Cigar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bull Goose Gorilla
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a few weeks of eating, drinking and smoking my away accross Eastern Canada. Most days went like this. Sleep until 9:00 then a lazy long breakfast followed by sitting in a lounge chair reading and smoking until about 1:00 or 1:30 then a 2 hour lunch with several beers, by then it was martini time so it was sitting in the whirlpool sipping martinis and smoking followed by a 3 hour multi course dinner with wine then ending up in the hotel bar until closing smoking and drinking single malt or port. I brought my own cigars, but picked up 2 Siglo VI's at Blatter & Blatter in Montreal. ($75.00 Canadian each). They are great smokes. I will also take this opportunity to promote my friends at Blatter & Blatter. I have been going there since the early 90's and it is a very friendly and comfortable shop on JFK Boulevard. I hung out there a few afternoons and got to meet a bunch of the local guys who were very nice. A good old fashioned shop without any arrogance or hype. Highly recommended! Peter Blatter is the owner and a great guy. I would also make mention of Moshe's Steakhouse, the best steak I have ever had anywhere and Schwartz's Deli for it's smoked meat. All in all a very relaxing and enjoyable vacation.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Steve,

Good to hear from you. Sounds like a great vacation!

Just out of curiosity... how many cigars did you take on your trip.... and how many did you smoke? :<)

On a 3 week trip to Japan a few years ago, my wife chastised me for taking so many cigars. (About 4 boxes I think.) By the time we got home, I had less than a box. LOL There are too many good opportunities to smoke cigars on vacation.

If you are willing, tell us about some of your "cigar moments" while on vacation. I, for one, would certainly enjoy hearing them.

... rjs

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
welcome back steve- montreal is a great place and your story reminded me of a great story about my wife. we have close friends in montreal- we met in graduate school (1977 - ancient history) and we still see each other often. my friend, samy, got married while we were in grad school and my wife and i flew up there with him for his wedding. one of the things samy introduced us to was, of course, montreal smoked meat... we went to a small deli where you had to order at the counter. my wife wanted her sandwich on WHITE bread with MAYONNAISE!!! i told her there is NO way i will order this for her and said she would have to come up to the counter with me and order this herself. when she placed her order the guy working the counter threw up his hands and refused to put mayonnaise on the meat... i mean, his was truly disgusted. we finally worked out a deal where he would give us a side of mayonnaise and she could put it on herself. i never let her live this event down, and tell this story whenever i can... like now! rotflmao!

·
Bull Goose Gorilla
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Rob (rjs), I brought 25 cigars with me and bought another 1/2 dozen or so from local shops. I did not bring any back. Everything I brought I wanted to smoke as they were all rare or vintage cigars. I did not want even a remote chance of getting them confiscated at the border. Losing an aged Davidoff or Dunhill to customs would really be a drag. In terms of "cigar moments" there were quite a few. A particularly good one was sitting on the balcony of my hotel room in Montreal on the 21st floor over looking the city at night. My wife had gone to sleep and I was alone with some Highland Park 18 year old and a Monte #2 from 85. The city was glittering and dancing with lights. The night air was cool and breezy. Very peaceful. I found myself wishing that my glass was bigger and the Monte a DC as I did not want the experience to end. At the other end of the spectrum I was at the Manoir Hovey in North Hatley in the Eastern Townships of Quebec sitting in the loveliest garden that I had ever seen. Giant Hollyhocks, roses, and dozens of flowers that I dont't even know. Stretched out in a big old wooden lounge chair reading about the discoveries of Capt. Cook on his 3 voyages and smoking a Punch DC from 95. It was late morning and the sun kept going in and out so it would get grey and then sunny hot. The cigar lasted almost 2 hours and a tuxedo clad waiter would come accross the brilliantly green lawn and bring me another La Maudite beer with a slight bow and an "enjoy your beer sir". As a side note I had stayed at the Manoir Hovey before and they have a top notch dining room and wine cellar. I remembered that the Maitre D' was a cigar smoker, in fact he carried a cutter on a chain at his belt and was quick to offer a cut or light. Our first night there I gifted him with a Davidoff #1 from 1989 which ensured the best table and excellent service for the ensuing 5 nights. Not to sound like too much of a snob I also thoroughly enjoyed smoking at a truck stop motel in Burlington, VT. watching the big rigs roll in. Of course the cigar was a Dunhill Don Candido.

·
Registered
364 Posts
sgoselin said:
Our first night there I gifted him with a Davidoff #1 from 1989 which ensured the best table and excellent service for the ensuing 5 nights.
I imagine it would! That would get you the best seat at MY dinner table for sure.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Steve,

Great memories! Thanks for sharing.

I have a little experience in Quebec myself. 6 weeks after I was married, my wife and I moved to Quebec City for 3 months as "house sitters". The 100 year old house we watched was 1 block from the plains of Abraham... too bad I was not a cigar smoker at that time. The city is both beautiful and interesting.

I haven't been back to Quebec since (25 years), but if I do go, will certainly try Manoir Hovey. Thanks again for sharing your experiences with us.

... rjs

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Stories

Mmm! I can smell that distinctive Havana aroma right now.

Hey, it's Friday night and time to light one up.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
323 Posts
All of your vacations sound the same. Smoke about a box worth of vintage cigars, have wonderful meals and enjoy some fine adult beverages. Don't you ever get tired of the same old thing time and time again? :r Welcome back! Glad to hear that you remained in your old 'rut' ;).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Damn man, if you were right in Burlington you should have let me know. I go up there almost every day. It's only 25 minutes from my house.

·
Registered
271 Posts
rjs said:
... too bad I was not a cigar smoker at that time. The city is both beautiful and interesting...
Not a cigar smoker! ... I'm appauled :r

Ryan

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome back Steve! Sounds like another great trip. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts