Cigar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, hope everyone is well and enjoying their day (and cigars). I have a strange dilemma I'm hoping one or more of you can lend a hand with. Here's the long and short of it.

A month ago, my cigars were smoking perfectly. I had them in tupperdors in my home at 70°F and 65% rH give or take- exactly where I wanted them. Everything smoked like a dream.

Fast forward a bit, and the cigars came on vacation with me for several weeks where they were exposed to fluctuations in both temp and humidity- both on the high end of things rather than low. Long story short, all the cigars in my collection I've sampled thus far went flat taste wise.

Now, all these cigars have been in my wineador for two full weeks at 66-70°F and 63-67% rH completely stable the whole time within those levels. My cigars still have not regained their flavor and are all tasting extremely flat compared to a month ago.

Have any of you ever experienced anything like this and/or know of a fix? I figured maybe another two weeks in the wineador to make it a full month but wanted to see if any of you had any experience with this, i.e. taking cigars that have been exposed to temp and rH fluctuations, having them lose flavor, and subsequently restoring them.

Thank you in advance for any answers you can provide.

Will

·
Frantically busy relaxing
7,031 Posts
Dry box them for two weeks, then try one.
Try another a week later. Continue if you see any improvement. That’s about all you can do for the humidity.
Flavors originate in the leaf’s oils, which cannot be “restored”. These are usually lost over long periods of dryness or time.
Hopefully your sticks are just wet.
That’s all I got.

·
Super Moderator
8,610 Posts
Now, all these cigars have been in my wineador for two full weeks at 66-70°F and 63-67% rH completely stable the whole time within those levels. My cigars still have not regained their flavor and are all tasting extremely flat compared to a month ago.
That's not exactly what I'd call "stable". But to answer your question, it can take quite a long time in a truly stable environment to overcome such negative effects. For example, we generally estimate at least one week to drop 1% of RH. Let's say you have cigars at 73% RH that you wish to drop to 65% RH. That's going to take at least 8 weeks, and I'd give 'em 3 months just to be sure (that also being a pretty good rule-of-thumb for newly delivered cigars). The affects of temp swings are less sure. Minor or short-term swings are relatively insignificant, but major swings, especially extended times, are more concerning. But, they do eventually settle in. After all, cigars are shipped from Central America in freight containers that are known to reach well over 100° inside.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dry box them for two weeks, then try one.
Try another a week later. Continue if you see any improvement. That’s about all you can do for the humidity.
Flavors originate in the leaf’s oils, which cannot be “restored”. These are usually lost over long periods of dryness or time.
Hopefully your sticks are just wet.
That’s all I got.
Thanks! I hope that's all it is.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's not exactly what I'd call "stable". But to answer your question, it can take quite a long time in a truly stable environment to overcome such negative effects. For example, we generally estimate at least one week to drop 1% of RH. Let's say you have cigars at 73% RH that you wish to drop to 65% RH. That's going to take at least 8 weeks, and I'd give 'em 3 months just to be sure (that also being a pretty good rule-of-thumb for newly delivered cigars). The affects of temp swings are less sure. Minor or short-term swings are relatively insignificant, but major swings, especially extended times, are more concerning. But, they do eventually settle in. After all, cigars are shipped from Central America in freight containers that are known to reach well over 100° inside.
Very insightful, thank you you sharing that. Those are solid points.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts