Cigar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this just recently occurred to me. most of the cigars i buy (5 packs and boxes) are all the same size. at the end of the summer i bought a sampler of man o war with 4 different sizes. in the last month or so i have gotten into it and every one has tasted different to me, similar but different. dont get me wrong i have enjoyed every one, they have just seemed different than one another. also the strength has seemed to be different, some seemed full bodied and others on the mild side of medium. i have also noticed this with 5 vegas gold. the petite corona seems considerably more peppery than its respective toro size. could this happen to be what i have eaten/drank before hand or does the size within a brand really change that much?

· Registered
440 Posts
The particular vitola matters quite a lot regarding strength and flavor. There is some disagreement about how much the wrapper vs. the filler contribute to the strength and flavor. My personal experience is the very large vitolas tend to be less potent. Although in recent years, Cuba has been producing more robusto size cigars, the old benchmark for exhibiting the strengths of a particular cigar was the corona. Large ring guage cigars are a relatively new phenomenon.

· Registered
235 Posts
I feel lower guaged vitolas tend to have more flavor than a larger gauged one.

Most of the cigar's flavor comes from the wrapper. Lanceros for example tend to have more wrapper than filler, providing the most intense flavors a cigar can provide. Tends to get plugged though.

· AquaApe
2,844 Posts
I feel lower guaged vitolas tend to have more flavor than a larger gauged one.

Most of the cigar's flavor comes from the wrapper. Lanceros for example tend to have more wrapper than filler, providing the most intense flavors a cigar can provide. Tends to get plugged though.
Good point Andrew.

Lanceros are double wrapped. That is the difference between a Lancero and a Lonsdale. Dbl or single wrap. The strength comes more from the filler, flavor from the wrapper.

· Cigar Nutter
391 Posts
From my experience the smaller rg the cigar the more flavour (generally speaking).

· Registered
35 Posts
I always thought that the larger the cigar, the cooler the smoke is by the time it's actually brought into the mouth. Because the smoke is cooler as it travels through the cigar, it doesn't pick up as much of the spices and flavors of the tobacco that it's flowing through. The result is a milder, cooler, not-as-spicy smoke.

Cheers,
Michael

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.