Cigar Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been keeping my cigars at the good ol' 70/70 in my winador here in south Texas.

The average outside humidity down here hovers between 50% humidity in the winter and nearly 100% in the summer.

Over the past year I've had a great deal of burn issues with my cigars.

As a result of this, I have decided to switch to 65% Humidity in my humidor.

My question for you guys is, what is the ideal temperature for this humidity?

I haven't been able to find a definitive answer for this online, and I don't want to ruin my expensive collection messing around with this.

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
I enjoy my cigars at 63-65 degrees and 60-65 RH max. It’s tough in high heat and humidity. I would suggest going to 62 bovedas for RH. I have basement storage which helps a lot with temp. The old 70/70 just doesn’t make for a pleasurable smoking experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I enjoy my cigars at 63-65 degrees and 60-65 RH max. It's tough in high heat and humidity. I would suggest going to 62 bovedas for RH. I have basement storage which helps a lot with temp. The old 70/70 just doesn't make for a pleasurable smoking experience.
I completely agree. My cigars consistently go out in the last 2 inches because they are too wet. That coupled with constant relighting on $25 sticks triggered me to want to switch things around. I appreciate the response.

I'll go with 65 Rh with 65 Temp. If I still have issues I'll drop the RH and keep the Temp.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Don't sweat the temp and drop that water content down.
70/70 is a myth and way too wet, as you've discovered.

I keep my humidor at 70-72°F and 65% RH.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Do you think that the temp could have adverse effects?
No, I don't. The issue with higher temps is the possibility of beatles hatching. The shipping companies make sure any eggs have hatched by shipping my boxes in +100F temps.

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,622 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been keeping my cigars at the good ol' 70/70 in my winador here in south Texas.

The average outside humidity down here hovers between 50% humidity in the winter and nearly 100% in the summer.

Over the past year I've had a great deal of burn issues with my cigars.

As a result of this, I have decided to switch to 65% Humidity in my humidor.

My question for you guys is, what is the ideal temperature for this humidity?

I haven't been able to find a definitive answer for this online, and I don't want to ruin my expensive collection messing around with this.

Thanks in advance guys!
All depends of what origin your cigars are. Non Cubans VS Cubans Etc. Also lowering you R/H would eliminate the need for a draw poking tool. As far as temperature i store all cigars at Room temperature. That for me is the same year round 69 degrees. Best of luck with you expensive stash!:vs_cool:

Reactions: Crazydaydreamer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since originally posting this thread I placed a few of my favorite cigars, a couple Davidoff late hour and 1926 Maduro pardons, in a Tupperware with a 65 RH boveda.

I can confirm that the smoking experience was night and day.

Smoke production was perfect. I had a mouth full of smoke after an easy draw, which enhanced the flavor.
Before this, I would have to fight the stick to get wisps of smoke.

The cigar stayed lit regardless if I was smoking it or not.
Before, the cigar would go out if I didn't smoke every 45 seconds or less.

I actually got to smoke a cigar down to the nub.
Before, the cigar would go out in the last 2 inches every. single. time. and the smoke would turn bitter from the constant re-lighting.

I'm now adjusting the whole collection to 65%RH, which is 90% Maduro with only a single box of Davidoff signature series for coffee and newbie friends to smoke with me.

Thanks guys! :cb:vs_peace:

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,622 Posts
Since originally posting this thread I placed a few of my favorite cigars, a couple Davidoff late hour and 1926 Maduro pardons, in a Tupperware with a 65 RH boveda.

I can confirm that the smoking experience was night and day.

Smoke production was perfect. I had a mouth full of smoke after an easy draw, which enhanced the flavor.
Before this, I would have to fight the stick to get wisps of smoke.

The cigar stayed lit regardless if I was smoking it or not.
Before, the cigar would go out if I didn't smoke every 45 seconds or less.

I actually got to smoke a cigar down to the nub.
Before, the cigar would go out in the last 2 inches every. single. time. and the smoke would turn bitter from the constant re-lighting.

I'm now adjusting the whole collection to 65%RH, which is 90% Maduro with only a single box of Davidoff signature series for coffee and newbie friends to smoke with me.

Thanks guys! :cb:vs_peace:
The effect you think you saw or experienced is Psychosomatic.
Basically you think what you did worked so it did.
Sorta like Drug tests where placebo's are involved.
There is no way that the cigars could adjust that quickly.
It was 3 days from when you posted your thread IMPOSSIBLE!:vs_cool:

·
Super Moderator
8,286 Posts
Since originally posting this thread I placed a few of my favorite cigars, a couple Davidoff late hour and 1926 Maduro pardons, in a Tupperware with a 65 RH boveda...
It's the right move. Most people here will be supportive rather than combative. But there's always one or two...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The effect you think you saw or experienced is Psychosomatic.
Basically you think what you did worked so it did.
Sorta like Drug tests where placebo's are involved.
There is no way that the cigars could adjust that quickly.
It was 3 days from when you posted your thread IMPOSSIBLE!:vs_cool:
It was a 320 gram, but I'm not too egotistical to admit you may be right. I'm simply reporting what I experienced.

I had another one today with the same effect.

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,622 Posts
It was a 320 gram, but I'm not too egotistical to admit you may be right. I'm simply reporting what I experienced.

I had another one today with the same effect.
You are headed in the right direction stay the course.
Cigars need time to acclimate to their environment.
It will take weeks but you will be rewarded.
My answer to you was an honest answer as what to expect over time.
I do not shine people on nor take cheap shots because I have an axe to grind.
Best of luck.
GOD BLESS!:vs_cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Adjust RH to optimize smoking experience. Adjust temperature to accomodate expected storage/aging time. If you have some cigars you want to keep for 10 years set the temperature to 55 deg - for example. If they are going to be consumed within the next couple years set it to 68 deg. Moisture content of the cigar is relatively unaffected by temperature; the RH of the humidor will determine the moisture content.

Only caveat to the low temperature is you should gradually bring it up to room temperature before smoking. If you pull a 55 degree cigar out into a 85 degree and 95% RH room the wrapper will absorb moisture quickly and may cause lighting problems - at least that seems likely.

·
Smoking Volunteer
4,744 Posts
65 percent Rh will mean that your temp in Fahrenheit should be about 75.
The lower your RH is the higher your temp should be View attachment 305546
Far be it from me to disagree with Holtz, but I keep cigars at 62% humidity and 65 degrees.

It seems to work with my 3000+ cigars, some of which I’ve had for decades.

Of course your experience might differ. 65/65 is probably the norm for most collectors, but I prefer a lower relative humidity, the draw is easier.

If you’re interested in really long aging, there’s considerable discussion about air exchange. Many collectors keep their cigars in sealed bags to slow down the effects of air.

As has been mentioned by some fine BOTLs, 70/70 is really too warm and too wet. But almost all cigars are shipped that way.

I would suggest keeping a cigar in your humidor for at least a week for every day it was in shipping to allow time for acclimation.

·
Wildman
513 Posts
Do you think that the temp could have adverse effects?
No. 70% is too high for RH. 65% is where you want things. I live up in Fort Worth and run a converted beverage cooler setup at 68F. Kitty Litter works well in that setup - not suggesting for yours.

Boveda bags are the way to go. Why I mention my setup and location is because sometime in the fall Oct/Nov time frame the Kitty Litter will add moister or release moisture to keep the RH at 65% through the fall and winter. Right now weather is transitioning and every spring around May, I put the Kitty Litter in the oven to dry it out a bit. Basically, throughout the summer the Kitty Litter will remove or absorb excess moisture from the box. Most summers I will dry out the Kitty Litter twice. Then in the fall begin adding moisture from time to time with a spray bottle of distilled water.

That's what makes the Boveda bags and Kitty Litter or beads work well - they are 2-way media and will hold a pretty close tolerance of 2-3% RH once you get things normalized and right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts