Cigar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I give up - before I ruin one of these, how do you get them open to remove the foam so you can replace it with beads or KL?

I have some of the round ones too.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts

I believe there are supposed to be some tabs on the back you can bend with a screwdriver... Don't quote me though. Easily could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Too easy. Need patience. Take a sharp knife and score it on the top, part were adhesive is, and score a couple of times around the whole thing. Than, find a small flathead or - screwdriver and wedge it in there and carefully pry it out. I have recently broken one doing this. The smaller the screwdriver the better. BE PATIENT. I have done this on 3 with no problems, I got impatient on the last one.

Good Luck

Edit: When u score do it on the inside of the lip.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I believe there are supposed to be some tabs on the back you can bend
no tabs

...score it on the top, part were adhesive is, and score a couple of times around the whole thing.
Edit: When u score do it on the inside of the lip.
the seam on mine is on the bottom - no adhesive that I can see

Some also have pins about 1" away from the corners.
no pins

notice quarter wedged in seam between the cover - it fits together like a box lid sliding over a box containing foam - that dimple in the center might be where it snaps together - which would be bad

·
El Jefe
327 Posts
Had the same one as you. Just took a flat head screw driver and jammed it into the seams all around. With this design the tabs are on the inside. Take some more quarters and put them in the seam all around.

I take it your taking out the foam and putting KL inside? I had the foam and it didn't do crap for me! Worst thing ever!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I take it your taking out the foam and putting KL inside? I had the foam and it didn't do crap for me! Worst thing ever!
You got it - a lot of guys end with these mold farms - just take out the foam and replace it with beads or KL and you are ready to roll.

Thanks for the info - I was afraid there was some big snap right in the middle that would be impossible to get to.

·
Banned
17,955 Posts
I"m one of those who just did 10 and got real quick and good taking them apart. Get a real good stiff blade and run it around the whole rectangle...this seperates the edges and then take the blade and run it all the way down the middle of one edge..then lift up until it disengages and then do the other side..then pull apart and you're good. Take that crap sponge out and put in KL...don't fill it up to the very top..leave about 1/8 of an inch of room to get the top back on and into the holes. Spritz some DW on the KL first...put the top back on and spritz a couple more times and you're in business.

·
Gun Toting American
212 Posts
To add on to the advice these guys gave you: I had the same humidifier, and all is took was a little muscle to break one of the sides loose.

Additionally, when I replaced the foam with KL, I attached them to the humidor lid. I noticed after opening and closing it several times, that it would sometimes let small crystals and "dust" from the KL fall into the tray. How I beat this was getting some unused nylons (like panty hose), cut them into a sheet a little wider than the metal mesh, and wrapped it around the metal only a few times. The RH in the humi is holding rock solid, and no more "dust" is leaking out onto my top shelf.

Good luck in project mode. I'm still in mine and it's been going on for a week.

·
A Squid founder, retired
3,361 Posts
Ken, if you have no luck with those, I've got two spares I'd be happy to part with. And you know I have your address. :tongue1:

These are cinch to open and close, and come preloaded with pearl kitty litter in some hi-tech Walmart kneehighs.

Let me know.

Attachments

·
Banned
17,955 Posts
To add on to the advice these guys gave you: I had the same humidifier, and all is took was a little muscle to break one of the sides loose.

Additionally, when I replaced the foam with KL, I attached them to the humidor lid. I noticed after opening and closing it several times, that it would sometimes let small crystals and "dust" from the KL fall into the tray. How I beat this was getting some unused nylons (like panty hose), cut them into a sheet a little wider than the metal mesh, and wrapped it around the metal only a few times. The RH in the humi is holding rock solid, and no more "dust" is leaking out onto my top shelf.

Good luck in project mode. I'm still in mine and it's been going on for a week.
I stopped putting them on the lid because of that reason...I just lay the credo on the top of a cedar sheet...no leaks and it's easy to get to and hydrate when it needs it. I'm usually a neat freak and like everything in it's place but it started becoming a PIA to dislodge the hygros and credos so I put them where I can get to them. In my tupperadors I keep the hygros on the side where I can see them and read the RH/temp while the credo is on one side or the other.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everybody - just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to brake off the snaps and have to trash.
And thanks Terry but no need - I picked up 5 of these for a buck a piece from satan, thanks for the offer though.
Puff community rules!

:first:

·
tube audio, cigars, booze
166 Posts
no tabs

the seam on mine is on the bottom - no adhesive that I can see

no pins

notice quarter wedged in seam between the cover - it fits together like a box lid sliding over a box containing foam - that dimple in the center might be where it snaps together - which would be bad
i see the problem..its stamped right there next to your thumb! :dance:

seriously though, arent those plastic welded shut? the xacto knife trick will work but be careful. i've run into similar design on some laptop power adapters.the way i've gotten those open is to put them in a vise and squeeze a little from all different angles. eventually you hear the pop and the seams bulge giving you some space to get a flathead in and pry. it isnt pretty.

·
Banned
17,955 Posts
I've got a short blade that you can't break...it's perfect for opening these things up. Slide it in...and then use the blade to pry it up first on one side then the other..voila'...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.