Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about making a trip to the liquor store pretty soon. I gotta stock up for the next month. Drinking vodka straight from the freezer is getting a bit old these days.

I've noticed a few of you list cognac as a preferred pairing with cigars. Can any of you recommend a cognac with some great flavor and a great price?

What's all this about armagnac too?

TIA
-E

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can anyone help me out with a suggestion or two? I've had two whole glasses of cognac in my life. That was 5 years ago too. I really liked one (Hennessy XO, I think) and I really didn't like the other (Remy Martin VSOP, I think). I'm looking to branch out a bit from my normal selection.

Thanks,
E

·
Registered
290 Posts
I always like rum with my cigars. Both are ISOM, so it makes a good match.

They usually bring out the flavor in each other.

Stock up, kick back and smoke out!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Eichen,

I bought a new cognac over Christmas called Hine. It is relatively inexpensive for cognac and is definitely one of the best I have had. That being said my favorite drink with a cigar is 18 year old McCallen Scotch or black label Jack Daniels.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lvp -- one of my favorite cigar/beverage pairings is a rum and coke. It's never failed to satisfy.

David -- thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, cashcow.

I've got a general liquor question: how long can you leave spirits open in a decanter without losing something in flavor or aroma? Is this even a concern?

I keep port in a decanter for a month before I eventually drain it. It doesn't seem to make too big a difference, in fact I prefer it after being in the decanter for a couple of days. But I've heard that you don't want to leave it in there too long. Anyone know more about this? Is there a difference when the decanter holds hard alcohol rather than wine?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
For a less expensive cognac, try Delamain XO Pale and Dry; it's comparible to $100+ bottles from the other commonly known brands. They don't make anything younger than an XO. They come in at a lower price point since they don't have the super fancy packaging and don't advertise.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fantastic!

cashcow: Thanks for the information. I wasn't sure if decanters were good long term storage.

poker: That's a great site. Now I gotta find out how much it'll cost to ship.

Brandon: Good tip! I'm always looking for value.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Hey!!

Hey,

I know the Hi-Time Wine Cellar/Smoke Shack. One of the first cigar shops I bought from when I got into smoking (& was still living in So Cal). Small World!!

MoTheMan

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
decanter

David: Interesting. Mine are just plain glass from what I remember.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has anybody tried the Cohiba Cognac? Just curious?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Delamain is a GREAT cognac. If you are going to go as far as Delamain, try catching Fontpinot if you can get it within $20 of Delamain. I had it years ago (before I gave up cognac for bourbon) and I really enjoyed it. Also, it was $25 a bottle then!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Updated 29 Jan 06

I've finally located some Delamain Pale and Dry XO the other day at a bar.

This stuff is really good but it's also really delicate.

What'd I get from it?

citrusy/apricot, (I'm not good with pinning flavors down in beverages so...) "grape-like" (kind of reminds me a bit of vermouth--it's made from Champagne AFAIK), wood/tannin. Finish goes on forever. It's very smooth, very approachable and very nice neat in a snifter.

Is that what you Delamain drinkers find?

-E

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.