Cigar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... this is a bit radical, but maybe will kickstart a fruitful discussion on technique

It bothered me because people talked about sucking, drawing, pulling, and treating a pipe otherwise like a straw that you drank from. Having known some old school pipe smokers, this advice never sat well with me, because in my experience the oldtimers enjoyed the steady trickle of smoke not the sudden deluge.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Sorry @deathmetal , I just saw this. I read your article earlier and completely agreed with it. What has come to be known as the breath method is the optimal smoking technique. When writing a book many years ago, I had a pipe in my mouth the whole time. Since I needed both hands free to type, I needed a pipe I could clench and a tobacco that would stay in the background and burn slowly and steadily. The pipe was a nice billiard with a vulcanite stem and the tobacco was unfussy Captain Black White. The steady flow of nicotine and mild flavor helped me focus. By the time I had finished writing, the stem was almost chewed through and I was bored with CBW. Nowadays, not all of my pipes have stems that are thin enough to clench, and I have way more blends in storage. But the smoking method you describe in this article and several others is still applicable and well worth being reminded of.

BTW, the fish-lip technique for reviving a dying bowl is a great tip.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts