Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm 27 years old and in Columbus, OH. I started smoking cigars within the last few weeks after I had one to celebrate the birth of my daughter. I liked the taste and decided to do a bit more research. Speaking of search, I'll try and look up what's already been said before so I don't ask everything again. Total newb here. :r

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Welcome to the Jungle! Just south in Louisville, let me know if you're ever down this way.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Welcome aboard.

You already are.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
You came to the right place. Welcome! :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Arleban glad to have you hangin in the jungle with us,and congrats on your little girlrilla...dont' worry about asking things that have been addressed in earlier posts...I do it all the time and they ain't run me off yet :D The fine people here are more than willing to help you at any time.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Welcome, Arleban.

Congrats on the bambina! Do yourself a favor and get a decent cigar and put it away for you to smoke for her 18th birthday. You'll be glad you did.

-Q

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was a Baccarat Rothschild. It had the lighter color of wrapping. I'm taking it that was the natural wrapper? I've tried a few different brands so far, Baccarat, Montesino, Cuesta Rey, Helix, El Rey del Muno (sp?).

So far what I've found is that I like the shorter, thicker cigars like the Rothschild or Robustos. More flavor it seems like to me. Also, I've had mainly the milder cigars as I'm a new smoker. I did notice that the Helix natural "blue band" was pretty mild, even for my taste.

My favorites so far have been the darker wrapper Baccarat Rothschild (maduro?) and a Fonseca Vintage...uh...dunno, but it was a torpedo shape. Those both pleased my palate quite well. I don't know enough about the flavor to say much else, but YUM! I'm probably going to be staying on the low end of the smokes for now, but I have checked out the 25 best under $6 already. ;)

·
Definitely not a puff fan
1,804 Posts
Arleban said:
It was a Baccarat Rothschild. It had the lighter color of wrapping. I'm taking it that was the natural wrapper? I've tried a few different brands so far, Baccarat, Montesino, Cuesta Rey, Helix, El Rey del Muno (sp?).
You might try Flor de Oliva in natural or maduro. The naturals are about a $1 a stick and the maduros are $1.50. Excellent smoke for the price, mild but flavorful.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LeafHog said:
You might try Flor de Oliva in natural or maduro. The naturals are about a $1 a stick and the maduros are $1.50. Excellent smoke for the price, mild but flavorful.
Noted and will be looking this weekend! Thanks! That's mainly been the issue so far, trying as many as possible and affording it. I have a small humidor that holds about 20-25 cigars and have about 7 so far. Due to finances and daycare, I'll probably have to be a bit of a weekend smoker, but I haven't found a better way to unwind from the week after I started with the stogies! :D

·
Registered
949 Posts
Man You all steal my thunder!!!!!

The Flor de Oliva natural and Maduro bundles are the way to go for low cost and excellent taste. The Baccarat that you had has sugar infused into the wrapper. That give it a sweet taste to it. If you like that the FdO will be a good fit. Sometime the Oliva family gets a better deal on a sweet vegetable glue and you will notice a sweet taste to the FdO bundles. The sweetness wears off real quick though.

I would also recomment Don Diego Reserva line it is a super mild cigar. Similar taste profile to a DR Cohiba at a fraction of the cost.

Now I know this is a little more expensive but worth a try if you like mild cigars. Ty the Montecristo line. Either the regular line, the white label or the Serie V. These are truely work of art cigars.

Another cigar I saw that you didn't mention that is nice and mild but with a good flavor profile is the Macanudo Robust. The regular Mac's are not that great, but the Robust is really good. Also give the Mac Gold a try another good mild cigar.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.