Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take you to smoke a cigar?

Of course I know that different size cigars will take different amounts of time to smoke. What I mean is, do you constatnly have the stick in your hand puffing away or do you let it set in betweeen puffs?

Personally I am a speed smoker. I rarely set my cigar down. I think I developed this when I first started smoking. I primarily smoked in clubs and bars so I didn’t really want to set it down. And with a drink in the other hand the alcohol seemed to speed up the rate at which I puffed on the cigar. This is a habit I am trying to break, though. Now that I have settled down a little and most of my smoking is done by the pool or while walking my dog, I am trying to slow down and enjoy the cigar a little more.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
I've seen a lot of guys on the board say they take a minute between puffs. I guess I'm a speed smoker too, as I average about 30 sec. between puffs. Mouth filliing puffs. I did see one guy saying that the Puros Indios cigars were better when smoked with very small puffs every 10 seconds or so, and he was right :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my younger, dumber days I used to turbo-smoke my cigars. I can remember smoking the same cigar with a couple buddies of mine, and lighting up my second cigar when they're barely halfway through with theirs. Then again, they were talking a lot more than I was :D
I'm a lot better about it these days. If I'm reading a book & really into it, sometimes the cigar will even go out, I wait so long in between puffs...

·
Registered
221 Posts
I generally puff 2-3 times a row, about a minute apart....I'm not anal about it. What I like is volume of smoke....lots of it in big plumes, and depending on the cigar I need to work at that more. For example, with LGC Serie R maduro or the CAO Gol!, I can take it easy...those cigars just produce lots of smoke by definition for me. Tonight I had one of my AF Gran Reservas, Churchill sized, and they tend to produce less smoke and I work them a little more.

To each his own, which is what is great about this relaxing past-time. I think if you are focusing too much on # times to puff, you are concentrating on the wrong things and losing out on the meditation aspect of smoking. I am a Type-A by nature, and this is one of the few things I do that seem to force me to slow down.......

·
Registered
831 Posts
kscotty said:
To each his own, which is what is great about this relaxing past-time. I think if you are focusing too much on # times to puff, you are concentrating on the wrong things and losing out on the meditation aspect of smoking. I am a Type-A by nature, and this is one of the few things I do that seem to force me to slow down.......
Agreed.

Sometimes slow, sometimes fast.. wherever my mood takes me. I think that's the point.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I guess I could be classified as a "speed smoker" but lately I've been trying to take more time enjoying the cigar. Smaller pulls, more time between each pull equals a better smoking experience.

Ctop

·
Registered
623 Posts
I smoke as slow as I possibly can or pick a cigar size that suits. Smoking slow and being careful not to heat up the cigar too much makes all the difference. A lot of the true intended blend is further in the cigar, about to the halfway point. If you smoke to fast and char the cigar before this point, your missing 80% of what the cigar has to offer. Try slowing down sometime you will be rewarded. :D

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have realized that I smoke like a steam locomotive. I don't think more than 15 or 20 seconds passes between puffs, and many come more frequently than that. I'm going to have to try to follow cigartexan's advice. Say Jack, do you think that might be why all my cigars burn hot? :r

·
Registered
153 Posts
cigartexan said:
I smoke as slow as I possibly can or pick a cigar size that suits. Smoking slow and being careful not to heat up the cigar too much makes all the difference. A lot of the true intended blend is further in the cigar, about to the halfway point. If you smoke to fast and char the cigar before this point, your missing 80% of what the cigar has to offer. Try slowing down sometime you will be rewarded. :D
I try smoking slow, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way :w

·
Registered
290 Posts
Depending on size of cigar...It takes about 3 golf holes to finish one. In a typical 4 1/2 hour round, that's about 40-45 minutes. That includes setting it down when hitting or putting. I generally puff on it 2-3 times before I set it down, so it won't go out by the time I come back (2-5 minutes later).

Seems to work well for most brands and sizes, except those with really tight draws.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am a slow cigar smoker. I have smoked with many friends and am usually the last one smoking or will have smoked one cigar to their one and half or two cigars. (Depending on the size)

It usually is a good rule of thumb about a puff a minute. I agree that drawing longer and not puffing so much does help with not getting the cigar hot. That is usually one of the ideas I have when smoking a cigar is to not get it too hot. Agreed that the flavors you get are plenty of a reward.

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Petite; 25 minutes
PC; 35 minutes+
Corona; 45 minutes+
Robusto; 1 Hour+
Panatella; 1 Hour+
Toro; 1 Hour 30 minutes+
Pyramide; 1 Hour 45 minutes+
Churchill; 1 Hour 45 minutes+

I do not know if this is fast or slow, it is just the rate I smoke. I smoke at work and part of my job is to keep an eye on the clock, hence I keep track of the cigar. I put a + next to most of these, because I usually am doing something that changes the focus from the cigar, but I have had many cigars that required all else be put on hold! :w

Like alot of you, I'm the loser at the speed smoking, I think we have better cigars than everybody else so, "why hurry?" rns

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm an advocate of the 1 puff/minute school. I don't adhere to it strictly though. I determine my "speed" by how the cigar tastes. If I notice it starts getting hot, bitter or at all unpleasant, I let the cigar sit longer between puffs. In pipe smoking the old timers often recommend smoking at a rate just above letting the tobacco go out (did that make sence? ... the muses aren't with me). That might be something to shoot for when smoking a cigar. When possible I want to keep the smoke cool. As with a few other posters, when I smoke slowly, I can find more flavors and it tastes better to me.

I've thought that if the cherry forms a sharply pointed cone after ashing this may be a sign that I'm smoking too fast. I keep an eye on the ember after ashing to make sure it's more or less rounded. A flat-even ember seems like a sign that I'm smoking slowly (perhaps too slowly -- depends on the cigar); if it doesn't tunnel later on in the smoke I'm happy. I'd be interested to know if any of you look at the cherry or ember shape as a sign of smoking at a good speed. What do you think about it?

Here are some rough smoking times in my experience (depending on construction, humidity, other):
Corona: ca 45 min
Robusto: 45 min to 1 hour
Churchill: 1 hr 15 min to 1 hr 30 min

I don't smoke many cigars over 52 rg, larger than a Churchill or very many figurados. To me a good panatella, if smoked slowly, can deliver just as much flavor as any larger cigar. I'd say these probably take the most patience to smoke. It might be a good size to work on to develop slow smoking technique (for a sink or swim approach).

·
Registered
394 Posts
I believe I'm part of the ultra-SLOW smoker's club--especially during the work day. I have a home office and will sometimes take a few puffs and then go a minute or 2 before I pick it back up. I like a cigar that will wait for me...like my LCG Series R Serie R #6...is a special treat.

I'm often one of the last to finish (this is before I moved to a place where I know NO ONE who smokes) when my friends and I would get together. I just can't chug...I don't like it when a cigar gets too hot.

Hoss

·
Registered
16 Posts
relaxnsmoke said:
Petite; 25 minutes
PC; 35 minutes+
Corona; 45 minutes+
Robusto; 1 Hour+
Panatella; 1 Hour+
Toro; 1 Hour 30 minutes+
Pyramide; 1 Hour 45 minutes+
Churchill; 1 Hour 45 minutes+

I do not know if this is fast or slow, it is just the rate I smoke.
WOW! 1 hour for a Robusto. WOW!

I don't know if that's fast or slow, but compared to my timetable, I smoke at the speed of light. I knock off a Robusto in about 20-25 minutes. The Executives I smoke are 6-1/4 x 54, and they take about 30-40 minutes. I guess I take big DRAWS!

:D :D

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Me, I like to relax and smoke them as slow as possible!

:cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.