Cigar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Can walk again.
8,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw an Illusione ad in Cigar Press mag that featured the Rev. Jim Jones. I did some searching and found that Dion(the owner of the brand) was using the same wallpaper at IPCPR this year. You can see it just over his shoulder. I like the Illusione line but this kinda thing turns me off to the product. Am I alone in feeling this way?

The writer of the article that this pic came from summed up my feelings:

(Sorry, killing reporters, which Jones' people did - Don Harris of NBC News for one - and a Congressman along with nearly 1,000 people including 276 children is NOT funny.) Dion may make some good cigars, but he went way over the line on this occasion and I, for one, will not spend any money on a business that tries to capitalize on a tragedy. It takes what happened at Jonestown lightly and uses it for marketing.
I know some younger folks may not know the story, so here it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just talked to him about this a few weeks ago.....

Some people are going to get it and others won't. His feelings on it is that he wants to be different, looking for that edgier crowd that can laugh at something like his add.

"Taste the coolaid" is what he told me. ;) He's mocking the hype that is going on, he's telling people to jump on the bandwagon and buy his cigars.

It's all in fun and yes VERY edgy. He showed me another idea he has and it will ruffle MANY feathers of people here if it goes to print.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Edgy and tasteless are too different things imho

With that being said, I hate communism but continue to seek out Cuban cigars

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently saw an Illusione ad in Cigar Press mag that featured the Rev. Jim Jones. I did some searching and found that Dion(the owner of the brand) was using the same wallpaper at IPCPR this year. You can see it just over his shoulder. I like the Illusione line but this kinda thing turns me off to the product. Am I alone in feeling this way?

The writer of the article that this pic came from summed up my feelings:

I know some younger folks may not know the story, so here it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones
Yeah, that and this interview helped me to decide not to give them my cash:

http://www.stogiefresh.com/journal/.../2007/9/6_Dion_Giolito:_Illusione_Cigars.html

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sometimes "edgy" humor is fine among close friends--it just dosen't play very well in the public arena.

My advice--drop Jim Jones and the Koolaid.

I just talked to him about this a few weeks ago.....

Some people are going to get it and others won't. His feelings on it is that he wants to be different, looking for that edgier crowd that can laugh at something like his add.

"Taste the coolaid" is what he told me. ;) He's mocking the hype that is going on, he's telling people to jump on the bandwagon and buy his cigars.

It's all in fun and yes VERY edgy. He showed me another idea he has and it will ruffle MANY feathers of people here if it goes to print.

·
Banned
320 Posts
In corporate America we all laugh at "drinking the kool-aid" and it has become a catch phrase for believing corporate BS hype. But, I wouldn't use it as my advertising hook. I get it, but it didn't set the hook to buy the product. His advertising company was better at their sell, than developing his.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sometimes "edgy" humor is fine among close friends--it just dosen't play very well in the public arena.

My advice--drop Jim Jones and the Koolaid.
I agree. For every person the 'gets it' and thinks it's edgy and funny, there will be 10 that think it's over the line.

Doesn't seem like good business sense to me.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Yeah, that and this interview helped me to decide not to give them my cash:

http://www.stogiefresh.com/journal/.../2007/9/6_Dion_Giolito:_Illusione_Cigars.html
Thanks for the link.

"DOC: As of today, you have 10 different cigars in your lineup, with unusual names like "888," "4/2g" and "cg4." Can you give us a quick summary of your cigars and some insight on what the names mean?

DION: They all relate in some aspects to conspiracy and world domination via our outer-space savior. All of the information is out there; you just have to drill for it. [Doc notes: I have been "drilling" for this information since having this interview and so far, I have broken three drill bits!]"

That gives me the willies.

·
4,434 Posts
...Some people are going to get it and others won't. His feelings on it is that he wants to be different, looking for that edgier crowd that can laugh at something like his add...
It appears from the interview referenced above that this is more than an "edgy" marketing plan. This dude is messed up.

·
La Aroma de Gorilla
1,100 Posts
I like Illusione, but perhaps he should drop Jim Jones. Not really the type of thing you want your business to associate with.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
I guess I don't get the marketing strategy.

·
Gentleman Jim Stogie
3,299 Posts
I like Illusione cigars. I am not overly offended by the jim jones reference but I can 100% understand why some would be. It could be funny I suppose but its in poor taste.

·
Cohibo Aficionado
812 Posts
I could care less about his marketing strategy or his "beliefs".

His cigars are, imo, some of the best I have smoked, very distinct.

1 - 20 of 256 Posts