Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many do all ya low life gorillas smoke a week? I try to get in a cigar a day, so I'm around 7. But what I CAN NOT understand is how these people afford these cubans. At my rate of consumption that'd be at least 250 a month. That's nuts lol....I mean I've enjoyed a PSD4 and a Punch-Punch before but I would never consider smoking them everyday....does anyone on this forum smoke Cubans even more than once a week?

·
Registered
756 Posts
i think maybe some people might be afraid to answer this one b/c of the anti-snob symbol on the front page of CS. the way your question is phrased will almost make me feel arrogant by saying that i smoke about 2 sticks per day, always 1 being ISOM, and usually both.
jimmy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No no that wasn't arrogant at all if ya ask me......but wow I really wonder how you afford that? I am a single young guy and I live by myself with no kids and I would have a hard time affording that......any tips on how I could afford a luxury like that????:confused:

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Dear Scarface,

A combination of cigar smoking experience along with many purchases made and a knowledge of the product, the different vendors, and relative prices . . . Oh! and I forgot to mention the love of the leaf, that's how some people can afford to smoke ISOM products on such a regular basis.

Remember, not all good ISOM are Double Coronas that you purchase for 35 British Pounds in London.

What I'm trying to say is, if your passion is cigars, and you enjoy the nuances of flavor & strengths that come from different islands, you can find ways of obtaining what you want at reasonable prices. There aer some very good Corona sizes that can be purchase for between $2 - $5.

It's all a matter of preference & taste.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah that's a good point you make. I have seen Monte #4 boxes for around 135 bucks which isn't much, I guess I'm just more a fan of the big cigars, at least 5-5.5 inches and at least a 50 ring gauge and the cuban robustos are pricey. But maybe I should look into a smaller cuban, I've only had experience with the bigger ones like the PSD4. I look at cigars like this. Nice cubans are like a Ferrari and your premium non-cubans are like a Corvette. The corvette is gonna cost you a 3rd of the price and have good performance (I've owned a 97 C5) but it's never going to catch a Ferrari. However you can have some serious fun in the vette and get a good bang for your buck, not to mention that corvettes are readily available at any major dealership, and most ferraris aren't even sold in the usa........more useless analogies from yours truly hahahaha maybe I should stick to the food analogies....:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I have had Partagas as I said earlier I've enjoyed a PSD4 and I've also had a Bolivar-the Belicosos Finos. It was very strong and gave me a butt kickin, it reminded me of the thicker LGC's with the 54+ ring, those are also very strong, but not very flavorful. I've never had a Por because of the floral, fruity reviews I've seen, although I priced a box of SLR pc's out of Switzerland for only 125 bucks....I never noticed them! I'll have to give em a try, that's cheap as hell. More than a reasonable price for a good size cigar.

·
Registered
756 Posts
SF-
one of my favorite robustos, and i think very reasonable price most places is the ramon allones special select.
excellent smoke. i have even seen aged stock at $7-8 a stick.
jimmy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have never had one but I have heard nothing but good things about the RASS. My source prices them out at around 7.50 a stick, not bad. One of these days I'm gonna buy a stick or two and see how they are. I have family in Michigan, where I used to live, and I would go to the LCDH in Windsor to test taste cubans. The RASS and the SLR will be on my list.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Scarface said:
... and I would go to the LCDH in Windsor to test taste cubans. The RASS and the SLR will be on my list.
The prices in Windsor are just plain insane. You can find Habanos much cheaper almost anywhere (except the UK).

When the weather up here (in Michigan) permits, I smoke 7 to 10 cigars a week with 80% of them being Habanos. I usually only get to have 2 to 3 in the winter so they are all Habanos.

Next on my Habanos adventures is to start sampling the Machine-Mades which will get my fair-weather smoking of Habanos up to 100%.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I maybe a youngster around here but that doesn't stop me from burnin' down 10 to 14 in a week...I live in a place that has a great climate so I have plenty of opportunities to smoke...Since my dog insists on being walked every day I burn at least one with him and my dog doesn't say one damn word about what I'm smoking:D...he better not or no walkie for him... :rolleyes:
The darkside has taken a strong hold of me and I smoke about 95 % Habanos now....That Boli pc this morning sure was good.... :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah the prices in windsor are insane, I just used the store to make sure I was gettin authentic habanos number 1 and number 2 it was just for sampling different kinds of cigars, because most places online don't have a good system for singles. But I would have to disagree with ya about the machine made isom's. I would never have a cuban machine made over a non cuban premium...but then again I would never smoke a machine made cigar no matter where it's from, but that's just me. Over at cigar nexus though they have a big review of machine made isoms, I read about it and they didn't have anything that great to say about them. Cuban or not, it's still just machine made short filler cigars, yucky.

Did I just say yucky?? :r

·
Registered
76 Posts
:u :u I average one cigar a day, Monday through Friday on my commute to work. Most weekends I don't smoke. I don't run across that many Habanos. I have a few that were given to me over the last couple of years that I am saving for a "special occasion."

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Luke! Join me on the dark side and your journey will be complete. :rolleyes: [LOL]

Seriously now, I stopped paying attention to ratings that I read in stupid lifestyle (Aficionado) magazines a long time ago and have found many other sourrces of information on cigars. [Personally, I like Rudman the best, online magazine at http://www.theorudman.com/index.html, and I carry his 4th edition book around]

Let me tell you, the knowledge base of the people in Club Stogie is astounding. I've learned so much not just from strings and forums on this site, but in get togethers with fellow herfs as well. After meeting a group of herfs out in LA a few weeks back, my attention ahs again been diverted to smaller cigars (corona, PC, tres ptite corona, petit lancero, cigarello, demi-tasse, etc...). Some of my recent & gifts from fellow smokers have been astounding, really memorable!!

I bet a lot of the smokers on this site are smaller cigars as much as the bigger gauged ones.

What can I say but, dude, you're in the right place . . . and if you find yourself getting too excited over all this cigar talk and drooling on your keyboard, then take a break.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts