Cigar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently his suicide was premeditated and he wasnt depressed. His health was on the decline and he didnt want to die slowly. He wishes to be cremated and his ashes shot from a cannon. That old gun nut!! Frank B

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
You gotta give a guy like this a lot of credit. Even though we may not agree with his lifestyle, he led his life according to his own code. He most definitely was his own person and left in a way of his chosing.

I've read a couple of his books and enjoyed them.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I am a huge Hunter S. Thompson fan. I think he is a brilliant and infuriating writer who really made a lasting impact in both journalism and pop culture. He was a remarkable dude and somebody whose work was always entertaining, thought provoking and a little bit disconcerting.

I was shocked when I heard the news but I have to say that now, in hindsight, it's not too surprising. He wasn't someone I would have predicted would die peacefully in his sleep. I'm still saddened by the loss, but he did live and die his own way.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Personally, I think i would have been depressed to see such an unbelievable character fade gently into the night. HST lived and died by his own rules, calling everything as he saw it, middle-grounders-be-damned-and-dismembered. I will always salute him for daring to be absolutely unique and steadfast through everything (flower power, political correctness, the reagan era, and generation swinex) - whether I agree or not (some of both) is completely immaterial.

I will not miss the man's legacy. It has nowhere to go. I will smoke a cigar and eat a grapefruit with a hunting knife as my own tribute.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
slowhand said:
Looks to me that he was a chickensh*t and took the coward's way out.
Dunno.... I've seen people with alzheimers and other chronic diseases that can barely feed themselves and who have to wear diapers. If I saw that coming, I wouldn't want to hang around for the ride.

Me, I'd probably try to climb K2 rather than shoot myself if I wanted to check out early. End result is the same, but the view is better on K2.

·
LineWalker
213 Posts
I have to agree that this is not much of a surprise. This guy did things on his terms his entire life. Why would his death be any different? He did a lot for modern journalism and his books are fabulous. See ya Hunter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.