Cigar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got myself a nice little humidor recently that holds roughly 20 cigars (depending on size) and i've gone through the process of seasoning/priming it with distilled water and added a little bit to the humidifying device. Once it reached its equilibrium it now seems to be holding steady around 63% to 66% RH which is probably ideal but if i wanted to boost it just a little more and get it up closer to 70% how could I go about it? should I just add a little more distilled water to the humidifier? will it slowly creep up this way?

And what is the ideal RH? alot of people say 70% is a bit too high and 65% give or take is perfect so is my humidor basically sitting perfect?

I currently have 4 cigars in it at the moment. soon to be more so i want to make sure my RH is sitting consistent before i start going all out adding more cigars. thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
8,513 Posts
65% RH really is ideal for most of us (though some prefer a few points lower). But those old-fashioned sponge/foam type humidifiers that come with most humidors are not. Bovedas are much better and the overwhelming recommendation around here. They are water pillows that come in various "preset" RH's and work as a 2-way humidifier, both increasing and decreasing humidity as necessary.

You can use a 69% RH Boveda to get closer to 70%, but I wouldn't unless your humidor leaks. Keeping your cigars at higher RH typically results in poor burn characteristics and may adversely affect flavor.

Some wooden humidors do leak air enough to require a Boveda with a higher stated RH in order to steadily maintain a few points lower. Still, I'd start with a 65 RH and see if it holds. For your 20 cigar humidor one 60g Boveda should do the trick nicely and, barring too much air loss, will last a long, long time.

Reactions: Rondo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
65% RH really is ideal for most of us (though some prefer a few points lower). But those old-fashioned sponge/foam type humidifiers that come with most humidors are not. Bovedas are much better and the overwhelming recommendation around here. They are water pillows that come in various "preset" RH's and work as a 2-way humidifier, both increasing and decreasing humidity as necessary.

You can use a 69% RH Boveda to get closer to 70%, but I wouldn't unless your humidor leaks. Keeping your cigars at higher RH typically results in poor burn characteristics and may adversely affect flavor.

Some wooden humidors do leak air enough to require a Boveda with a higher stated RH in order to steadily maintain a few points lower. Still, I'd start with a 65 RH and see if it holds. For your 20 cigar humidor one 60g Boveda should do the trick nicely and, barring too much air loss, will last a long, long time.
Will definitely look into the boveda packs. Thanks so much =)

·
Wildman
542 Posts
63-65% is optimal. As soon as things creep past 66% it's noticeable that things are going in the wrong direction.

First thing that comes to mind is what are you using for a hygrometer?

Must be accurate and calibrated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: got myself a 62% boveda pack but have ordered another one. i've got one boveda pack in there now with 4 cigars soon to be more but humidity is going between 57% and 59% it doesnt seem to be able to get up to 62%. i've oredered another pack because people are saying multiple packs work more efficient and not only that, the packs last longer too. I've had the boveda pack in there now for a couple of days. does it take a while before it really starts to work properly? I have also taken out the plastic humidifying device my humidor came with.

I will soon have 2 boveda packs in there so if this makes it work more efficiently then its win win

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You probably have too much air space in there
Try taking up some space with air pillows or empty Tupperware containers until you add more cigars
Your cigars are fine in the high 50s until you get it stabilized

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks I will definitely see what I can put in there in the mean time... I do understand that cigars will absorb a certain degree of moisture as well so its understandable my humidor has dropped a few % in that regard. Once i get my second boveda pack in there and some more cigars hopefully it will stablize alot easier.

·
Super Moderator
17,474 Posts
It'll take a couple weeks, at least, to drop. If you have any dry SC throw it in to suck it up. To take up space i use either empty Tupperware or blow up zip lock bags.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,474 Posts
It'll take a couple weeks, at least, to drop. If you have any dry SC throw it in to suck it up. To take up space i use either empty Tupperware or blow up zip lock bags.

Nevermind didn't read the update.. lol

·
Wildman
542 Posts
Thanks I will definitely see what I can put in there in the mean time... I do understand that cigars will absorb a certain degree of moisture as well so its understandable my humidor has dropped a few % in that regard. Once i get my second boveda pack in there and some more cigars hopefully it will stablize alot easier.
Things are transitioning in Fort Worth as they do each season. I have a converted beverage cooler with 4lbs of kittty litter in two plastic containers on the bottom. April-October the media absorbs moisture and may require 2 oven dryouts a season. November-March as soon as the natural gas furnace fires up the media adds moisture and I will spray it with distilled water once a month or so.

For a 20 cigar size box the medium size 60 Gram Boveda bags should do well. Only one bag at a time will handle it - 2 or 3 bags won't hurt a thing. I only use the smallest bags in a travel pack. If using the small bags, I use 5-10 of them depending upon box size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help guys, after a couple solid days with the lid consistently closed my humidor is now sitting at 59% easy (this is assuming my hygrometer is accurate, it's only a cheap one so it's possible its a few % off in terms of accuracy). Once i get my second boveda pack in there and its been in there for a few days ill post an update. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts