obviously you got the same email as I did. This led me to seek out my own answers by searching the Habanos SA website Habanos SA

This led me to the original question in my post:
If the Montecristo Edmundo in due to be released May 13th, according to Habanos SA, how is it that some of you already have them?

The business you mention in your post is irrelevant to the question.

Now I dont doubt for one minute that there are some Edmundos out there. Trust me, I know. I have had Trinidad Robusto Extras & other cigars 4+ months prior to their "official" release, so I know some cigars get handed out prior to launching, but lots of full boxes?

Another question since Im probably alone on this one (and thats okay, I dont mind asking questions): What exactly is everyone using as a "guage" for authenticity on these cigars? What are you comparing them to?

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
poker said:
Another question since Im probably alone on this one (and thats okay, I dont mind asking questions): What exactly is everyone using as a "guage" for authenticity on these cigars? What are you comparing them to?
That's a great question to ask because I'm always suspicious of any Cuban cigar I ever smoke as to its authenticity. Even if it's from a reliable, established, reputable source, I still carry a small degree of suspicion. Part of that, I guess, is because there's still secrecy surrounding the island of Cuba (i.e., the way the Castro or any communist regime rules), and with secrecy there can be inconsistency of information. So even if I know of a reputable source, I don't know how good or reliable their suppliers are.

In one of my first posts on CS I wrote, "Now I can never be sure that what I'm getting is 100% authentic Havanas, no matter where I am ordering from, even if it's from Davidoff of Geneva", and that's just what I've come to believe. When it comes to ISOM's, it's still a bit of a crap shoot where you take your chances. BUT, those chances are getting better and better all the time in our (the consumer's) favor.

Back to your question Poker, because I think it's a very important question for CS. What I use as a guage is a number of different factors and not just a single one. Here's what I look for.

1) Authenticity. I keep a mental note on box codes, seals, box and band craftsmanship, and nearly always check them out (often more than once).
2) I scrutinize the heck out of any new dealer (new to me that is) of ISOM's (or Domestics) before I even think of ordering anything from them.
3) I try to get a lot of feedback from others I know as to how legit a source of (ANY) cigars are. What their experience has been, have they been satisfied, etc...
4) I try to guage the level of experience and knowledge of anyone I talk to about cigars (ISOM or domestic). Not really to see if I know more or have better information, but because there are people out there that are walking treasure troves of information on cigars. Ture BOTL. One guy in our local herf, Kim (he doesn't post here), has introduced me to so many Domestics that I had never considered before that I really owe him a lot.
5) I pay attention to subtleties when I'm around someone I consider an experienced BOTL. People who've been smoking a long time have subtle ways of checking a cigar, a look, a touch, OR even the way they reminisce about a cigar they've smoked. I saw Cashcow (I miss him) nod a particular way when I was discussing the Quintero brand with. I got this gut feeling that he knew a lot about this brand and may have been smoking it for many years before I even got into cigars. That's why I enjoy herfing so much.

BUT, there are still other subtleties I look for.

6) The look, touch, feel, scent, burn, ash, aroma, taste, and finish all are important.
7) The QUESTION. I always ask myself, especially when I'm trying a new cigar if the way it smokes, its flavor, the mood and experience I'm getting from it are what this cigar is all about. I guage if others think it's a good cigar because they have a similar experience when smoking it. This, to me, is a measure of its authenticity
8) Experience! That's an important one because I can't tell you how many fakes and counterfeits I've smoked over the years, and after a while you just don't want to waste any more of your money or time on crap and you develop a good feel for spotting a fake. A true story here: In 1996 I was at a resort in Mexico and bought a few BBF's at a cigar shop (supposedly well thought of) near my resort. Didn't really enjoy smoking them that much and held on to the last couple of sticks. Nearly two years later I was in Jamaica when the proprietor of the resort's duty free shop offered me another BBF. I shirked and declined it much to his surprise. He tried very hard persuading me that the quality of the cigar was good, then he made me an offer. He would give it to me at no charge and if I liked it then to buy the next one (BBF) to smoke. Man, I can still remember that BBF to this day. It was fantastic & really turned me around to this brand. Bought the last of his half box before I left the island. Now here's the good part. I still had two (BBF) cigars left from that trip to Mexico two years before stitting in my humidor, so when I got home I did a comparison. THERE WAS NO COMPARISON!! The cigars from Mexico weren't a belicoso, they were a torpedo size!!! Their wrapper was darker and coarser. I also did a cigar dissection for comparison. The Mexican one had poorer quality leaves, mixed short & long fillers, where the BBF did not have that.

BTW, IMHO, I don't think that Jamaica or Mexico, in general, have very many good sources for ISOM's, so buyer beware.

9) My gut feeling. A vague and very personal guage where I ask if I think I'm smoking an authentic stick.

Poker, I don't think you were questioning if some of us feel we know of legitimate sources, but I think your broad based question is an important one for everyone to ponder, and a good question at that.

I guess my answer to your question is that I really have no (100% reliable) way to verify authenticity of a cigar (even to know if a domestic is of good quality). But I do know if I'm enjoying the cigar I'm smoking, if I think it's the real thing, and if I think I got my money's worth. :u

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Great Pictures Bruce, and not just the Edmundos.
How the heck did you find these?

MoTheMan

·
Registered
921 Posts
Mo, us less tenured primates still can have something up our sleeves...
besides lots of hair.
Once on the link, click the "next" button to see add'l pictures
of the Edmundo box.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
I'm not sure that the Cohiba Exquisitos came in varnished boxes back in '91 (some of the LLG's out there may want to correct me on that), but I do remember that the Cohiba line used to be Cellophaned for some time.

Geez that guy has a lot of cigars. Nice collection; one that I'd like to emulate someday.

MoTheMan

1 - 20 of 50 Posts