Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get my humidity down in my 50ct humidor,and I'm not being very successful. Trying to get my humidity around 72%. Any good suggestions on how to regulate this?

·
Wildman
531 Posts
72% is too high. Cigars won't burn correctly and will taste acidic. 65% give or take is where you want to store them at.

Get a decent digital hygrometer similar to this: https://buythermopro.com/product/th...term=4587506113655534&utm_content=Ad group #1

That is a remote monitoring type which is really the best so you won't need to open it up to check RH.

Boveda bags (get the largest): Boveda Humidor Bags 65% is a good starting point or 69% if you think your box may not seal well. These are two-way bags so unless completely saturated they will absorb excess moisture.

Get Boveda 75% calibration kit for your hygrometer: Boveda One-Step Hygrometer Calibration Kit

Calibrate hygrometer overnight in a stable room temperature, good to just put it in the humidor for calibration.

Place the Boveda bag and sensor in your box.

Call me in the morning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
72% is too high. Cigars won't burn correctly and will taste acidic. 65% give or take is where you want to store them at.

Get a decent digital hygrometer similar to this: https://buythermopro.com/product/thermopro-tp63-hygrometer-thermometer-humidity-gauge/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Smart Shopping - CBD&utm_term=4587506113655534&utm_content=Ad group #1

That is a remote monitoring type which is really the best so you won't need to open it up to check RH.

Boveda bags (get the largest): Boveda Humidor Bags 65% is a good starting point or 69% if you think your box may not seal well. These are two-way bags so unless completely saturated they will absorb excess moisture.

Get Boveda 75% calibration kit for your hygrometer: Boveda One-Step Hygrometer Calibration Kit

Calibrate hygrometer overnight in a stable room temperature, good to just put it in the humidor for calibration.

Place the Boveda bag and sensor in your box.

Call me in the morning.
Appreciate the info but let me pick your brain. My humidor has a good seal, so from your experience what is best way to season a humidor?

·
Wildman
531 Posts
Put a large 75% Boveda bag in it for a week or two. Meanwhile, put your cigars in a tupperware container or zip lock bag with 65% Boveda while you season it it. The slow way is probably the best for seasoning. Depending upon the condition of the humidor in terms of moisture content it may take two weeks or more. May only take a couple of days to normalize if the moisture content is close already.

That's what the hygrometer is for - to monitor.

If you really want first class use a data logger, which is how my setup works.

I've seasoned many humidors, many different ways and helped friends with theirs - Boveda bags are the simplest, easiest way to get the results you want. In the Wineador pictured in my profile, I use silica sand (kitty litter) for the moisture media. However, the box sitting on top of the humidor has been in there seasoning since October 2016 and is inside a large zip lock bag with a 65% Boveda pack in it. For aging or seasoning in my setup I use Boveda packs.

As well for travel with the small travel humidors I use Boveda packs.

Use the large Boveda packs, can't go too big and they will last longer and ultimately work better. There is 4lbs of silica sand in the bottom of the Wineador and it works very well.

·
Wildman
531 Posts
Yeah, the data loggers are the way to go. Not only can you get a glimpse of RH at any given time without opening the box. They give you trends and that's really nice if in an area like where I live in Fort Worth, Texas. My setup from roughly March - October will increase in RH, so the silica sand absorbs moisture. From oct/nov through March the silica sand releases moisture to raise the RH during the cooler months.

Normally around apr/may I will dry out the silica sand in the over and once more july/august. I noticed recently the trend is heading down by about 0.1% RH per week. When it goes below 64% I'll spray the sand containers with distilled water.

When I first setup the Wineador I used a Hydra electronic humidifier that only adds moisture and quickly found out that's not a good solution for this area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts