Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been here for a little while now and have met some pretty cool people so I have decided to throw a contest of my own to give away some smokes. Anyone that has gotten to know me also knows that music is very big part of my life and the main musical style is of course HEAVY METAL!!! So this contest will be strictly heavy metal trivia....some easy questions...some not so easy...hehe. I am sure if you have strong Google Fu skills you should be fine! First one to get all questions correct will get a nice selection of NC (I am still new after all) smokes...GOOD LUCK and make Ozzy and Dio PROUD!!

1. The band Overlorde has a song entitled "The Longest Day" and it is based on what?

2. What is the name of the first metal band on the Relapse Record label?

3. This band wrote a complete album based on Shakespear's MacBeth.

4. What band had album art that was done by a serial killer and a mass murderer?

5. Before joining Metal Church, Mike Howe did vocals for what band?

6. This band had 3 out 4 of it's members that handled lead vocal duties depending on the song.

7. What band did David Wayne form after leaving Metal Church for the second time?

8. This band won the very first Metal Grammy award.

9. Who was Judas Priest's original vocalist?

10. King Fowley is the lead vocalist for the band Deceased and who else?

11. This New Wave of British Heavy Metal band had to go to court to settle a name dispute.

12. This NWOBHM band changed their name to Pariah. What was the original band name?

13. Who is the vocalist on Sentenced's first album?

14. For a short time this band changed their name to Order of the Iluminati.

15. What is the name of Bruce Dickinson's best friend's dad's uncle's brother's gardener?

Just kidding on the last one 14 is actually the last question...lol

CHEERS and once again GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Well I have been here for a little while now and have met some pretty cool people so I have decided to throw a contest of my own to give away some smokes. Anyone that has gotten to know me also knows that music is very big part of my life and the main musical style is of course HEAVY METAL!!! So this contest will be strictly heavy metal trivia....some easy questions...some not so easy...hehe. I am sure if you have strong Google Fu skills you should be fine! First one to get all questions correct will get a nice selection of NC (I am still new after all) smokes...GOOD LUCK and make Ozzy and Dio PROUD!!

1. The band Overlorde has a song entitled "The Longest Day" and it is based on what?

D Day

Velcro Overdose

Jag Panzer

4. What band had album art that was done by a serial killer and a mass murderer?

Crawlspace Brothers

Heretic

6. This band had 3 out 4 of it's members that handled lead vocal duties depending on the song.

Deadly Weapon

7. What band did David Wayne form after leaving Metal Church for the second time?

Wayne

If you're talking Best Hard Rock Band it was Jethro Tull. If you're talking Best Metal Performance it was Metallica.

Alan Atkins

October 31

11. This New Wave of British Heavy Metal band had to go to court to settle a name dispute.

Black Flag

12. This NWOBHM band changed their name to Pariah. What was the original band name?

The Hostages

Miika Tenkula

Agent Steel

15. What is the name of Bruce Dickinson's best friend's dad's uncle's brother's gardener?

Mike

Just kidding on the last one 14 is actually the last question...lol

Oh

CHEERS and once again GOOD LUCK!!!
here's my first attempt

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty impressive but questions 2,4,6,11,12 are wrong....:tu

You were also correct with question 9 being Jethro Tull. Metallica was nominated for ...And Justice for All but lost out to Tull which proved that the grammy's had no knowledge of metal music.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the questions get too hard I will add hints as we go along. Looking through some of the questions that were not answered correctly there are couple that I can see being a bit of a problem...not just to answer but even to really be able to find the answer.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
How about:

1. What was RJD's first band?

2. What is Ozzy Osbournes real first name?

3. When did Geezer Butler leave Black Sabbath for the first time and where did he get the name "Geezer"?

4. Who was the original lead vocalist for Iron Maiden?

5. What was the highest selling album on which Ian Gillan ever sang vocals?

6. What two heavy metal guitar strokin' brothers played for the bands UFO and Scorpions?

7. What German band recorded the album Russian Roulette?

8. Who coined the term "Heavy Metal"?

9. Did any member of AC/DC ever claim to be a metal band?

10. What Maiden influenced band released the album Keeper of the Seven Keys?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:tu
How about:

1. What was RJD's first band?
Elf

2. What is Ozzy Osbournes real first name?
John

3. When did Geezer Butler leave Black Sabbath for the first time and where did he get the name "Geezer"?
1984 and he used to call everyone a "geezer" when he was younger.

4. Who was the original lead vocalist for Iron Maiden?
Paul Day

5. What was the highest selling album on which Ian Gillan ever sang vocals?
I would have to say Machine Head with Deep Purple since that album still sells to this day.

6. What two heavy metal guitar strokin' brothers played for the bands UFO and Scorpions?
Shenker

7. What German band recorded the album Russian Roulette?
Accept

8. Who coined the term "Heavy Metal"?
This has been up for debate for a while now but I lean towards the song from Steppenwolf "Born to be Wild"

9. Did any member of AC/DC ever claim to be a metal band?
No

10. What Maiden influenced band released the album Keeper of the Seven Keys?
Helloween
this is what I came up with without searching...I am not sure about some of the dates...

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
D-Day

Velcro Overdose and Face of Decline

Jag Panzer

Acid Bath

Heretic

this is A LOT of bands, but one of my favorites is Blind Guardian

Wayne

Metallica

Alan Atkins

October 31

That would of course be DRAGONFORCE, who had a dispute with a Brazilian band Dragonheart. Their original demo, Valley of the Damned, was released under this name, but was changed before the actual album Valley of the Damned was released :tu

Satan

Miika Tenkula

Agent Steel

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
:tu

this is what I came up with without searching...I am not sure about some of the dates...
Yeah, I pulled those off the top of my head in two minutes. Don't know half the answers myself, but I do know Elf was Dio's first recorded band. He was actually musically inclined from childhood and had several bands on his way to recording. For Ian Gillan, I'd love to say Born Again, but alas....... probably not the answer.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seanohue is close but has 3 wrong answers...

#6 there is a few bands that do this so I will give a hint of the band I am thinking of...

They were formed in Orlando Florida in 1979 and released their first and only album in 1986. They actually had a compilation album released in 2000 and have since actually reformed to give it another shot.

#11- Dragonforce did have a name dispute but they are not a NWOBHM band.

Close but as corny as it sounds to be saying this here...no cigar...:ss

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I thought I was pretty metal until I saw this thread. I'm 43 and grew up on Priest/Sabbath etc. I feel like a freakin' idiot after reading these questions. I really don't know how to redeem myself. Honestly, I've been listing to more punk lately. I'm a metal zero. I should be forced to listen White Lion "Wait' for 30 hours straight.

MCS

Ashamed

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought I was pretty metal until I saw this thread. I'm 43 and grew up on Priest/Sabbath etc. I feel like a freakin' idiot after reading these questions. I really don't know how to redeem myself. Honestly, I've been listing to more punk lately. I'm a metal zero. I should be forced to listen White Lion "Wait' for 30 hours straight.

MCS

Ashamed
Nothing to be ashamed of since some of these questions a hard core metalhead would be hard pressed to answer off hand. Maybe I just made this too hard...if no onehas answered this correctly by friday afternoon I will just put up a multiple choice answers for the remaining unanswerd questions.

Anyway I have sent some CDR's out filled with metal MP3's of some of the better bands out there today andif you would care to have one as well just send me your addy via PM and I will fire one off for you.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
D-Day

Deceased

Jag Panzer

Acid Bath

Heretic

This is still a mystery

Wayne

Metallica

Alan Atkins

October 31

Avenger

Satan

Miika Tenkula

Agent Steel

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cool someone got question #2...good work Flyerfan!

Still need #6 and #11

Here are a couple of hints for #6. Since the band only had one album and it is self titled I will give some song titles from said album that are actually online for people to listen to.

Demon's Desciple
Die Like That
Demons
Bloodlust

A hint for #11. This band was formed in 1977 and is still going strong today. Their lead singer also has something in common with the "villain" in the Back to the Future movies.

That should help out a lot...:ss

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
D-Day

Deceased

Jag Panzer

Acid Bath

Heretic

Iron Cross

Wayne

Metallica

Alan Atkins

October 31

Saxon

Satan

Miika Tenkula

Agent Steel

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We have a winner!!! Good job FlyerFan!

Just PM me your address and i will get those sticks in the mail to you:ss

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.