Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's always been my assumption that if you are aging cigars for months or years that the humidor should allow a small amount of air to transfer in and out to avoid mold.

But if you're not aging and just keeping your daily smokes in Tupperware it should be absolutely air tight.

I recently discovered that some of the Tupperware I've been using for years does indeed have a few air leaks. Is this an issue?

·
Super Moderator
17,474 Posts
It's always been my assumption that if you are aging cigars for months or years that the humidor should allow a small amount of air to transfer in and out to avoid mold.

But if you're not aging and just keeping your daily smokes in Tupperware it should be absolutely air tight.

I recently discovered that some of the Tupperware I've been using for years does indeed have a few air leaks. Is this an issue?
Any hygros? If they're reading consistent and you're not burning through boveda packs , you should be good. But I'd put a couple tuppers on my wishlist on Amazon and grab a couple when they go on sale. If they're on your wishlist or but later cart , you'll get a notification when they go on sale

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: bearinvt

·
Smoking Volunteer
4,797 Posts
If you’re going to age cigars for a decade or more, air exchange becomes a factor. But I don’t know anyone who is doing that kind of aging in a tuppedore.
Really long term aging you want to limit air exchange, putting cigars in single or double sealed plastic bags.
Shorter term, letting the cigars “breathe” a bit by keeping them in a SLB with a slight crack is the usual practice.
But unless you’re joining us in the multi decade aging club, don’t sweat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any hygros? If they're reading consistent and you're not burning through boveda packs , you should be good. But I'd put a couple tuppers on my wishlist on Amazon and grab a couple when they go on sale. If they're on your wishlist or but later cart , you'll get a notification when they go on sale

I put 3 hygros in one of the tupperdors and each one is different and fluctuates a little bit even though each one read the same as my weather station before going in.

I keep the tupperdor in a thermoelectric wine cooler at 65*.

My guess is that the fan from the wine cooler is pushing air into the tupperdor in small amounts. As a result I get different readings in different parts of the tupperdor. This is Sistema by the way. I decided to replace it with a Easy Essentials LockNLock and that sucker is air tight.

·
Super Moderator
17,474 Posts
If you ever decide you wanna do the decades aging thing. Bob's the guy to ask advice. I've got cigars over ten years old. But I'm not the model of consistency. I don't worry much about temp changes or rh fluctuations. As long as it's not too extreme I don't fret. That's not exactly the recipe for well aged cigars.. lol

Reactions: bpegler
1 - 6 of 6 Posts