Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how did and how long did it take before you got to this point?

I know I spent money I wish I would have saved on an extra 50 count when I should have looked ahead... maybe this thread can help other young apes like myself get an idea of what it can take to enjoy this wonderful hobby without a lot of extra expense. the whole issue of a 50 count usually not holding 50 is a good place to start... especially when you buy a couple of boxes and are out of room already.

So how many do you have and how big are they? How do you control the RH?

I started off with one 50 count that I bought at the local shop and then another with a sampler from an online deal.... those were full in a couple of weeks and than I got my killer deal on ebay http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10676

I am so happy now that I have a LOT of room to expand AND for it to not be so crowded that I cannot reach in to grab a smoke. I have my two 50 counts in there along with a LOT of other boxes now and what I like about it is that I just use the 50's for my go-to smokes right in the front and now I have been able to reclaim some desk space which is always at a premium since I am a Realtor and work from home a lot. Plus my Humi is in the closet right behind my desk so it is within arms reach and very easy to access/use.

The Moist n Aire humidification unit and another over humidification stabilizer has really nailed the RH for me at a nice stable 65 and I am going to use a pound of heartfelt beads on the top shelf to keep it balanced in the whole cabinet due to the size.

So what is your story? C'mon you fogs... give it up, how did you get here?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Frank, that's a great looking humi!

I grew my humidor the expensive way: 100ct, then 50ct, then 150ct, then 200ct, then another 100ct because it was really pretty.

I recently converted a wine cooler so now I use that and three of above small boxes.

Lesson: buy big early.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
nice humi.....mine is 5 cubic ft, so enough for 24 boxes LOL, maybe a few more. If IHT buys what he is thinking about I may have another Haier wine cooler to fill up. That will be great fun. But I started with a 150-200, then got a 500ct. But when I couldn't keep the temp down I want out and bought a Haier wine cooler and turned it into a Edison-a-dor. Been happy ever since. Best 300 bucks I've spent....besides my cigars :confused: :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a large size Savoy I bought from holts.com. Dunno how many it is supposed to hold. Two boxes on the bottom and 20 or so on the top shelf seems reasonable though. It was the first humidor I bought, got it for 100 dollars if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
When I first started decades ago, my first humidor was nothing more than an empty Padron cigar box I outfitted with a small humidifer (12-15 cigar capacity max)

Moved up to a 50 count or so inexpensive humidor a short while later.

Moved up into a nice quality 150 count within a year.

Bought numerous humidors over the next few years (approx 4-5 ranging from 100 to 150 capacity)

Bought a used cabinet style humidor (appox 3'H x 3'W x 1.5'D)

Rented 3 lockers in cigar lounges (2 in LA & 1 in Atlanta area)

Had a contractor friend of mine offer to build me a custom cabinet humidor for just the cost of materials. I had no idea at the time how long it would take and for the price I couldnt complain (over 6 months).

All oak and lined with spanish cedar. Mirrored back panel. Tempered glass doors. Mass storage in lower 1/3 along with 2 huge loose cigar drawers for singles. All shelves are cedar and adjustable for display purposes or can be leveled out to make the whole cabinet for mass storage.
Humidification has been a Moist n Air for a long time along with 4 lbs of 65% beads. Contemplating a chilling unit (Vinotemp 2500) to keep temps in the 65-70F range year round. Just thinking of hacking into the top or side of the cabinet for the cooling unit spooks me though I admit.

Approx size is 7.5'H x 4.5'W x 2'D

How much will it hold? I have no idea since I never got it 100% filled but more than I care to think about. The 2 drawers alone can hold close to 300 cigars each.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
This hobby can be very addicting. I'm on two desktop humis, one big tupperdor, and I just recently had to set up an even bigger tupperdor for a few boxes I had coming in. Now I'm looking at a endtable cabinet, but I want it cooled ($$$) My buddy got a bigger humi so now we are going to start doing box splits. I'm thinking of getting a second job just to support my hobby!!!
edit: WOW poker!!! Thats a very nice humidor!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
poker said:
When I first started decades ago, my first humidor was nothing more than an empty Padron cigar box I outfitted with a small humidifer (12-15 cigar capacity max)

Moved up to a 50 count or so inexpensive humidor a short while later.

Moved up into a nice quality 150 count within a year.

Bought numerous humidors over the next few years (approx 4-5 ranging from 100 to 150 capacity)

Bought a used cabinet style humidor (appox 3'H x 3'W x 1.5'D)

Rented 3 lockers in cigar lounges (2 in LA & 1 in Atlanta area)

Had a contractor friend of mine offer to build me a custom cabinet humidor for just the cost of materials. I had no idea at the time how long it would take and for the price I couldnt complain (over 6 months).

All oak and lined with spanish cedar. Mirrored back panel. Tempered glass doors. Mass storage in lower 1/3 along with 2 huge loose cigar drawers for singles. All shelves are cedar and adjustable for display purposes or can be leveled out to make the whole cabinet for mass storage.
Humidification has been a Moist n Air for a long time along with 4 lbs of 65% beads. Contemplating a chilling unit (Vinotemp 2500) to keep temps in the 65-70F range year round. Just thinking of hacking into the top or side of the cabinet for the cooling unit spooks me though I admit.

Approx size is 7.5'H x 4.5'W x 2'D

How much will it hold? I have no idea since I never got it 100% filled but more than I care to think about. The 2 drawers alone can hold close to 300 cigars each.
to you and Mr. Closet-a-dor

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So... since Poker mentioned it... and it is my next need for my stogie storage... what should i do to keep this thing cool? I saw the Vinotemp unit mentioned... are there any other ways to keep it at or below 70? It gets pretty hot where I live during the summer and it is already 72 in the humi right now. The RH is under control nicely... I am not afraid of cutting into it since it is not really furniture anyway.

I've been getting pretty concerned about this and I am glad it came up.

·
-
11,412 Posts
my first humi? you can ask Elisha to post a photo, i just gave it to him.
it holds around 100 cigars if they're thin enough.

my 2nd humi, a Ravello from tampa humidors.

my current humi, an edison-a-dor (wine chiller turned humidor - same as coppertops).

my next humi? probably one of THESE.

·
-
11,412 Posts
Franksmith said:
So... since Poker mentioned it... and it is my next need for my stogie storage... what should i do to keep this thing cool? I saw the Vinotemp unit mentioned... are there any other ways to keep it at or below 70? It gets pretty hot where I live during the summer and it is already 72 in the humi right now. The RH is under control nicely... I am not afraid of cutting into it since it is not really furniture anyway.

I've been getting pretty concerned about this and I am glad it came up.
i dont know what it would do to the humidity level, but i thought about this as well.
what about those plastic things ppl put in their freezer overnight before a picnic to keep their beverages cold in a cooler? y'know, it's like a sealed ice block in hard plastic... i wonder how well that would work? probably cause a lot of condensation.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IHT said:
i dont know what it would do to the humidity level, but i thought about this as well.
what about those plastic things ppl put in their freezer overnight before a picnic to keep their beverages cold in a cooler? y'know, it's like a sealed ice block in hard plastic... i wonder how well that would work? probably cause a lot of condensation.
That is a darn good idea until I come up with something solid... especially when it hits a real hot around here but I am a "need to be low maintenance" kinda guy... just ask the wife ;) If it is not easy to keep set up then I will most likely start slacking off. I have been thinking of trying to find a used and VERY small fridge to perform surgery on but that seems far fetched.

I looked at Ebay for a Vinotemp and there was not a single listing!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
The Humi I got now is a 300 ct Glasstop from Ebay. Before that it was a 50 ct I got from my Mother that was my Grandfathers (served as his Urn for a while too!) It took me 3 months to get to this point. Yikes!!! Rod that is a great Humi you got and for only 300 clams. Wow!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just have a 50ct humi that i probably want grow out of for a while b/c I'm a poor student

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
My first humi was about 100-150 count one that I got at a cigar shop in Seattle. A few years ago I got another 100 count one from JR that was part of a deal on Montecristo Afrique. I then started buying more boxes of cigars and upgraded to a small cooler. This last year I got a 150 quart cooler which is working out nicely.

I now only keep singles in each of the humidors and they're at about 1/3 capacity. I use my 150 qt cooler for most of my boxes. I use the smaller cooler as a quarantine for incoming cigars ever since I found a beetle in a CAO criollo.

I use beads from heartfelt in everything now and they work great.

·
Registered
691 Posts
First Humi was a Desktop Savoy 75 count...Just set up a 50qt Coolador with beads. I hope this will hold me for awhile. Would love to do a built in in the office in our new house. Once my business is running solid I may give Gordon a call and see if he is interested :D Who knows, maybe I will hit it big in vegas this weekend and then it will happen along with some serious smokes :w

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.