Cigar Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Personally, I could see myself spending a little more on a watch because it's like a nice piece of jewelry, and watches can help put together a nice look if that's important to you. I could see that scaling upwards if you made more money and maybe you're in a position of power, and your watch, among other things, is a sign of power. Then add the collecting aspect to it, with all the finery and I could see people being into expensive watches.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Personally, I could see myself spending a little more on a watch because it's like a nice piece of jewelry, and watches can help put together a nice look if that's important to you. I could see that scaling upwards if you made more money and maybe you're in a position of power, and your watch, among other things, is a sign of power. Then add the collecting aspect to it, with all the finery and I could see people being into expensive watches.
It's quite addictive so beware.
Correct assessment on Gents basic accessory unless you like rings, necklaces, ear rings and such. I told my wife I would wear a wedding watch but after being a medic in the Army I won't wear rings. I've seen a finger pop right off as it caught by a lifted up nail. Yuck.

She wouldn't buy the logic though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I own a few highend watches, but could never bring myself to purchase from grey market sites like ashford.
I've bought 2 from Jomashop. It's all about shared risk after purchase. I wouldn't buy an El Primero only because it's one of the more complicated chronograph/chronometer out there. AP, PP, VC. All tremendously expensive to service. El Primero had a ton of history but I can visit a museum for anything I can't fix or have fixed for under low 4 figures like my refrigerator/stove debacle.

I've ditched all but one chronograph because let's be for real, are you timing your kids at the track with your 5 digit watch. Probably not. You would buy a stop watch if you didn't use your phone or a digital.

I have a Bulova Lunar Pilot. Is a high frequency quartz. It's got a better story than the Omega Speedy as it was a stowaway to the moon and unknown outside of NASA until it went up for auction. I wish it was a bit smaller and had a wider strap, but in the end it's a high frequency quartz that is accurate and replaceable for $300 or a box of great cigars.

But WARNING, WAS is very contagious.

Reactions: cvrle1

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Prices of old Omega Speedmasters (late 60s and earlier) have gone to these heights, and over that. For example, Speedmaster 2998 -1 in good shape, all original will go up to $40K. If it is in pristine shape,collectors and such, you are looking close to $60K. 2998 is somewhat "easy" to find for sale. If you go back even further to something like 2915, you are looking at $70K for good and over $100K for collectors piece. Prices in last 5 years have gone insane on Speedies. 2998 about 5 years ago could have been had for $5K in good shape easily.

And if you think those are crazy, look at old Rolex watches. Those prices will make your head spin. Rolex prices is one of the reasons speedmaster prices skyrocketed. People couldnt afford old Rolex, so they went with speedy. I wouldnt say next best thing as I personally think speedies are better than rolexes, but thats a whole different story :)
It's what people pay for old Ferrari California Spyders, paintings, crazy jewelry...

The Uber rich have serious AD s but just spend way more. I see it in my Uni roommate who bought his 16 year old a new Range Rover Sport and probably considered that conservative.

It's like the movie Crazy Rich Asians.

Before he died Kim Jung IL drank several bottles of DRC burgundy multiple nights per week as most of his country starved or was imprisoned.

The more you make, the more you try to amass or spend on regular stuff.

While it keeps economies flowing it does harm quite a few of the world's inhabitants.

Of course if we could figure out all of human nature life would seem pointless and Utopian.

Reactions: cvrle1

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
I have a buddy who runs errands for a guy who owns a classic car shop. Guy makes the big bucks. A week or two ago the guy asks my buddy to drive to NYC and pick a box for him and bring it back, doesn't tell my buddy what he's picking up but he offers my buddy 1,000 to do it plus gas. (Personally I don't think I would've done it, seems pretty sketchy to me). But my buddy did it and he brings back the box, the guy opens up the box and it's this super extravagant watch and he tells my buddy he just bought it in an auction for 24,000 dollars.... my only question is what the hell kinda watch costs 24,000 dollars. The thing better have some sort of portal device in or something like what the hell.

Dang this is an old post!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have a buddy who runs errands for a guy who owns a classic car shop. Guy makes the big bucks. A week or two ago the guy asks my buddy to drive to NYC and pick a box for him and bring it back, doesn't tell my buddy what he's picking up but he offers my buddy 1,000 to do it plus gas. (Personally I don't think I would've done it, seems pretty sketchy to me). But my buddy did it and he brings back the box, the guy opens up the box and it's this super extravagant watch and he tells my buddy he just bought it in an auction for 24,000 dollars.... my only question is what the hell kinda watch costs 24,000 dollars. The thing better have some sort of portal device in or something like what the hell.

Dang this is an old post!
It is old post, but we can still discuss it. If anything, prices have gone up since last year on some of the watches that were discussed. I know Omega Speedmaster keeps going up, and will do more this year, as it is 50 years since moon landing. I am just hoping that in 2020 we'll see prices start going down (highly unlikely) so that I could grab another one haha. I always find it interesting that a lot of people scoff at spending $2K on a watch, but dont bat an eye when they spend over $1K on a new cell phone. And they do that every time a new version of iphone or samsung whatever comes out.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
It is old post, but we can still discuss it. If anything, prices have gone up since last year on some of the watches that were discussed. I know Omega Speedmaster keeps going up, and will do more this year, as it is 50 years since moon landing. I am just hoping that in 2020 we'll see prices start going down (highly unlikely) so that I could grab another one haha. I always find it interesting that a lot of people scoff at spending $2K on a watch, but dont bat an eye when they spend over $1K on a new cell phone. And they do that every time a new version of iphone or samsung whatever comes out.
I know I just found myself almost responding to @churchpunk thinking he was back after 1 plus years lol!

·
Registered
332 Posts
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.