Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my ccolerdor I have two digital hygros both calibrated in a boveda calibration kit (within a point of each other) the problem is is when they are in the coolerdor they show a 9 point diff. so I don't know which to trust like I said in the calibration kit one reads 75% the other is adjustable but I cant seem to get it closer than 1 point either way. The adjustable is the round one from heartfelt and the other is from springfield.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
How long did you calibrate them? I know it is a pain, but you have to go at least 36 hours. I have no patience and this killed me, but I have been good ever since.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont worry about what the numbers say if it's 75 its 75...just watch for the number to drop on the hygro ,,,,so if it goes to "42" or whatever from "44" than its 73...ect...
I realize the numbers don't need to be spot on but the problem is in the calibration kit after 36 hours both read 74 or 75% but in the cooler with my beads they are about 9% away from each other so at least one must not be accurately changing. basically one drops 15 % or so and the other about 6% ao while I don't mind if I am off a couple of points I could be off by as much as nine which in my opinion is too much.

·
PSHC and lovin' it
2,202 Posts
I realize the numbers don't need to be spot on but the problem is in the calibration kit after 36 hours both read 74 or 75% but in the cooler with my beads they are about 9% away from each other so at least one must not be accurately changing. basically one drops 15 % or so and the other about 6% ao while I don't mind if I am off a couple of points I could be off by as much as nine which in my opinion is too much.
I have a radio shack hygro that updates very quickly (maybe every 10 seconds) and a Western Caliber III that updates a bit more slowly (maybe once every 30 seconds). I've noticed through the glass door of my wine cooler that the radio shack model fluctuates more because of the 'refresh rate'.

In other words, I can open the door on my cooler and see the radio shack model shift right away, whereas the Caliber III will stay spot on unless I leave the door open for a bit.

In a salt test, over a long period of time, both will be identical because the RH in the bag doesn't change.

Could this be what is going on with your hygrometers? Since they're not both adjustable, I'm guessing that may be possible.

Also, don't forget that humid air rises. If your humidor is tall, that could explain differences (albeit not likely 9% difference, it surely could explain 2-3%)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.