Cigar Forums banner

Hoyo Maduro Rothschild Review

4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Guilow 
#1 ·
I,m relatively new to cigars and I think I finally understand what the difference between aged and un-aged is.
The first box of cigars that I bought was a box of Hoyo de Monterey Rothschild Maduro's. Having read the reviews and figured out the cost to value ratio I waited patiently for my box to come. It came and I couldn't wait for 2 days of sitting so I smoked one. I must say it was less than enjoyable, I thought I had gotten in over my head. The cigar made my eyes water and made me hack my brains out. It reminded me of the only Punch I had ever smoked, kinda like 2 day dry seaweed that someone had rolled up.
So over the course of the next few months I have poked at them here and there and then just kinda forgot about them. Well, I had one this evening after dinner. A completely different smoke.
The wrapper had gone from flaky and dry to a wonderfully oiled glove leather skin, stretched to perfection and glimmering with whatever makes a cigar glimmer. I took out my $3.00 double guillotene and whacked off it's head. WOW! Where did that come from. :D I mean I carefully removed only enough of the neatly constructed cap to allow for a perfect draw. The pre light flavor was smooth and sweet. The cigar smoke that filled the room after firing up smelled distinctly like "Malibu Rum" or suntan oil, very pleasant and relaxing. The cigar is really kind of short to be splitting it up into pieces, Halves or thirds, so I'll say that throughout the poor old friends life it never got bitter, burned perfectly even with a tight light gray ash that contrasted the oily dark body very nicely. It tasted wonderful to me, kind of that thick somewhat dry particulate smoke that sweetened tenfold as I rolled it over my pallate. By the time I was done I wasn't even aware of the 3 kids running around screaming. Definately a different smoke, Thank you Jose Gener whoever you are.

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: Hoyo Maduro Rothschild

glovepuppy said:
I've been hearing good things about these and the Punch Rothchilds. Which is better, the Maduros or the Oscuros?

Thanks,
pjg
glovepuppy,
I haven't tried the Oscuros, didn't even know they had them, but I have tried the Dark Sumatra and I actually like them better. They seem to have a sweeter, yet spicier flavor.

#7 ·

these were one of my favorite domestics. i could chew on that very thick maduro wrapper for half the day if i tried...

to save money though, just buy the Consuegra #9s in maduro, it's the exact same cigar, only at $25 for 25 cigars.

#8 ·

Punch & HDM sometimes get lost in all the glitz & glamor of the new releases, but remain a couple of the best values in the domestic cigar market today. They rarely disappoint. Llaneza, Padron & crew continue to do an outstanding job.
Try El Rey Del Mundo also.....& Excalibur 1066. You'll be glad you did.

#11 ·

IHT said:
these were one of my favorite domestics. i could chew on that very thick maduro wrapper for half the day if i tried...

to save money though, just buy the Consuegra #9s in maduro, it's the exact same cigar, only at $25 for 25 cigars.
I know they used to make a double maduro and the wrapper was just like leather..
I'll take your word that Consuegra is the same cigar and would like to try it who handles it?

Jerry in Minnesota.

#14 ·

I've Tried a few Consuergas, and Liked them alot. I'm not sure if they were #9's they seemed lighter(in weight), and drier, kinda like a padron 2000. Is Consuerga like Old Fashioned, where they are seconds from many brands? And consequently can someone post a link to the list of Old fashioned cross refference #'s and maybe one to Consuerga if the same applies.

#15 ·

i had a list i saved from someplace what all the Connies actually were... i might have posted it here somewhere (doubt it).

i do know that connie #9s are either Punch or HdM rothchilds. i've had a few bundles... i've also had some of the bigger ones.

yes, those very thick/chewy maduro wrappers on the HdM rothchilds are great.

#16 ·

can't believe i found it that fast...
------------------------------------

Connie conversions:

No. Size Best Villazon Matches (Note: Only most widely available sizes listed.)

#1 6.5X42 ULT Cetro, PUNCH Oxford Deluxe
#2 4.5X28 ULT Habanella, PUNCH Slim Panatella
#3 5.5X43 BF Corona, HDM Tubo, BELINDA Spanish Twist
#5 5.5X37 ULT Petit Cetro, ERDM Tino, EXCAL VI
#8 5.5X28 ERDM Elegantes
#9 4.5X50 PUNCH/HDM/ULT Rothschild
#10 5X41 PUNCH London club, HDM Sabrosos
#108 6.5X46 ULT Cab 10
#14 7.25X54 BF 754, ULT 1,ULT Cab 60, ERDM Robusto Suprema, HDM Sultans, PUNCH Chateau L
#15 6.25X45 EXCAL II, HDM Churchill
#16 6X48 PUNCH Pita
#17 5.5X47 HDM Café Royale, PGC Superior
#18 7.25X46 BELINDA 1835, PUNCH After Dinner
#25 6.75X48 FDA Prominente, BF/ULT/HDM/PUNCH Doub. Corona, EXCAL Banquet, PGC Monarcha
#26 5.5X42
#28 8.5X52 ULT/HDM/PUNCH Presidente, EXCAL Emperor, ERDM Coronation, PGC Prince Consort
#29 6X41
#30 5.25X50 ULT Cab 20, EXCAL Epicure, PUNCH Corona Gorda Deluxe, PGC Robusto
#68 5X37 FDA Especiale 5, BF Palmita, ERDM Reynita
#70 5.5X44 ERDM Corona, HDM Super Hoyo, PUNCH Café Royales, PUNCH Royal Coronation
#72 5X54 BF 554, ULT Cab 40, ERDM Robusto Zavalla, ERDM Robusto
#73 6X54 FDA Regordo, BF 654, ULT Cab 50, ERDM Reserva Salado
#73M 6X54 ULT Principale, ERDM Robusto Larga
#84T 6X54 ERDM Flor de Llaneza, PGC No. 2
#84B 6X50 FDA/ULT, BF Belicoso

#18 ·

c2000 said:
I know they used to make a double maduro and the wrapper was just like leather..
I'll take your word that Consuegra is the same cigar and would like to try it who handles it?

Jerry in Minnesota.
You also could try Mikes.....www.mikescigars.com.

#21 ·

Nely...

2 things...

1. you overpaid for the connies if you got 50 of them for 100 bucks. you can go to at least 2 online shops and get a bundle of 25 for 25-30 bucks each.

2. they don't come in boxes, only in bundles.

glad you like 'em, they're pretty solid smokes.

#24 ·

The double maduros are much better, more flavorful, than the maduros IMO. They are listed as "Oscuro" on many websites, but that's a mis-label. They use a maduro wrapper and binder, hence double maduro. Oscuro should be used to refer to an extra-dark wrapper like an Onyx reserve.

The DM rothchilds are my daily 'commute' smoke since they are perfect for a 30 min. ride.

#25 ·

Guilow said:
The double maduros are much better, more flavorful, than the maduros IMO. They are listed as "Oscuro" on many websites, but that's a mis-label. They use a maduro wrapper and binder, hence double maduro. Oscuro should be used to refer to an extra-dark wrapper like an Onyx reserve.

The DM rothchilds are my daily 'commute' smoke since they are perfect for a 30 min. ride.
I'm no expert, but I like to read and educate myself, and I did a lot of reading on cigars when I started getting serious about cigars. This is taken directly from JR's website, under the JR University subtittle, under Maduro 101:

"Maduro (very dark brown) - This color is also occasionally referred to as "Spanish Market Selection" (SMS) because of the Spanish nation's love of dark, full-bodied cigars.

Oscuro (basically black) - Also referred to as "Double Maduro or "Maduro Maduro." Very few of these are produced today with a few notable exceptions: the very full- flavored El Rey del Mundo Oscuro, Honduran Punch & Hoyo de Monterrey Double Maduro, and the JR Ultimate Oscuro lines. Also let me dismiss a common repeated fallacy regarding Double Maduro & Maduro Maduro cigars: These terms refer solely to their color and not that the cigar is wrapper in two maduro wrappers or a maduro wrapper and binder combo. Somehow this "two-wrapper" mistruth continues to be repeated by some tobacconist year after year. Please when you hear someone say this, politely educate him or her for everyone's benefit."

Interesting opposite statements. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

#26 ·

That's interesting. I wish someone could then explain to me why the Hoyo "Maduro" and "Oscuro" (maduro maduro) Rothchilds, when placed side-by-side look EXACTLY the same in color. By JR's definition I would expect the "Oscuro" Rothschilds to look much darker, almost black. But in actual appearance they are the same color as the maduro version.

Maybe Mr. JR could explain that. ??

Read Alex Bradley's description of his "double maduro" cigar. It doesn't actually jive with the JR is saying (and note - the Bradely "double maduro" is actually a golden brown cigar):

Alec Bradley has introduced the Occidental Reserve Double Maduro, blended and manufactured by Dominican cigar master Hendrik Kelner, known for making some of the world's most prestigious cigars. "Customers have been asking for a maduro, since Occidental Reserve's 2000 introduction," reports Alec Bradley president Alan Rubin, "and we've worked to develop one since 2002. It all came together when we hit on combining a broadleaf maduro wrapper, grown in Ecuador, with a Connecticut-grown broadleaf binder ... they balance each other better than all-Connecticut broadleaf binder/wrapper cigars." The two tobaccos' extra-rich maduro flavour results from longer fermenting. Done naturally without steaming, this avoids bitterness and gives the leaves a sweet, creamy flavour. A Piloto Cubano and Dominican Olor filler give this cigar a mild-to-medium body." "

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.