Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did the salt test for my hygrometer and it's rockin' steady at 74-75%. That's great. My humidor before I just did the test is 63% That sucks. Couple of questions on what to do?

1. I soaked the humidifier in distilled water and held it upside down after that till it stopped dripping. That was around last week, so it shouldn't be a dry issue there. Was that the proper way to do it?

2. The 50/50 solution. If that is the proper way to use the humidifier then I'm worried. Would using the propylene glycol ( I think) help get that % up or is the 63% too low for that to help?

3. If it is too low, and my humidor is a piece o' garbage...any instructions on making a tupperdor? :) I did a search on coolerdor and didn't find a whole lot here, but I haven't googled yet. So this might be a useless question.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
1 Did the humidifier have PEG in it, if not then fill with 50/50 solution insted of water

2If you have a new humidor, then the wood will soak up water until it too acts as a vapor source

3Check for leakage of light by putting a flashlight in your humidor, seal up the leaks with something. I used a strip of laminate between the hinges for my leak.

Want to make a tupperdor, do a search on this board, I think I remember a thread.

Go to JR cigars (jrcigars.com maybe) and look at Steve Saka's humidor FAQ's ;)

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
It's easy to make a plastidor, coolerdor, tupperdor whatever. You will need propylene glycol, distilled water, spongue or foam block, a container with holes in the top to make a humidifier (my wife buys those air freshener gels in the little jars {wonder why!} with the lids that have holes in them & I get them after the gel dries up & wash em real good & put spongue chunks & 50/50 in em....they work very well) & a large plastic container or igloo type cooler. If you are putting singles in you will probably need some cedar blocks.

Just remember that too good of a seal & you can overhumidify, plus you will need to let it breath every coupla weeks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kansashat said:
It's easy to make a plastidor, coolerdor, tupperdor whatever. You will need propylene glycol, distilled water, spongue or foam block, a container with holes in the top to make a humidifier (my wife buys those air freshener gels in the little jars {wonder why!} with the lids that have holes in them & I get them after the gel dries up & wash em real good & put spongue chunks & 50/50 in em....they work very well) & a large plastic container or igloo type cooler. If you are putting singles in you will probably need some cedar blocks.

Just remember that too good of a seal & you can overhumidify, plus you will need to let it breath every coupla weeks.
In your experience, what containers have too good of a seal? also for the chunks/foam, do you just get the pieces damp or have a little solution extra in there? Like damp or wet, I guess I mean?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Arleban, once again, not an expert by any stretch, especially in humidor issues, but 74-75% might be a little high. I think the more experienced apes err to 66-70% as an ideal. I think the logic is that overly humidified cigars cause them to swell, creating issues with burn and wrappers splitting. I know my humidor stays at 68-69% and seems to keep my cigars in great shape. Frank B

·
Definitely not a puff fan
1,804 Posts
FrankB,

I think he's saying the hyrgometer calibrated to 74-75% as it should with a saturated salt solution. His problem is that he can't get the actual RH of his humi up to 68%.

I'm with txmatt on this, climmax is the way to go. Definitely do as galaga suggests and check for leaks with a flashlight. If your humidor doesn't seal properly you'll never be able to maintain humidity.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LeafHog said:
FrankB,

I think he's saying the hyrgometer calibrated to 74-75% as it should with a saturated salt solution. His problem is that he can't get the actual RH of his humi up to 68%.

I'm with txmatt on this, climmax is the way to go. Definitely do as galaga suggests and check for leaks with a flashlight. If your humidor doesn't seal properly you'll never be able to maintain humidity.
You are correct. The test is 75% and it my humidor it registers 63%. I would like to try the climaxx beads, but they might take up too much space. I only bought a, uh...um..15 ct. humidor. :c Yeah, I realized that's a bit small now. That's why I've been asking about a tupperdor. I figure if I can get my issue solved with this humidor I can at least keep it for my "will be smoking soon" pile. It's pretty small, so I might have to buy a mini flashlight to test out the tightness of it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
In a humidor that small a Drymistat Tube will work fine. But Txmatt is right the Climax beads are the way to go for larger Humidors. For a tuperdor. I would get a relatively large tuperware container. Put a dish of climax beads in and get some spanish cedar and line the tuperdor then put in your stogies.

·
Registered
419 Posts
:D
LeafHog said:
FrankB,

Hey Leafhog, thanks for the education. Actually have the salt test instructions to try to correct a humidor I couldn't maintain adequate humidity in. Never used it, gave the humidor away and bought another humidor and a digital hygrometer and decided not to be so anal. Workin' for me so far.The anal comment was not intended to be inflammatory, I worried my ass off when I bought my first humidor trying to get it right and I finally decided if my cigars were smoking okay and living in the humidor okay then everything was good!! Frank B

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
I may have to try the cimmax beads......sounds like they take a lot of the worry out of the process.
A good tight seal isn't necessarily bad, but you will need to let it breath from time to time.
I've got a Rubbermaid 72 qt that tends to want to run high as it must seal very well. The coolerdors will generally have a very good seal.
One thing I've noticed......if you have lots of cigars in the humidor, they will tend to help humidify themselves so you might need less media.
Again, the climmax beads may eliminate the flux.
The only time that higher humidity is a structural threat to your cigars is when they are a bit dry. They will swell & crack then. If your cigars are well taken care of & they are exposed to higher humidity, I don't believe they are damaged beyond repair. They will become spongy. The higher humidity level will make them burn hotter which will effect the flavor. A couple of weeks at proper humidity & they will return to the proper level with no ill effect.
BTW, I'm no expert either.....JMHO.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FrankB said:
:D
Hey Leafhog, thanks for the education. Actually have the salt test instructions to try to correct a humidor I couldn't maintain adequate humidity in. Never used it, gave the humidor away and bought another humidor and a digital hygrometer and decided not to be so anal. Workin' for me so far.The anal comment was not intended to be inflammatory, I worried my ass off when I bought my first humidor trying to get it right and I finally decided if my cigars were smoking okay and living in the humidor okay then everything was good!! Frank B
I totally agree with you. The only reason that I'm worried is that my cigars seem a bit dry. They aren't as squishy (not that they were before) and the bands can almost slip off the end without undoing them. :(

·
Registered
949 Posts
When i had such a small humidor I used a shot glass filled half wa with distilled water. This ususally would bring m humidity up in the humidor.

Also You didn't say whether or not you wiped the humidor down with distilled water or not.

If not take you cigars out. Put them in a ziplock bag with a drymistat tube.

Take your humidor and wet a sponge with distiled water and simple damped the whole inside of the humidor. Then close the lid overnight check the humidity. It will probably be high. Close the lid for another night and check again. If still high leave the lid open until it the desired humidity then close overnight again and check it. if ok put you cigars back in. If not repeat the open lid thin again. Remember a humidor can take anywhere from a week to a month to establish a proper humidity be patient...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:r yeah, I figured that is what I should do. I finally found the Steve Saka humidor reference someone mentioned and I read about that. It might just be nothing to worry about, I just thought that they seemed dry. They do taste ok though, so... :) I did wipe down the humidor with distilled water first, but it wasn't very much as I wasn't sure how damp it should be as I wiped. I might try it again.

·
Test Subject
2,651 Posts
kansashat said:
One thing I've noticed......if you have lots of cigars in the humidor, they will tend to help humidify themselves so you might need less media.
QUOTE]
Good point,,when I put in fresh cigars my humidity goes up right away.(and stays up for a good long time).Also during the summer I don't put any device in my humidor and the humidity stays right at 70%..Only during the winter do I actually work at keeping the humidity up...

Jerry in Minnesota

·
Registered
949 Posts
C2000

Same here In the Summer I am good. I don't have any trouble but the winter forget about it. Every 2 weeks it seems as though I am recharging my humidifiers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.