Cigar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i found this beautiful humidor in a goodwill for 29 bucks. wiped the inside down with distilled water, filled the sponges with new solution, there is 5 of them top and bottom. cant get the humidity up beyond 40, thought it was the hydrometer, still about the same. thought it might be a leak around the glass, sealed around the glass top and bottom. came up a little bit, days later, put in a boveda pack, few days after that.. same.. no idea what is up with this thing.
20210328_160427.jpg

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
So i found this beautiful humidor in a goodwill for 29 bucks. wiped the inside down with distilled water, filled the sponges with new solution, there is 5 of them top and bottom. cant get the humidity up beyond 40, thought it was the hydrometer, still about the same. thought it might be a leak around the glass, sealed around the glass top and bottom. came up a little bit, days later, put in a boveda pack, few days after that.. same.. no idea what is up with this thing.
View attachment 305504
Are you using the hydrometer that is there or a digital one? I suggest buying a digital one calibrating it and then testing the humidity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,709 Posts
Put some wet sponges in bowls of DW. check the rh in a few WEEKS. Unless the bowls go dry. DON'T OPEN IT.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,709 Posts
Also the only time you wanna wipe down a box is to get the sawdust off. Never apply water directly to the wood.

·
Super Moderator
16,709 Posts
cool man, hopefully this does the trick.
Give it a knock on the bottom. If it sounds hollow, it's a thin veneer of SC. You'll wanna line it with some box separators(your b&m will have extras, if you don't). It'll keep moisture from leaking out the bottom. If it's solid and you didn't warp anything when you wiped it down. You should be gravy.

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,632 Posts
Give it a few weeks.
Worst case scenario is you will end up with a really nice box for your lighters, cutters, and accessories.
This!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dang, the humidity is already 56 degrees. with the bowl of water and 2 sponges. should i line the bottom with felt? it is kind of hollow.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I bought some ASI food safe silicon and made a solid seal around the glass and every joint of my glass top. It took care of my leaks but like everybody else says, seasoning takes some time so be patient and let that wood soak up the moisture slowly.

·
Super Moderator
16,709 Posts
I recommend Spanish cedar. The separators that come in boxes of cigars are best. Felt is asking for mold

Reactions: Dual-500

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Most cigar shops will give you strips of Spanish Cedar. I sold my Daniel Marshal wood and only have a 20 yesr old Thompson that was gifted me it’s perfect. Coolers and tupperdors are my new best friends.

·
Wildman
513 Posts
I've never had decent results with sponge type moisture elements. Beads and Boveda bags work well in table top setups. I just put one together and gifted a friend. Not sure what all the glass will do, his box didn't have any glass in it - took about 2 weeks to normalize with a couple of Boveda 320's on the bottom and the bead filled elements under the lid.

Be sure and keep that rascal away from HVAC direct blowing air, windows, sunlight, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts