Cigar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else a hot sauce freak like myself??

If so, what are your favorites? I personally am a big fan of the old stanby Tabasco, but have a few other obscure favorites I found at a local hot sauce store.
I find myself eating more and more of the stuff every day - I'll go through a med sized bottle in a few days. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Don't even ask! We've got over 200 bottles of the stuff around the house. Ordered a case of Sontava XX for my wife when they quit carrying it locally. My favorite is the yellow-orange Scotch Bonnet sauces you get at the grocery stores in the West Indies - Barrons's and Sheik's to name a couple from St Lucia.

Got tired of the capsaicin-fortified versions Dave (of Insanity Sauce fame) and others came out with a while back. I prefer the honest heat from a real hot sauce!

:sb

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
funny you said that - i too hate the "fortified" sauces. Sort of like a flavored cigar in my book.
I have a bottle of yellow scotch bonnet sauce also - for some strange reason I find it to be really good on anything with BBQ sauce. Also good on poultry (just discovered today its good on a turkey sub too!)

·
-
11,412 Posts
not a tobasco fan at all, it tastes fake to me, and something else i don't like but can't put my finger on it.

i knew guys in the military that would put it on EVERYTHING... scrambled eggs, potato chips, etc. crazy. then hour later, we're in the field and they're complaining of indigestion?? gee, i wonder why?

i love super duper hot salsas for chips though!! there's a few family run mexican places outside of ft. bragg that i love to go to, they dont' speak any english, and i don't speak any spanish...
anyway, on one of my b-days, i was down there for business, so i went out by myself, found this spot, told them i wanted the HOTTEST HOT SALSA THEY HAD.

dude came back out 5 minutes later, kinda slowly set it down in a "stone" bowl, not the regular plastic kind... gently pushed it toward me about 3 inches, then backed up. he just stood there for a minute, looking at me, almost in amazement. i took a few scoops, chewed it all up, turned and smiled and said, "this is great, thanks." he kinda got wide eyed, took yet another step back for some reason, then walked off pretty quick.

that was THE BEST salsa i've ever had!! by the time my main course was coming out, i had to head to the bathroom to wipe all the sweat off my head/face. it was running down my face (i have a shaved head, so it doesn't just stay in my hairline, it just runs down my head) like they show in the airplane movie... i was wiping it off every couple of seconds, had to get a couple new napkins.

the guy came with my main course, grabbed the bowl, and it was pretty much empty (not a small bowl either), no chips left... he took off and i could hear them all speaking rather loud and fast in the back, don't know what they were saying...

gave them a $10 tip for my $10 meal... just excellent.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
That new Tabasco green sauce is the best. There's a national chain Chipotle that has a huge rice/bean + your choice of meat burrito that is huge. The green Tabasco sauce is jalapeno based and has just the right mix of flavor, salt and vinegar that really sets off the burrito. It's not that hot but it has that delayed heat that hooks you into eating more and more until you can feel your hair tingling on the top of your head(whats left of it). Eat a layer, splash on more sauce, eat wipe repeat. Good stuff

·
Registered
200 Posts
I believe that Tabasco has come out with a Chipotle sauce as well - smoked jalapenos, mmmmm.....I really like this stuff in chilis and other mexican/tex-mex foods.

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeh - Tabasco has a Chipolte sauce too. Its pretty good, but not very hot. I also tried the Tabasco Hanabero sauce. This stuff is a step up in heat, but it kind of tastes like a sweeter version of regular tabasco.

True, what you said about the military - my father got me hooked on Tabasco. He said he got hooked in Vietnam - would put it on everything

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
2nd that Poker... I love Tapatio and have about 5 bottles around my house. Have you ever tried it on Ceviche with fresh lime? I eat it about every day during the summer months... one of my favorites

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just bought and tried "Rock Your World" hot sauce. I realized after I got home its a side project of Joe Perry I guess - not a huge Aerosmith fan, but wow, the sauce was good! Not overly hot, but very tasty! Had a good smokey chiplote flavor.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I don't have a fav hot sauce...however if the food is hot and tastes good thats fine. What I hate is hot and that's it. Like the heat from the sauce is supposed to make up for the lack of flavor. It is supposed to complement the food not take over. But thats just my .02

:pu

·
Registered
272 Posts
I won a free breakfast in a drawing at LOLIII. Went over to the bar and grill type establishment there in downtown Springfield which serves a great breakfast BTW. Anyway, I was seated at the bar and couldn't help but notice the extensive assortment of fine hot sauces right there on the bar. Found one that was called "Spank My Ass and Call Me Sally" The label has a cartoon type drawing on it of a guy with his pants down and a big red hand print on his butt cheek. I picked up the bottle and proceeded to cover my eggs and taters with the sauce. AWESOME!

·
Registered
35 Posts
My favorite hot sauce is made by another local chef here in Florida and he calls it Bear Shit. It has a ton of flavor and a kick a$$ spice..

Chef Richard

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
I love buffalo wings with hot sauce all over them. I've always used Frank's Louisianna Hot Sauce with tons of Tabasco added. I would love to learn how to make some kick butt wing sauce myself. You guys have a favorite wing sauce?
SB

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SilvrBck - good question! I too am searching for a good wing sauce. I have done the franks red hot-tabasco thing a million times and it just doesn't taste as good as when you get them at a restaraunt. Anybody have a good recipie?

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
smokem-

I always brine the raw wings in salty water for 1 hour before frying them. Also, the restaurants put butter in the sauce. It kinda thickens it and mellows the sauce a bit but I don't care for it much. I also add a lot of freshly cracked pepper to the mix. I think that for the best flavor you have to make your own sauce. Emeril's website has this recipe I'm going to try.

20 tabasco or serrano chiles, stemmed and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch slices
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
3/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 cups water
1 cup distilled white vinegar

SB

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.