Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a small cigar this is, I thought when I opened the box and just looked at them... Not many minutes later I was smoking it... Mmmm... It started a little bit, not so good I think. Spicy/leathery kind of flavour... But that flavour almost disappeared you more I smoked... And then a little bit surprisingly it tasted almost like a Vegas Robaina Famosos. ive comming to love so much. I t was a coffe/nutty/chocolate-flavour I liked. And the scent of the smoke that came out from the cigar smelled almost exactly like a Vegas Robaina Famosos. I know because Ive developed a sense to recognize different kind of cuban cigars by their scent. In other words it wasnt much like the Epicure no 2 or EL Piramides 2003, that Ive tried from the Hoyo de Monterrey-series. Maybe not that much experience with the Hoyo de Monterrey. But I just love the Epicure no2, one of my top 2 cubans as a matter of fact. OK, enough!

I liked this cigar very much... When I smoked an inch or so I thought it was a 4.5 out of 5.0 kind of cigar, but it was better.

4.7-4.8 out of 5.0

I think I still like the Vegas Robaina Famosos a little bit more. Cleaner flavour sort of speak... And the draw was perfect... Colour of the wrapper was light-brown...

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Re: Hoyo de Monterrey Petite Robusto

I have only smoked two of these. The first one I liked very much, a little young but an enjoyable smoke. The second was a but underfilled and a little harsh.

I am interested to see how these age. Looks like I'll need to buy some more, only have 2 left.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts

I've had about 5. The more I smoke them, the less I like them. I had a Cuaba tradicionnal, a Punch Petit Coronation and a HdM PR all in the same day, the first two I enjoyed immensely, the PR seemed weak and lifeless in comparison. The petit coronations I'm starting to really enjoy, little butt kickers.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

1f1fan said:
I have only smoked two of these. The first one I liked very much, a little young but an enjoyable smoke. The second was a but underfilled and a little harsh.

I am interested to see how these age. Looks like I'll need to buy some more, only have 2 left.
Hey! I was thinking of you when I wrote the review but I forgot to mention you. You beeing a VR-guy and all. I thought it might intrest you a bit... But you already tried a few I see...

·
Banned
8,745 Posts

El Rey del Mundo said:
What a small cigar this is, I thought when I opened the box and just looked at them... Not many minutes later I was smoking it... Mmmm... It started a little bit, not so good I think. Spicy/leathery kind of flavour... But that flavour almost disappeared you more I smoked... And then a little bit surprisingly it tasted almost like a Vegas Robaina Famosos. ive comming to love so much. I t was a coffe/nutty/chocolate-flavour I liked. And the scent of the smoke that came out from the cigar smelled almost exactly like a Vegas Robaina Famosos. I know because Ive developed a sense to recognize different kind of cuban cigars by their scent. In other words it wasnt much like the Epicure no 2 or EL Piramides 2003, that Ive tried from the Hoyo de Monterrey-series. Maybe not that much experience with the Hoyo de Monterrey. But I just love the Epicure no2, one of my top 2 cubans as a matter of fact. OK, enough!

I liked this cigar very much... When I smoked an inch or so I thought it was a 4.5 out of 5.0 kind of cigar, but it was better.

4.7-4.8 out of 5.0

I think I still like the Vegas Robaina Famosos a little bit more. Cleaner flavour sort of speak... And the draw was perfect... Colour of the wrapper was light-brown...
Introduction
This little HDM petite robusto arrived via B52 from it's long term rest in southern CA. Been looking at the "special humi" containing the bomblets this evening and decided on the HDM as my first larger RG Cuban smoke after finding ERDM's review of them here. It was a clear night so decided to smoke it in the hot tub out back.

Pre-Light Ruminations
4 x 50 this is a firecracker of a little stick. Nice full firm roll. This one had some age I'm told 2000-2001 vintage. It smelled nice and rich and the head nipped clean and sharp. This is the largest ring gauge Cuban I have smoked so far and was a little concerned about drowning in the 3 foot deep tub.

Initial Thoughts
The steam was really wafting about as I lit this. Had a little trouble seeing but all was soon well. This was the most relaxing setting to date for me to enjoy an ISOM so settled in to enjoy the smoke. Started a little rough but soon I was floating on that Cuban loam cloud.

Smoking Experience

At first this was just a good cigar. After about ½ inch started getting a buzz and some high nostril good coffee kind of taste. Taste in my nose? This is a new one for me. Burn was perfect. Could see the orange cone of the burn through the 2" ash and it was pretty cool. The Coffee got a little chocolaty with some caramel, nice. Smoked in to the nub and enjoyed every puff.

Final Thoughts
I liked it a lot. Little more nip in the nose than the SC but this is a much larger cigar. I'm gonna get me some.

·
-
11,412 Posts

Da Klugs said:
This one had some age I'm told 2000-2001 vintage.
they were just released in '04.

great review of it though, i've only had 1 during the recent mini-KC herf. it caused me to take a puff and immediately pull it out of my mouth and look at it like, "DAMN!" the guy next to me laughinly says, "just got good, didn't it?" hell yes. i might have to get a box in the future (maybe when i'm out of epi 2s in a year or two).

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

I have some of these on the way via some BOTLs on here who were kind enough to share. I will post my thoughts on this baby when I get a chance to smoke one. Yeah these are new for 04.....but a well done review.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
HdM Petit Robust from Cookieboy364

El Rey del Mundo said:

4.7-4.8 out of 5.0

Well now that I smoked one I would agree with you Rey.....the first inch or so was nothing special......but it really woke up, so to speak for the rest of the smoke. I got leather, some cocoa/chocolate and lots of creamy taste. I really enjoyed it, and with a little age I think it will be a super smoke. Thank you cookieboy, it was very good, very good indeed. I took a few pics to share.

Picture 1850 is a perfect example of the "CUBAN" divit that is often talked about as being a sure fire sign of a real cuban cigar
Picture 1868 is the carnage :D

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Re: HdM Petit Robust from Cookieboy364

Looks like it was a good smoke. I've been wondering how these were as they always look so damn good on the vendor pages. Not a bad price either.

Thanx for the reviews guys!

·
-
11,412 Posts
Re: HdM Petit Robust from Cookieboy364

coppertop said:
Picture 1850 is a perfect example of the "CUBAN" divit that is often talked about as being a sure fire sign of a real cuban cigar
and here i thought that's the aftermath of you "having your way" with the cigar?! :confused:

·
Banned
8,745 Posts

Maybe they were a little dry? Does this in some way relate to the term ISOM virgin? :r A new and unique way of rehydrating cigars? :r Were we misunderstanding the I love this F*&#king cigar? :r Can you have more than one without jealousy and catfights ensuing? :r

Thanks IHT that was fun.

·
The Screamin' Eagle \m/
3,114 Posts

Da Klugs said:
Can you have more than one without jealousy and catfights ensuing?:r
With that famous Latino temper? Are you kidding?

I have one of these sat in my humidor... Buying some presents and thought 'why should those guys have all the fun?' (You know who you are!) Got one of these half price from my tobacconist on his recommendation...
Looks like this could be the start of my hobby gettin' expensive...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

This one is my most recent passion. I really enjoy this sucker. Right size, great construction, etc. I've had about 6/7 of these and getting better everytime. ;)

·
Registered
916 Posts

I smoked one of these tonight and it was my first ever. I read the reviews here and have read other reviews of this cigar and they have been extremely varied from "don't like 'em" to "Love 'em". I don't know if I hit this when it was "on", but it was an amazing little smoke - One of the best Cubans I've tried yet to be honest!
The first half-inch was nice, with light notes of lemon/citrus, but after that, oh man...it just developed into an extremely smooth, creamy coffee with hints of cinnamon. Awesome Cuban "twang" the whole smoke and the last third had definite cinnamon/graham cracker tones. Like I said, I don't know if the stars are aligned right now or what, but I know it was from an '04 box and it absolutely rocked my world tonight. Perfect draw, great burn. It was gifted to me by Cameroncouch in the musical Habanos pass and I just wanna thank him again. Great cigar and I'd buy a box for sure if they tasted like this all the time!

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts

Jason Love III said:
I smoked one of these tonight and it was my first ever. I read the reviews here and have read other reviews of this cigar and they have been extremely varied from "don't like 'em" to "Love 'em". I don't know if I hit this when it was "on", but it was an amazing little smoke - One of the best Cubans I've tried yet to be honest!
The first half-inch was nice, with light notes of lemon/citrus, but after that, oh man...it just developed into an extremely smooth, creamy coffee with hints of cinnamon. Awesome Cuban "twang" the whole smoke and the last third had definite cinnamon/graham cracker tones. Like I said, I don't know if the stars are aligned right now or what, but I know it was from an '04 box and it absolutely rocked my world tonight. Perfect draw, great burn. It was gifted to me by Cameroncouch in the musical Habanos pass and I just wanna thank him again. Great cigar and I'd buy a box for sure if they tasted like this all the time!
Nice review.

I had a few recently from the same box and they were MUCH better than I remember from when they first came out. I generally like smaller RG cigars but those little suckas rocked.

·
Registered
916 Posts

SeanGAR said:
Nice review.

I had a few recently from the same box and they were MUCH better than I remember from when they first came out. I generally like smaller RG cigars but those little suckas rocked.
Oh yeah, it was a great smoke. The ring gauge was fine for me, but the length made it really appealing to me tonight. Looooong day. It was a jewel. LOL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.