Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, for the longest time, used to only use a punch style cutter to cut my cigar. I was lucky enough to get in on the second group buy for a Palio cutter and I haven't been the same since. The Palio is the absolute best cutter I have ever used and I make sure it is close by anytime there is even a possibility that I may have a smoke.

Does anyone use a V-Cutter? I think this is an intriguing cut for a cigar, especially a torp. style.

I really wasn't looking to do a poll on this topic, I was just looking for everyone's preferred tool for cutting their cigar.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Generic two blade cutter, can't keep one around long enough to spend the money on a quality cutter.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I use a generic two blade cutter, although from time to time I will use a punch.

I had a cigar V-cut for me by Pierre Blatter at Blatter & Blatter in Montreal. Couldn't tell you it made a big difference, but I found it kind of cool! :)

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
I've only used a guillotine or bullet to cut my smokes and prefer the bullet. Sometimes the bullet mangles the cap and produces poor results, the guillotine has a tendency to also do damge if the cut isn't clean. Is there a better method? I like that the bullet produces the same size hole to draw from every time. Whats the difference between the other cutters

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
nice little xikar cutter... in leiu of that, teeth!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Could someone post a picture of a v-cut. I not every seen one. I am a young ape and still learning. Oh by the way I perfer full cut over a punch.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
flipflop said:
I have two Xikar cutters.

Never use a punch or vcut.
Same here. I only use a punch or v-cutter when I am smoking a sandwich.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like there are a lot of Xikar users out there. Have any of you used the Xikar and the Palio? If so, why do you like the Xikar better?

·
Punch Suckling in Brain
1,116 Posts
ff6849 Head over to jrcigars.com. They have the JR University, it would be fun reading for you. It will give you pictures of all different types of cuts.

I go with the 2 blade, has worked fine. Hopefully Santa will bring a new cutter this year.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I use a cheapo two-blade cutter I got at the local B&M on clearance. Works OK, but is starting to gum up a little. My father-in-law has a bullet cutter I've used a couple of times. Not bad for smaller ring guage cigars, but I really don't like it for the bigger ones. Probably going to get a Xikar or Palio early next year.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Palio, bullet, swiss army sissors (not the cigar cutters, the small sissors, any port in a storm), and sometimes my pocket knife. Some cigars don't take the plug well and the cap gets mangled. I prefer plugs, but I need to find a plug cutter that stays sharp. I had a Xikar plug cutter that was not worth the money...a disappointment. Now I have a cheap one.

I heard there is a ceramic one somewhere, but paying the cost of a box for a cutter bugs me. I almost did that for the palio, and I don't need to do that again for a Xikar or other cutter.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Depends on the stick. I usually start out with a punch if I expect a loose draw. Otherwise, I have a Zino/Davidoff guillotine cutter that does the job. I have a cheap v-cutter, but don't really like it.

GoatLocker

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just have a single blade guillotine cutter. I think I might to get a double blade or a Palio or something as they tend to cut cleaner. Usually the single does the job, but sometimes with a small cap it is a bit too ragged. Newbie here, so I might just be crappy at cutting. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.