Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The firstborn left the nest for good this morning.

My oldest, C.J., climbed into his rental truck and left the nest; heading to NYC to start his first job. He's only been home from grad school in London for less than two weeks and now he's gone again. There's so much more I wanted to say to him but I couldn't find all the words.

I know them leaving home, to go out on their own and start a new chapter in their lives, is why we bring children into this world. While somewhat sad, I am touched with much pride that he is now on his own and that perhaps my wife and I did something right along the way that will serve him well.

This calls for nice Lagavulin and a Club Epicure (thanks Kerry) tonight.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I don't know how he got to be such a good kid with you as an old man, Jan must have done something VERY right!! LMAO!! Right now I can't wait for that moment in my kids life...LMAO!!! But, I know when it comes I will be very sad to see 'em go. We all wish him well and a successful career!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have a 9 year old girl and a 7 year old boy and haven't reached your stage yet but what brings me comfort is the old adage..."If you love someone set them free, if they don't come back hunt them down and kill 'em".:p :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine are 30 and 29, the roost has been empty for 8 years, it is just like starting out all over again, freedom to eat your own favorite foods, no teenagers telling you about the sins of cigar smoking, and all the extra money!! You gonna love it after you adjust to it. And then the Grandchildren come and you find out you wished you had had them first, they are way better than your own kids. You can spoil the hell out of them and give em back. Paybacks are hell.. Enjoy your newfound freedom. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Flip,
I know the feeling. My 2nd and last leaves this Aug. Right now he's 33 days driving around the US then off to San Fran.
It was good seeing you last week. :w

·
Registered
718 Posts
Mine are 12 and 10. I sometimes wake in cold sweats dreading their teen years, which are looming ever closer. I remember what I was like as a teenager. God help me.

But then, there will be an encouraging note such as yours and I think, well, maybe there's hope after all.

Congratulations.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can somewhat relate to that, you know whats strange. I have a 16 year old that I used to see every weekend. (I'm a weekend Dad) Now that he is getting older the friends, girlfriend, and his fast food restaurant job is now taking up all his time. Even the phone calls are not as frequent. I was happy to have more free time at first and proud of his maturing into a fine young man but every weekend comes and its not the same. Anyway, enough mushy stuff here! BRING ON THE STOGIE TALK!!!!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i couldn't wait to get the f*ck out of my parents house and i'm sure your son is thinking the same thing. so, from his point of view, it's the best day of his life. hope that makes you feel better ;)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I am there with you on this one in that my daughter is leaving for college in another month and we find ourselves making up excuses to hang with each other. Last night she pulled out a Backwoods and just pointed to the door and we went out and spent an hour just talking about everything under the moon.

CJ is your living legacy now, your contribution to make the world a better place. The sad thing is that he can't make his contribution until he leaves...which is why this time is so bittersweet.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Thanks for the level set Flip Flop! My twins are almost 2 years old now, and it seems like yesterday I was watching them being born. Your message reminds me to enjoy every single day, as in another minute they will be leaving the nest as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts