Cigar Forums banner

how does someone lose a car door?

Tags
car door lose
1K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  kapathy 
#1 ·
I would like to know.... as i just hit one in the middle of the expressway on my way home doing about 75..... cars not looking so good lost about 1/2 tank of gas and lots of oil and there are huge sheared peices of metal missing from the bottom...... but i didnt get stranded in a shitty neighborhood, i made it home, woodsford on the rocks and i think ill smoke something good tonight.... just a car (06 corolla 135k, not a huge loss if its totaled)

#4 ·
Clearing accident debris off interstates and expressways can be a hurried experience, especially when a peeved state trooper is yelling at you to hurry up before someone goes to jail. Sounds like your FD had to cut someone out and the wrecker driver either overlooked it or it fell off of his truck. Lots of times around they just drag everything off to another place and re-secure it for the ride to the yard. Glad your ok, that's a pretty big chunk of debris to run over.

#5 ·
i doubt they were hurried lol they dont feel bad about blocking the entire expressway for as long as they want.... i think it was in the back of a truck enroute to or from a junk yard...... after getting home in the garage and see the bottom of my car i kinda feel like a dope for driving 30 plus miles afterwards

ps nice avatar lol

#6 ·
Damn man that sucks! Sounds to me like it caused havoc under your car though :( Lose of oil leads me to believe it ripped into the oil pan, lose of fuel maybe a puncture in the fuel tank, or one of the fuel lines. :( Definitely sucks bro I'm sorry to hear this!

#11 ·
Kevin, I'm just glad to hear you're alright man. Going that speed, hitting something that size could have been a really bad story!

I'm right with you on the Woodford reserve though, my favorite non-craft beer drink!

#13 ·
Didn't even notice your avatar! Been meaning to get a custom one uploaded but just haven't had time. It must be different up there as far as blocking off roads, down here they like them open as much as possible. I know it sucks for traffic to shut down, but we're just trying to be safe. Playing Frogger with patients, tools and equipment has taken a toll on all public safety numbers. Sounds like your car did a good job, considering its size vs the object. It got you home safe and sound. I'm willing to bet there is a truck in your future.

#14 ·
Kevin, I'm just glad to hear you're alright man. Going that speed, hitting something that size could have been a really bad story!

I'm right with you on the Woodford reserve though, my favorite non-craft beer drink!
Jordan, you and I are going to get along well! Craft beer, Woodford Reserve...you're speaking my language. Kevin, you were the first to mention it so you're speaking it too...though I can't relate to the "rocks" part. Gotta go neat, bro. Mmm...that's my favorite bourbon...but probably because I haven't had a lot of the other ones...yet...

Glad you're okay. That ended a lot better than I would have thought for running over a car door at 75. Glad you're okay and you've got a good perspective on things. It is "just a car" at the end of the day, especially considering what could have happened.

#15 ·
Jordan, you and I are going to get along well! Craft beer, Woodford Reserve...you're speaking my language. Kevin, you were the first to mention it so you're speaking it too...though I can't relate to the "rocks" part. Gotta go neat, bro. Mmm...that's my favorite bourbon...but probably because I haven't had a lot of the other ones...yet...

Glad you're okay. That ended a lot better than I would have thought for running over a car door at 75. Glad you're okay and you've got a good perspective on things. It is "just a car" at the end of the day, especially considering what could have happened.
yeah ive been told to go neat, im thinking of picking up some reusable ice cubes so i still get the chill but not the water

considering its size vs the object. It got you home safe and sound. I'm willing to bet there is a truck in your future.

already have a truck but the 100 miles each way commute would kill me on gas so ill cross that bridge over the next few days

#16 ·
yeah ive been told to go neat, im thinking of picking up some reusable ice cubes so i still get the chill but not the water
Just store it in a cool place (basement/cellar temperature) or chill it in the fridge for 15 minutes before pouring it. Too much chill will mute the flavors...but I can understand not wanting to drink it at room temperature! My wife likes the chill too and usually throws a cube or two in it. I just like it neat or with a few drops of water to open it up a bit. Aaaah...

...what were we talking about again?

#17 ·
so far new tires, new control arms, new lower bumper, repaint hood, under carriage shield, and for the real kicker hire an airplane welder to repair my tranny....wtf ive never heard of welding a tranny before all in all 2200 in damage to car worth 5000

#20 ·
I dont know why but I have this image of the welder looking at your tranny and telling you

"Its just plume, its fine" LMAO!!!

Im glad your OK man, that would scare the crap out of me!

#21 ·
they say the damage is all cosmetic so thats a good thing.... just sounds odd to have a tranny welded
Having done my fair share of welding (MIG) I would imagine that the outer portion of the transmission suffered damage. This would allow the tranny to leak and greatly diminish its life span :LOL:

Since the outer tranny case is almost always a cast metal that makes it very difficult to weld and get a good sealing of the case.

The area must be preheated with a torch before welding so that the surrounding areas are heated up and will take a "bead" better.

They could always gut out the innerds of the tranny and swap into a new case , but that would probably be 2 K right there.

Just my :2

#22 ·
Having done my fair share of welding (MIG) I would imagine that the outer portion of the transmission suffered damage. This would allow the tranny to leak and greatly diminish its life span :LOL:

Since the outer tranny case is almost always a cast metal that makes it very difficult to weld and get a good sealing of the case.

The area must be preheated with a torch before welding so that the surrounding areas are heated up and will take a "bead" better.

They could always gut out the innerds of the tranny and swap into a new case , but that would probably be 2 K right there.

Just my :2
A good TIG welder shouldnt have any problems.

#23 ·
lol guys i had the same feeling so i drove to the shop and talked to them, supposedly this guy pulls 3-4 jobs a year with them, usually welding tranny mounts that break, whereas mine in damage straight through the middle of the casing. anyways the weld will be guarenteed for as long as i own the car so i guess that not to bad

#24 ·
Nothing a little kitty litter won't fix. Smoke a Guten Cala to relax. Did you still have the cellophane on your transmission?

Seriously - very glad you're OK and the car is fixable.

#25 ·

considering its size vs the object. It got you home safe and sound. I'm willing to bet there is a truck in your future.

already have a truck but the 100 miles each way commute would kill me on gas so ill cross that bridge over the next few days
i ran over all kinds of crap with my truck most people couldnt do with a car, on really rainy days some parts of the road gets really flooded, there would be cars stalled left and right just sitting in the road, i would go wayling by in my truck just laughing.... i miss my truck, know im the guy in the car :mmph:

as for the drinks, click this big ass link i call a post.

#26 ·
Nothing a little kitty litter won't fix. Smoke a Guten Cala to relax. Did you still have the cellophane on your transmission?

Seriously - very glad you're OK and the car is fixable.
no i removed the cello before properly storing in my garage, next time ill leave it on for protection

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.