Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve seen a lot of post recently about installing fans in different humi’s and have been asked, after posting a picture of one I installed in my own humi….”How did you do that?” Well tonight I put together another one for a customer of mine who is also a fellow BOTL. He also has an Antietam and was having humidity issues. Seems he was seeing a big difference in the RH level from the top to the bottom. So I offered to install a fan for him. I thought this might be a good time to show everybody how this is done, and in pictures too……have you come to expect anything less. So if your interested follow along……

First picture is of the required goods needed to complete the project…..

1) Standard AC/DC Adapter. This one has a variable output with six different settings. 3 thru 12 volts. This allows to set the fan at different speed levels.

2) Timer: This is a GE Model # GE5110 I like this one because you can set it at 15 minute intervals and there are no pins to lose.

3) Computer Cooling Fan: Standard 12v

4) Connector: I use a Battery Pack and RC Car Connector and Repair Kit from Radio Shack. Cheap and easy.

5) Heat Shrink Tubing: A few pieces to cover the soldiered wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picture 7

All you have to do is mount it in. I use a small block of wood about ½ inch square and the same length as the fan and screw the fan to that. Then I screw the block of wood to the bottom of one of the shelves.I mounted it under the Cigar Oasis figuring the humidity would go to the bottom and at that point the fan can blow it around. Total cost for all the parts was $22.00. That price does not include the timer.
OK …Now I'm going to go one step farther for my Humi Fan challenged gorilla's. If you are willing to send me the cost of the parts ($22) and shipping. I'll have to figure out shipping cost but I think it would be under a pound and $3.85 priority mail should cover it.. If you'll do that I'll put one together and ship it to you. This does not include the timer, you can handle that end yourself. :D I do it for the love of the leaf and my fellow gorilla's !!! PM me if interested.
…………………"MocoBird"

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
MocoBird...That is a very helpful post. I am in the process of selling/buying a new home and want to build in a cabinet humi in a home office. I will definately be able to use this info. Thanks again for another informative post...

·
Sneaky Bombin Bastage
2,569 Posts
Great post! The pictures really help the electronically challenged like me. Thanks

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Wow. Great post - thanks. I just did one of these myself, but I used an AC fan from RS to avoid the additional cost of the wall wart.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
I'm curious as to how much the humidity of the top and bottom varied? Do you find that the humidity rises or sinks? My current humidor is small so I don't think this matters much, but I'm considering upgrading to a fridgedor and wondering where is the best placement for the humidifier.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RcktS4 said:
Wow. Great post - thanks. I just did one of these myself, but I used an AC fan from RS to avoid the additional cost of the wall wart.
The cost of the AC/DC Adapter by itself was 6.99 plus tax. :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jeff said:
I'm curious as to how much the humidity of the top and bottom varied? Do you find that the humidity rises or sinks? My current humidor is small so I don't think this matters much, but I'm considering upgrading to a fridgedor and wondering where is the best placement for the humidifier.

Thanks,
Jeff
The problem isn't so much the top of the humi. It stays within acceptable RH range, 65 to 70 % . It's the bottom of the cabinet that seems to have a higher then acceptable RH %, over 70%. That's why I located it near the bottom and under the Cigar Oasis. Gets all that humidity down there moving around. I set my timer to cycle on and off every 15 minutes. In my cabinet the humidity stays even throughout :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Great work - I don't nearly have a humidor large enough, but I appreciate 1) the time it took to take those pictures and create this "manual" of how to..., and 2) the fact that you are offering your time/services to others free of charge. Very classy. Thanks again.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steeltown said:
Great work - I don't nearly have a humidor large enough, but I appreciate 1) the time it took to take those pictures and create this "manual" of how to..., and 2) the fact that you are offering your time/services to others free of charge. Very classy. Thanks again.
No Problem! Glad to help out when I can. I'll only be happy when all the cigars in this world are as well taken care of as mine are. I figure I'll start with you gorilla's!! ;)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hey Moco,

Great idea. Thank you for sharing. I wonder about something though. Since we all like BargainHumidors so much maybe you should share this with them (if they haven't seen it yet, it seems they check out the boards). If they are able to buy the components in large quantities and install them at the time of construction I think it would imrove the final product as well as pass on the savings to us.

Just an idea for what seems to be a caring retailer.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Great post, Mocobird. I was one of the guys who commented on your fan setup a while back. I currently have the Oasis plus in my manassas set at 70. My hygrometer reads 70 in the bottom shelves and 67-68 in the top ones. Not sure how big a deal this is, but I'm thinking the perfectionist in me needs one of these fans.

I'll be PMing you soon

MocoBird said:
I've seen a lot of post recently about installing fans in different humi's and have been asked, after posting a picture of one I installed in my own humi…."How did you do that?" Well tonight I put together another one for a customer of mine who is also a fellow BOTL. He also has an Antietam and was having humidity issues. Seems he was seeing a big difference in the RH level from the top to the bottom. So I offered to install a fan for him. I thought this might be a good time to show everybody how this is done, and in pictures too……have you come to expect anything less. So if your interested follow along……

First picture is of the required goods needed to complete the project…..

1) Standard AC/DC Adapter. This one has a variable output with six different settings. 3 thru 12 volts. This allows to set the fan at different speed levels.

2) Timer: This is a GE Model # GE5110 I like this one because you can set it at 15 minute intervals and there are no pins to lose.

3) Computer Cooling Fan: Standard 12v

4) Connector: I use a Battery Pack and RC Car Connector and Repair Kit from Radio Shack. Cheap and easy.

5) Heat Shrink Tubing: A few pieces to cover the soldiered wires.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
When I was ready to graduate to a bigger humidor (i.e. a closet), I chose a large size (room size) humidifier w/ fan. [Hee, hee, hee.]
Here's the picture fro the Gallery. You can see what I'm using at the botton.
I'm a big proponent of active humidification.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.