Cigar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off I’d like to say, I try to read through previous post and comments before I post something that would be a repetitive NEWBIE post…. With that being said….

After years of going by the cigar shop to grab cigars for the special occasions or to grab some every now and then for pure enjoyment, I hit up the ole interwebs and sprung for a variety pack and my very first humidor (CHEAP $35 glass top).

Two weeks in and I seem to have that humidor in good shape, as it’s siting pretty at a cool and constant 64% RH with cigar in it (mostly from the variety pack).

In my time of seasoning this new/first humidor, I’ve been checking out a few of the cigars from the variety pack, as well as picking up and smoking some of the ones that I’ve tried/remembered liking in the past (I have to admit… I LOVE THE JAVA darks/lattes/reds…. The mints can SUCK IT). I’ve also been looking at getting another humidor because I’d like to keep those mentioned that I like on hand constantly and have about 20 of each (that’s 60 total).

The plan is to get another humidor so that I can keep 20 of each (Jave Latte/Red/on hand to grab just any damn time I want.
And keep this little 50 count for future variety packs while I hunt for what I like.

(^^^ there’s all the info…. Now here’s the question(S).

You more experienced folks out there. What are your thoughts on QUALITY vs. PRICE?
1) Is a man getting a better product if he’s spending more money on the humidor?

2) Are NONE glass tops better?

3) is there such a thing as a humidor with and actual bull-in hygrometer (preferably digital) that works? Or am I better off without the “prettiness” of the built in
(^^^ I’ve turned wrenches for years on cars with my dad… an oil pressure gauge that doesn’t work HURTS MY HEAD!!! And so will a faulty hygrometer!!!)

I’m shooting for a 100/150 ct humidor and keeping the one I just got thats a 50 ct. I just don’t want to waste time or money on trash!!!

Thoughts from experience, advice from experience are welcome!!! Thank you in advance!!!

· Retired Chaos Designer
14,718 Posts
Unless you spend the money on a good quality Humidor the odds of getting one that actually works as a humidor are slim at best. The main difference is in the materials with the cheap humidors your getting an MDF box with a very thin veneer of Spanish cedar that’s just cosmetic, with the glass tops the factory seals are not very reliable and often fail. Also the bottom panel on these boxes are thin, I’ve seen some that were only 1/16 thick.
All that being said it is possible to get a cheap humidor that works you just have to be lucky!

· Registered
7,486 Posts
Can i make a suggestion?-
Keep your Glass top humidor and use it as a dry box, that is put the cigars your going to use for the next few days in it.
For your main storage use Tupadores, there are some links on here to the systema boxes which fit 2 nice cedar trays (also in the links) and you wont have to mess with them, great seal.
I think someone posted the link not so long ago, just keep them in a cool dark place like the bottom of a closet. ill look for the link and post it for you if i find it
Here are the trays

· Minister of Propaganda
1,637 Posts
High price does not guarantee a good quality humidor, but good quality wood humidors are not inexpensive.

I had a glass top Amazon special that worked well enough for a while. It was poor quality, thin wood and fake wood. It did the job for a while and then one day just stopped holding a steady RH.

I now have a homemade wooden cabinet humidor that I like and it works very well in my climate. But the best humidor I’ve ever used was a knock-off Yeti cooler that I used for a while. Not as visually appealing as wood humidors, but the perfect seal of rotomold coolers and tupperware simply can’t be replicated in wood at any price point. And in the bang-for-buck metrics, you’ll be hard pressed to find something better.

If you want to look at a premium quality wooden humidor, Waxing Moon does excellent work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m probably going to do the tuppador like Fusion suggested for now. This cheap one seems to be doing ok. Not sure how long it’ll last.
I’ve wanted a nice wooden humidor for years and will more than likely man up and spend some money to get something decent that’ll last. WOOD/No GLASS/No CRAPPY ascetically pleasing NO FUNCTIONING hygrometer.

there are several cigar shops in my area. Unfortunately I’ve been snobbed by Dudley Do Right pricks that kinda shun newbies (horrible business model!) THANK GOD FOR THIS FORUM!! And folks like ya’ll (especially Fusion who has chimed in with info/advice every time I’ve asked a question)

I finally found a place locally that seemed happy to answer questions about the culture and tools of the culture. Went by after a couple of phone conversations. The guy said “your Roger, right?” when I walked in and said “I think I spoke to you on the phone earlier” I think I’ll be in good hands trusting their advice on a good one in the $200-250-ish range.

again, THANKS for the help and advice. CHEERS!!

· Minister of Propaganda
1,637 Posts
Thank you for that information Wheels Up!

curious what your home made one looks like.

Just a fun project I did a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
22 Posts
Good questions. I’ve been collecting high end cigar humidors and accessories for over 20 years, so I’ll try to address each one based on what I know.

1. In general, yes, you get what you pay for when it comes to humidors. However, there are some intermediately priced brands such as Daniel Marshall, Michael Dixon, and Prometheus that produce humidors that function every bit as well as those made by ‘The Big Five’, which include ST Dupont, Elie Bleu, Davidoff, Dunhill, and Perrenoud. There are other comparatively lower cost, high quality brands out there, too: Waxing Moon, another mid-range brand, has been steadily gaining clientele for years. Desk top humidors by Bocephus Design (Canada), Savinelli, Mastro de Paja, and Agresti (Italy), and Humidif (Spain) are other options.

2. Avoid glass top humidors. Yes, there are a couple of more expensive, higher end models out there with glass tops (Elie Bleu, Agresti, or an older Diamond Crown), but most glass tops or glass front mini cabinets are cheap imports. There’s a reason the best humidors made by the best manufacturers largely avoid using glass. You’re just asking for humidity leakage.

3. The same goes for externally mounted or ‘built in’ hygrometers; you won‘t see this in better humidors. Why? For one thing, the hygrometers are usually cheap and not dependable. Also, you’re again just begging for humidity leakage. And what happens if you want or need to replace the hygrometer in 10 years, but it’s no longer made?

You don’t necessarily need to sacrifice quality if you’re looking to spend less. Daniel Marshall is always running specials on his site. If you do your homework and learn your humidors and your prices, you might also be able to find a great deal on an online auction site. You often just need to be patient and to not get sucked into bidding wars.

Some aficionados go the Tupperware route, and that’s cool, too. The cigar hobby in all its facets is about choice and personal preference. Personally, I just happen to dig high quality humidors; I like the way they display, I like maintaining them, and I appreciate the fine craftsmanship that goes in to their creation.

· Registered
728 Posts
Just to add a little. On the Daniel Marshall site if you sign up for the “campfire” club you get a cutter lighter 5 pack of his red banded cigar and a few other things. The best part is the o join the club it’s like $50 but you also get the opportunity to purchase any of his signature series humis for 50% off. It’s a one time deal. But it drops his classic treasure chest style humi from $1500 to $750

· Registered
24 Posts
I have to play "devil's advocate" here. There are always exceptions to the rule. By all means, NEVER buy a glass topped box of "Cohibas". But when it comes to glass topped humidors there are quality units with glass tops. I happen to have a couple. They are Cigar Aficionado 100 desktop units, made by Elie Bleu, and they are definitely high quality and high performance units. Now the Chinese made Abbey glass top units are not terrible, but they are definitely a step or two down, quality wise. From the screws, to the clasps, to the cheap veneer, to the seal, they are of lower quality than the EB products. My gripe with the CA units is that they look "cheap" BECAUSE of the glass top. But they aren't. I swear. That said, I'm getting rid of them. I find glass top to be "show off" type stuff. Solid top is just classier. Imho. Now the Lamborghini humidor, THERE'S a super high end, super classy box😂😂😂😂

· Registered
22 Posts
I have to play "devil's advocate" here. There are always exceptions to the rule. By all means, NEVER buy a glass topped box of "Cohibas". But when it comes to glass topped humidors there are quality units with glass tops. I happen to have a couple. They are Cigar Aficionado 100 desktop units, made by Elie Bleu, and they are definitely high quality and high performance units. Now the Chinese made Abbey glass top units are not terrible, but they are definitely a step or two down, quality wise. From the screws, to the clasps, to the cheap veneer, to the seal, they are of lower quality than the EB products. My gripe with the CA units is that they look "cheap" BECAUSE of the glass top. But they aren't. I swear. That said, I'm getting rid of them. I find glass top to be "show off" type stuff. Solid top is just classier. Imho. Now the Lamborghini humidor, THERE'S a super high end, super classy box😂😂😂😂
Sure, and I specifically noted that glass tops/fronts by Elie Bleu are an exception. I’m not aware of a Cigar Aficionado humidor made by Elie Bleu. Would love to see that.

The Lamborghini humidor is a bit flashy for me. Not bad quality, but I’d prefer something by the top 5-6 manufacturers. I do like the Porsche Design carbon fiber model, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts