Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently testing my digitals against a Humidipak. If I find that it is say 3% under do I always add 3% to its reading or do I make a note of +/- 3%?

For example:
If the RH is actually 65% and I find my digital was 3% under against the humidipak could it read 62%-68%

·
Registered
269 Posts
jlambert said:
I am currently testing my digitals against a Humidipak. If I find that it is say 3% under do I always add 3% to its reading or do I make a note of +/- 3%?

For example:
If the RH is actually 65% and I find my digital was 3% under against the humidipak could it read 62%-68%
while most hygrometers are not accurate, they are usually fairly consistant. do 3 48 hour tests with the Humidipak. If all 3 tests have a -3 result, then you know to add 3 pts to your reading.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Saw that too, about not testing digitals. Didn't see any supporting data for it, though.

And what RonC said; if you get a low reading after your test, add that amount to the reading you get when your hygrometer is in your humidor. If it's high, subtract that amount. If it's the same...you're REALLY lucky!

Scott"stilluseshisfingers"M

·
Registered
978 Posts
MiamiE said:
ive always heard digitals do not and should not be tested.
I think the concern here is not with testing them per se. I mean, what, the instrument doesn't like, "know" it is being tested and then refuse to work. Seriously, think about it.

The concern is that if you are testing with the salt test that you do not get any of the salt solution on your hygrometer as it is pretty corrosive.

----
as to the first question, the response of your hygrometer is essentially linear within the range you will be keeping your cigars. So as stated already, if you are low by 3%, it will always be reading 3% low. Ex: under salt test conditions (75% RH) your instrument reads 72%. In a 65% environment it will read 62%.

_____
rm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx for the replies...

First one is done and read 68% after 15hrs. It's been reading 63% in my humi with 65% beads so makes sense. Now I just have to see what the other reads after the humidipak since it has been reading 69% in the humi. So far it's been in there for 20mins and reads 70%.

I'll do it all over again for 48hrs instead of 15hrs after the second one is done to make sure.

·
Registered
269 Posts
some hygro companies ask that you do not do a salt test for fear of damaging the hygro. This is absolute nonsense. there are many high end hygrometers that come with salt test kits to check accuracy. in my opinion, these hygro sellers do not want you to check the accuracy claims of thier hygrometers.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have two digital hygrometers and I tested both of them. One is spot on and the other is off by 4%. I would definitely recommend testing them just to know how they read, but I would do a salt test and not against a humi pack. I think that's not going to be accurate enough. Do the salt test, even digital hygrometers can be off.

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
I dropped a half pound of 65% beads in my Tupperdor and within 2 days it was sitting at 66% and hasn't moved a point from there since. I am assuming that the digital is 1 point off which I could care less.

By the way I bought my beads at Bargain Humidors and I love the product and I love the service:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.