Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How soon can you smoke a purchased cigar after delivery?
I've purchased my cigars mostly online and just wondering if they need to sit in my tupperdor for days or weeks before smoking them?
I usually only smoke once every week or two so it shouldn't be an issue but would like to know in case I may want to light up within a few days of delivery.

Cali

·
Retired Chaos Designer
12,379 Posts
You can, and many do smoke right of the truck (RoTT) just keep in mind there might be some burn/draw issues.
A good rule of thumb is to allow one week per % point that your trying to drop plus a week to equalize, so if you’re starting off at 70 rh and want 65 then you‘re looking at 6-7 weeks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
At a minimum I put my cigars in my humidor for 14 days before I'll consider them smokable. The exception to this are the cigars I get from the local B&M as they are already in a humidified environment. Typically the longer they rest the better they'll perform. I often get 5-packs and I find the second or third one -- and then the rest as well -- smoke better. So 3 to 4 weeks would seem like a better time frame for me but I'm impatient 😄

My humidor is in the basement where the temp varies the least amount and it sits around 67%-68% RH in the colder months (outside RH often above 70%) and 66%-67% during warmer months (outside RH often below 50% by afternoon). I find my cigars smoke better during the warmer months with the RH lower all around.

·
Super Moderator
17,474 Posts
I give mine 6 months or so. But I'm not gonna expect anyone who's just stockin up to wait anywhere close to that. If you've got enough ,wait a few weeks. If you don't... don't.

Patience is key to this hobby but what's the point of getting into cigars to just watch em acclimate in your humidor.

Like someone said..The 1% rh for 7-10 days is the math.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Wildman
542 Posts
Good info on this thread. I order 99% of what I smoke online so it goes through a shipping cycle. Most of the time, I'll pull one out of the box when they arrive just to try them out. Then, depending on that leave them alone in the Winador for at least 2 weeks, sometimes longer.

As stated above "Patience is key to this hobby" and "1% RH adjustment for each 7-10 days is the math".

Even moisture content at the right amount is very important.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts